Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My worst fears have come to pass... registration opens on a Monday, when I'm in meetings all afternoon. I'll certainly be trying to register after my last meeting though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Someday we can get up to 4-5,000 people at this location, but we won't be anywhere near there, simply for a matter of logistics and growing smartly.

Last year there was a lot of contention for popular games in the library; can you speak to how that's going to be scaled up for more attendees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anne Freitas
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
No one expects the Anne-ish Inquisition!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So thrilled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Someday we can get up to 4-5,000 people at this location, but we won't be anywhere near there, simply for a matter of logistics and growing smartly.

Last year there was a lot of contention for popular games in the library; can you speak to how that's going to be scaled up for more attendees?

Disputes and check-out slots for popular games will be settled and assigned like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Morganza wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:

Disputes and check-out slots for popular games will be settled and assigned like this:

[youtube video]

Or via a game of Fluxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lil Red Head wrote:
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Morganza wrote:
CaptainQwyx wrote:

[youtube video of classic Trek fight scene]

Or via a game of Fluxx

Sounds more like time for a sequel to Start Player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura, just Laura
United States
Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I succeeded in booking a room at the conference rate, but I should probably point out a possible glitch that may cause difficulties for others and/or limit the number of nights stay that the con gets credit for. Not asking anyone to fix it, just thought I should mention it somewhere in case organizers want to work with hotel on it:

Although using the link at http://boardgamegeek.com/bggcon brings up a Hyatt page that clearly shows the conference rate as being available Nov 10-22, if you try to book an arrival before Nov 13 or a departure after Nov 19 it shows the outside dates as "Sold Out, Not Available". And yet, the hotel has rooms available on those dates,at regular rates, if you don't use the BOARDGAMEGEEK code/link.

This may just be the way things are, if the hotel doesn't want to give up too many rooms at the con rate on those days. But in case it isn't what the organizers expected, thought I should flag it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great... I see that nobody under 12 is permitted... cool & understandable... but is there any childcare provision for those of us who must bring rugrats in order to be able to attend? Grandma and Grandpa are only in it for maybe two nights... robot
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mb
JuliaZ wrote:
This sounds great... I see that nobody under 12 is permitted... cool & understandable... but is there any childcare provision for those of us who must bring rugrats in order to be able to attend? Grandma and Grandpa are only in it for maybe two nights... robot
Thanks
There hasn't been in years past. Check with the hotel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

d10-4 You must bring a printed copy of the confirmation email with you to the convention

Is this bit new as well? A change in the registration process? Is there any leeway for, say, some forgetful person from NJ who might forget to bring his email? Is viewing the email on a smartphone enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie DuBois
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
leroy43 wrote:
JuliaZ wrote:
Thanks
There hasn't been in years past. Check with the hotel?

EDIT: Apparently you should check with the hotel. I just noticed that child care services is on the hotel's list of amenities.

My original advice was:
Self organize. Use the forums to find other parents who are also in need of child care and either hire a local and share the costs or take turns watching each others children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
LOL....like it wont sell out before May 1st

Is this expected to be accurate?

Having to be certain nearly 7 months before the convention starts would be a major con (no pun intended) in the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love BGG.CON, but please find a way to keep the convention secure without having to wear a plastic wristband 24 hours a day that you can't remove for several days.

I didn't wear anything like that at Origins, just a badge. I haven't been to other cons, but I've never heard of anything but badges as far as indentification. Is there not a way to make the badge sufficient?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
Quote:
LOL....like it wont sell out before May 1st

Is this expected to be accurate?

Last year it sold out in less than 5 days. In previous years it has sold out in several weeks. I'm not sure it's ever made it longer than the pre-order price lasts.

This year should be a significant increase in size, which will hopefully mean it won't sell out in three hours or anything. Still, a very large number of people are going to be clicking "Refresh" repeatedly next Monday to avoid getting shut out.

There has always been a very active after-market for tickets, so it's a pretty sure bet that if you buy a ticket and then end up not being able to attend, you'll be able to sell it, at least up to a month or two before the con (and quite possibly up to a week before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I didn't wear anything like that at Origins, just a badge. I haven't been to other cons, but I've never heard of anything but badges as far as indentification. Is there not a way to make the badge sufficient?

Wristbands are required at Kublacon, the only other con I regularly attend. From what I've heard they're pretty common at other cons and similar events.

Last year at BGG.con (and probably previously as well) there were several instances of people trying to cheat and gain entrance either without paying, or by sharing an admission. It's a highly desirable place to be, and the larger it gets, the more Bad People(tm) are going to try to game the system. Currently wristbands are the best known way of minimizing these problems. IMHO, honestly they're barely noticeable after an hour or two anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
If I register for the Con, do I need to book hotel rooms immediately or can that be left until later? Are there enough hotel rooms allocated for all Con attendees?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
If I register for the Con, do I need to book hotel rooms immediately or can that be left until later? Are there enough hotel rooms allocated for all Con attendees?

Booking a hotel room is refundable so there's no downside to doing it now (unless you don't have a credit card). The more rooms booked the more tickets they can sell (as mentioned above by Jeff), and the better they can plan the con.

There's no rule that you have to book a room now, but it helps them out if you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

I'm sure someone with official info will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe last year's block of rooms had to be extended several times. I believe two bed rooms were more popular than one bed rooms and getting the former at the discounted rate became harder as the Con approached.

Personally, I'd book it early. You can cancel up to 24 hours before your reservation begins without any penalty, so there is very little downside in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I love BGG.CON, but please find a way to keep the convention secure without having to wear a plastic wristband 24 hours a day that you can't remove for several days.

Barring medical concerns, I really don't see why this is such a big deal each year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended for the first time last year in 2011 with my wife, courtesy of the Queen Games contest.

It was the best vacation getaway we've had in years! And not just because it was free... the staff, Frank from Queen Games, just everything was fantastic fun. Haven't smiled so much in a long time.

We'll see you there this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Barring medical concerns, I really don't see why this is such a big deal each year.

Because other conventions -- both bigger and smaller conventions -- seem to be able to handle the issue just fine without wristbands. It may seem only a minor inconvenience to you, but to others it's a major one.

#notsayin

#justsayin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
Progmode wrote:

Because other conventions -- both bigger and smaller conventions -- seem to be able to handle the issue just fine without wristbands. It may seem only a minor inconvenience to you, but to others it's a major one.

#notsayin

#justsayin

In what way?

I'll note that it's not so major an inconvenience that the naysayers choose not to attend. The terms of attendance are clearly stated up front and attendance is optional. I've yet to see an argument presented (again, medical issues excluded) that didn't amount to "But I don't wanna!"

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not trying to stifle discussion of the matter, but it has been made abundantly clear by the powers that be that the wristbands are here to stay. I'd like to think that they'd be receptive to viable alternatives, but that means viable alternatives need to be suggested. "Please don't" isn't going to get anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of us "local attendees" are interested in knowing if the hotel will charge for parking.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
sobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesoblue
Between upcoming surgery, a baby on the way, and family committments I cannot attend. Tis a sad day indeed...
sobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesobluesoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
All your base are belong to us
mbmbmbmbmb
Progmode wrote:
Opie wrote:
Progmode wrote:

#notsayin

#justsayin

In what way?

I'll note that it's not so major an inconvenience that the naysayers choose not to attend. The terms of attendance are clearly stated up front and attendance is optional. I've yet to see an argument presented (again, medical issues excluded) that didn't amount to "But I don't wanna!"

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not trying to stifle discussion of the matter, but it has been made abundantly clear by the powers that be that the wristbands are here to stay. I'd like to think that they'd be receptive to viable alternatives, but that means viable alternatives need to be suggested. "Please don't" isn't going to get anywhere.

I'm in favor of a tattoo for each year. Then I can proudly wear my attendance record for years to come.

However, that might make registration a little slow, but we wouldn't hear any more whining about the wrist bands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.