Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bush
United States
Shipman
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Twixt is listed here as a two player game, but the 3M and Avalon Hill rules mention a four player version with two teams. Partners sit opposite each other, and play proceeds counterclockwise. The players on each team have the option of calling "privilege" once for their team during the game. This has the effect that the partner of the player who called privilege gets to move immediately after, skipping the opposing player, and that team does not get to call privilege again in the game. So, if you call privilege too soon in the game, the opposing team will likely be able to win with a well timed privilege call later in the game. That being the case, each side tries to create a position where a double move would be so devastating that the opposing team will not be able to recoup with their own double move. You're not supposed to discuss moves with your opponent during play.

I've not played this that I recall, but I knew some players in college who liked it. Now you see, I'm the one who decided Twixt should be listed as two player. It occurs to me I might have been a bit pushy about that. I may be perceived as something like the local Twixt guru. Maybe there are players who enjoy DT but they don't want to cause a fuss and challenge my alleged authority.

Has anyone played this? Should the number of players be changed to 2 or 4? Thanks for your consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I say you go with what the publisher says. They published four player games and claim it is four player.

But should BGG list team games separately from multi-way games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not personally, but I've regularly brought Twixt to public game nights that I'm hosting and teach it to kids as a team game. They seem to enjoy it that way quite a bit.

Main difference from the regular rules is that once per game you can have your teammate make their move right after yours. For the rest of the game, teams alternate (you sit opposite your teammate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
To me there's a big difference between a real 4-player game and a 2-player game that's being played with 2 teams of 2 humans.

Every 2-player game can be played 4-player by making 2 teams of 2, and indeed many are (e.g. pair Go, for which tournaments are frequent, even - yet Go is not listed here as a 2-4 player game.)

So my initial reaction is that it seems redundant and pointless to call Twixt a 4-player game... And why stop at 4, when you can play with 6 people, 2 teams of 3? Etc.

PS: I can grok the opposing argument, that the publisher proposes the 4 player variant. But I also note that the box cover only mentions 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
But I also note that the box cover only mentions 2 players.

The back says four players in teams of two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.