Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer» Forums » General

Subject: Ascension on iOS tournament! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tournament [+] Ascension [+] iOS [+] GameCenter [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm organizing an Ascension on iOS tournament via the "Ascension Fans" group on Google+. If you're interested in participating, please visit this link:

https://plus.google.com/b/117365369212353450948/117365369212...

Game on and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
* bump *

There are plenty of spots still available. If you don't have a Google+ account and would prefer to use your BGG account to communicate, that's perfectly fine. Just reply to this thread with your GameCenter ID and I'll do the rest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play.

Game Center ID: xmiyux

I rarely if every use G+ so would prefer communication on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not on google+ or even gmail, but interested in playing. Userid Alurax.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Preston
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to be in. GameCenter ID : codeman73

I'm on google+ and have followed the Ascension Fans group. Trying to figure out how to upload my W-L record...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
miyu wrote:
I would like to play.

Game Center ID: xmiyux

I rarely if every use G+ so would prefer communication on here.

What is your 2-player W-L record? I need that for the rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul King wrote:
I'm not on google+ or even gmail, but interested in playing. Userid Alurax.

What is your 2-player W-L record? I need that for the rankings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Win-loss is 800-540 at 2p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like in. ooogene is ID. Record is 26-17. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCenter ID: Adelaida_Boo
W-L record 2P: 11-13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul King wrote:
Win-loss is 800-540 at 2p

Wow! Any chance I could get a screenshot of that accomplishment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm out now. Just had the chance to read the google +. I can't do the 10 minute game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooogene wrote:
Sorry, I'm out now. Just had the chance to read the google +. I can't do the 10 minute game.

Thanks!

Oh. Never checked out the google.

Also out. I won't do 10 minute games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ten minute games are fine when you're online and just looking for a pickup game. I have my doubts about it for a tournament, though, it seems to be just asking for people to forfeit before they know the game's started, or spend days trying to get the invitation set up and accepted. 3 days seems about right - the game should be done inside of a week, and there are no worries about timing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul King wrote:
Ten minute games are fine when you're online and just looking for a pickup game. I have my doubts about it for a tournament, though, it seems to be just asking for people to forfeit before they know the game's started, or spend days trying to get the invitation set up and accepted. 3 days seems about right - the game should be done inside of a week, and there are no worries about timing.

I'm willing to be flexible. However, the tournament can't go on for a month, especially when each match is best-of-seven. Chugging through an entire match should go quickly once it's coordinated with your opponent.

I'm hopeful you reconsider. There are some heavyweights in the tourney and your record will rank you near the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't pulled out, but I don't think that the invite system isn't really enough for a scheduled ten-minute game without other communications. If you try to run a tournament with ten-minute games through the invitation system alone I can see a lot of problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul King wrote:
I haven't pulled out, but I don't think that the invite system isn't really enough for a scheduled ten-minute game without other communications. If you try to run a tournament with ten-minute games through the invitation system alone I can see a lot of problems.

A valid point, but that's why I'm running the contest through Google+. Google+ has a chat feature, making it simple to communicate with your opponent. Most participants will be using Google+ even though it's not required. In your particular case, it appears that you're in the UK (yes?), which would likely force your opponent to go to 3 day matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Bryan, you've erected a lot of barriers to entry here. I responded to your post over at the Ascension forums if you want more details, but here's a quick list of some of the potential turn-offs:

1. Google+

2. 10-minute games;

3. 4-of-7.

I've run a lot of online tournaments over the years, and I've hosted two fairly successful Ascension events that were centered around BGG. In reviewing the rules and regulations I established for my latest event (last fall), I'm struck by how streamlined I attempted to make the process as compared to some of the things you're attempting to do:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/707501/ios-ascension-hallowe...

Now, just to be clear: I'm not saying that that's the only way to run a tournament. There's quite a few differences that could easily be introduced. My emphasis is on how much more streamlined the whole process was as compared to some of the things you're attempting to do. You've got screenshots, apps, websites and all kinds of other superfluous stuff going on, and most casual tournament players just aren't looking for complications like that.

Anyway, take this FWIW. There's certainly more than one way to run an event.

I have replied to you on AscensionGame.com and will continue the conversation on that thread. If anyone else from BGG would like to sign up, this BGG thread can be used for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am in the UK - hence the microbadge. And given problems in past tournaments (opponents sometimes putting in one move a day) I'm very glad of the time limits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We have our winner! And a special prize! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to participate in the tournament. I genuinely appreciate it!

https://plus.google.com/b/117365369212353450948/117365369212...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Bryan for organising and to all my opponents (with, sadly, one exception, who vanished mid game) for making the tournament go so smoothly.

The last tournament I played, a while back, at times seemed like an exercise in frustration, waiting for opponents to make a move, and with the tournament organiser chasing results. That didn't happen this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul King wrote:
Thanks to Bryan for organising and to all my opponents (with, sadly, one exception, who vanished mid game) for making the tournament go so smoothly.

The last tournament I played, a while back, at times seemed like an exercise in frustration, waiting for opponents to make a move, and with the tournament organiser chasing results. That didn't happen this time.

You're welcome, Paul. Using Google+ proved to be a smart move -- communication was great and sharing pics of the scores added a nice visual history to the tournament. In fact, we were able to play at total of 87 games over the span of two weeks -- not too shabby considering players spanned the globe.

As I noted on the Ascension Fans page, we'll be doing another one *soon*, following the release of Storm of Souls on iOS, so I'm hopeful to see even more BGGers throw their hat into the ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
Huuuze wrote:
In fact, we were able to play at total of 87 games over the span of two weeks ...

Nice. The "live play" (I'm assuming most matches were played in one sitting) worked better than I would have imagined. And Challonge is pretty cool, isn't it?

I'd say most of the matches took place over a 24 hour period, depending on schedules (play 3 games -- walk away -- play the next 2,3,4 a little bit later). No one really stuck to the "10 minute rule", which is something I'll encourage next time, but not emphasize. Once you got going, you really wanted to see it through quickly.

And, yes, Challonge is great. It has a few annoying warts during setup, but it's a great way to track your tournament. I'll definitely use it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.