Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I don't normally play with variants or house rules. Usually, if I don't enjoy the base rules of a game I end up finding another game to play instead of trying to "fix" the former.

However, I love the mechanics of Quarriors. I love the dice-building aspect of the game as well as the unique take on scoring. It's fun to play and simple to teach.

I enjoy it so much that this one time I'm willing to take the time to chalk up some house rules to make it more enjoyable for myself and everyone that plays at my table.

Below, I will describe briefly what is now known around our house as Super Quarriors Advance (It's not really advanced. Nor necessarily super. But I love me some old school Nintendo, so there you go).

First, let me talk about some of the minor issues I have with the game, that I'm sure have been talked about on BGG before, but bear with me:

1 The Length - Or lack thereof. In my opinion the game is just too short. As soon as I feel that I've finally got some great dice in my bag, the game is about over. I'm sure there are more than a few of you who would agree with me on this one.

2 The Strategy - While this game wasn't built for a huge amount of strategy involved, it seems like adding a bit more couldn't be all bad right? In most games I find that you'll usually spend whatever quiddity you have on the largest costing die. And that's just kinda....boring.

3 The Endgame - While this isn't a huge issue, it's still a bit of a downer. There are some games that can end pretty quickly, just because a player got a few lucky rolls and jumped out the gate in front of everyone else.

So, while I'll say that its not a perfect "fix" to these issues, the variant we came up with I think has helped to address some of these issues as well as kept Quarriors on the table quite a bit.

Super Quarriors Advance

Additional items needed: 1 d10% and 1 d10 for each player (or paper and pencil)

d10-1 The biggest change to this variant is how the glory tracker will be used. Instead of tracking glory points, it will now be tracking turns.

2 player game: 20 rounds
3 player game: 15 rounds
4 player game: 12 rounds

This will not only lengthen the game, but it will do away with the small amount of scoring that is needed to win the game. That's where the d10% and d10 dice come in.

d10-2 Since there is a set number for rounds in the game now, there is no max set to the amount scored to win. Simply, after the final round, the person with the most points wins.

d10-3 Points are kept track of with the d10% and d10 dice. Or tally up with a pencil and paper.

d10-4 The next change is something that is actually being added to the advanced ruleset (which I was happy to see) in the new "Quarrmaggedon" expansion coming out later this year. During each turn, players are allowed to pay for two dice with their quiddity instead of just one.

This will help to add more strategy to the game. Do you go for that big #7 monster or do you grab a #3 spell and a smaller monster? The advantages of this rule has been discussed exhaustively on BGG, so I won't go into it any further.

d10-5 There is no endgame when there are 4 or more empty creature power cards.

With more rounds you are going to need more dice.....or are you? Don't make the mistake of loading up on a ton of dice and not cull the crap ones back into the wilds. But hey, if you choose to keep a bag full of dice, good for you....we play to the final round here!

d10-6 After the final round is complete (Round 20 for a two-player game), a final "bonus scoring round" will take effect, in which all of a player's dice from the discard area are placed in their bag.

Note that you can choose one creature dice that was in the ready area after the end of the final round to stay in the ready area!
All other dice will go into the player's bag for the bonus scoring round.

All players will simultaneously draw six dice as with a normal round and use them to place creatures in the ready area, in addition to the one already there. Creatures are then scored simultaneously as if they were still present at the beginning of a round.

Immediate effect spells can be played before bonus scoring is tallied, but no other attacking is done in the round (deal out those Death Spells!).

This bonus scoring round is used to help the endgame flow a little better. Otherwise in the final round, you are playing creatures that would never score since scoring always occurs at the beginning of a round, and in this variant there are a set number of rounds.

And there you have it.....take it or leave it, that's the version we play and have been having quite a bit of fun doing so.

The only other thing we've discussed doing was automatically having to cull spells back into the wild once they were used, but we haven't really had time to see how that would work out.

Would love to hear some feedback and any tweaking of rules that might help.

Thanks for your time, enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed number of turns really looks promising! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup I'll try that!

This can lead to another possibilities of scoring like adding extra points for the dice pool at end of game: somethig like (sum dice cost)/X - Y*(basic dice)

Here we have to use house rules too:
Two base captures;
On creature score: cull creature to earn glory or move it to used area and you may cull a die (more fast pool building and culling of corrupted quiddity);

With Q:RoD
Players start pool: 4 Assistants + 7 quiddity + 1 corrupted quiddity
Corrupted creatures: 2-3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for fixed number of turns. I can't wait to try this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
igorknop wrote:
On creature score: cull creature to earn glory or move it to used area and you may cull a die (more fast pool building and culling of corrupted quiddity)

I have heard of this option before. I'll have to give it a try.

Would def add even more decision making to each round of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to add the Bonus Scoring Round section earlier. The variant rules for that have now been added into the original post.

Also, we tried the option of putting spells back into the wilds once they were used tonight, but it didn't seem to do anything for the gameplay. It'd be an interesting option for a four player game maybe, but other than that I can't see it really doing much for the variant.

You're too busy loading up on creatures and a balanced number of spells, that putting them back into the wilds just by using them had us wasting turns on buying them back. Seemed kind of counter-productive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Ferguson
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
When's the Gameboy Advance port of this coming out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Coggins
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WestonTheFox wrote:
When's the Gameboy Advance port of this coming out?

Japanese import only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Ferguson
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
A MAN CAN ONLY PLAY SO MUCH DUNGEON DICE MONSTERS BEFORE HE NEEDS SOMETHING MORE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisha Holloway
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsupThanks for this, definitely going to try playing fixed rounds. The 'bonus scoring round' looks interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Vasiadis
Greece
Vari
Attiki GREECE
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott,
thanks for the effort. Will try! I agree to most of the points you made about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.