Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: drama-llama [+] [View All]
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This horse has been well flogged. Please let her rest now.

Periodically I'll read negative refrences to FFG games like, "Too bad its a FFG game" or "Just keep in mind that it is a FFG product"

Being new to the hobby and looking at my short list of games, I have several FFG games and dare I say I like them.

So what is the back story?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG rocks.

They've done some remakes I haven't loved, but I think they're a great company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Not many people say FFG consistently makes bad games, just that the rule books aren't very good the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:
Periodically I'll read negative refrences to FFG games like, "Too bad its a FFG game" or "Just keep in mind that it is a FFG product"

Being new to the hobby and looking at my short list of games, I have several FFG games and dare I say I like them.

Shrug. I think I've seen a comment before about all the bits with their games, but other than that I've never seen any "hate" towards them. I think they are the bomb diggity! Love their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pojopep wrote:

Nothing wrong with FFG games, but there are certain expectations with them. Great components, thematic game play and often a lot of minor rules with exceptions to those rules. There are exceptions to this rule, but most FFG games follow this model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be an assumption that FFG designs with expansions in mind, perhaps insofar as releasing an "incomplete" game in the knowledge that they can make more money through expansions which complete the play experience.

There have been a few problems with ambiguous game rules, requiring lots of FAQing. Sometimes FFG are not as quick at getting the FAQs out as gamers would like and the observation has been made that they shouldn't be necessary if thorough playtesting or proofreading had been conducted in the first place.

I'm not saying these complaints are necessarily true or that I agree with them completely, but that's what I've read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
FFG: Sloppy rules, too much emphasis on theme, overwrought game-obscuring art, and excessive reliance on random events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
There seems to be an assumption that FFG designs with expansions in mind, perhaps insofar as releasing an "incomplete" game in the knowledge that they can make more money through expansions which complete the play experience.

There have been a few problems with ambiguous game rules, requiring lots of FAQing. Sometimes FFG are not as quick at getting the FAQs out as gamers would like and the observation has been made that they shouldn't be necessary if thorough playtesting or proofreading had been conducted in the first place.

I'm not saying these complaints are necessarily true or that I agree with them completely, but that's what I've read.

Too much FAQing around!? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The picture is becoming clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are the big boy on the block, so they take some grief for being our “niche Hasborg.”

Labyrinthine rule books, overwrought design, & unmet expectations seem to be most hurled barbs. (Take a look at the MoM, Elder Sign, or Android formus, for example.)

They also take some heat over reprint decisions.

Personally, I love them and I am more likely to buy something if it is FFG. My last two purchases were whim purchases of Nexus Ops and WizWar. I might have bought those at some point, but I bought them now because they were FFG. I knew they would do justice to something crazy like WizWar.

At the end of the day, though, we are a tough lot to please. Almost all these companies take heat for stuff that is not really their fault or for decisions that are based on taste. Heck, some companies even get taken to task for giving out promos or storms in the East China Sea. I think FFG maybe gets more simply because they are bigger than most.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
I've only got two of their games - both seem to
be euroish remakes of games that were originally
designed with a better grounding in believable mechanisms.

For one (Warrior Knights) I think they improved upon
the original. For the other (TI3 - and the whole TI franchise
was theirs), I can't speak for certain; but the euro elements
certainly stood out as just those which made the game
unpleasant for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Evans
Wales
Rhondda
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
They're a rubbish company, still no expansion for Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Fuchs
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought any of their games—they're intriguing, but not up my alley enough for the price point—but this year-end summary by
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seems to make what seems like a coherent aesthetic argument against their 2011 output:

http://illuminatinggames.blogspot.com/2012/01/2011-year-in-h...

The relevant section:

Quote:
Secondly is the apparent implosion of Fantasy Flight, the most significant publisher of hobby boardgames designed and sold in America (other major US publishers in our segment like Rio Grande have very large percentages of their catalog made either in Europe or by European expertise; on the other hand, for Wizards of the Coast, boardgames are just a sideline). Fantasy Flight has always been a frustrating company for me, as in the past they’ve been able to routinely come up with good ideas and then routinely drop the ball on basic execution, but I kept hoping they’d learn to execute. This year, I flipped from hoping to writing them off. Their output is of course rather large – 2011 releases fill two pages of search results on BoardGameGeek – but everything I played this year was completely derivative and dire, well beyond even my jaded expectations of mediocrity. The Lord of the Rings Card Game is just an unimaginative retread of every other LCG they’ve done, devoid of thematic material and with major packaging problems. Mansion of Madness is a soulless dungeon crawl with tedious gameplay and painfully un-fun scenarios. Elder Sign is a confusing mess (subsequently ported to iOS/Android and made – almost unbelievably – even more incoherent). Rune Age is just every deck-building idea available thrown into a blender without any sense of taste or artistry, with predictably ugly results. These are not near-misses, or good ideas poorly executed. This is the result of someone playing at owning a game company. I am really not looking forward to seeing them mangle the Star Wars license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think FFG is a great company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Goyes
Colombia
Bogota
Cundinamarca
flag msg tools
It’s true hard work never killed anyone, but I figure, why take the chance? - Ronald Reagan
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is my favorite games company!

They made Arkham Horror and Battlestar Galactica among others.

FFG Rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
No one says FFG makes bad games, just that the rule books aren't very good the first time around.

Speak for yourself. I say FFG makes bad games. They publish some nice stuff, but the things they design in-house are uniformly bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like FFG, but Euro-gamers are probably opposed because FFG is primarily Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Adamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a couple FFG releases, have played several more, and generally enjoy them. However, there are two things that could keep me from buying or make me disappointed that they are releasing a game:

1) It's going to be a long game with lots of rules that is difficult to explain to non-avid gamers. This isn't so much a problem with the game, just with my ability to bring it to play.

2) It's going to be very pretty, and thus very expensive. This is the case with Wiz War.

However, I don't think I'd ever say "Just keep in mind that it is a FFG product".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't this always happen to the leaders?

What about Magic and Apple for instance? Microsoft earlier? Edit: USA?

As the leader yoǘ'll get noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
cannoneer wrote:
NBAfan wrote:
No one says FFG makes bad games, just that the rule books aren't very good the first time around.

Speak for yourself. I say FFG makes bad games. They publish some nice stuff, but the things they design in-house are uniformly bad.

A publishing company that Kick Starter self publishers aspire to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Robot
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are they really the leader or just the flashiest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Gosport
flag msg tools
mb
FFG are a great company, and they release great games, but they blatantly churn some games out without properly developing and playtesting them. The flak they get for this is entirely justified and, frankly, if they continue to do it when there are vocal criticisms one wonders what it would be like if there were none...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Chance
United States
flag msg tools
mb
As an owner of Arkham Horror and many expansions, I am a fan FFG just by the money I had spent.

I want to hear the opinions from fans of Ameri-style but not fans of FFG. Otherwise, I'll just think its devoted fans of Euro are boasting their advanced sense of enlightenment.

There is room for both in the world. I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I like FFG games a lot, but yes, their rulebooks almost uniformly contain excessively vague or incomplete rules. This wouldn't be so bad, but these things generally come up within the first few plays of a game, leading to the conclusion that they very likely would have come up in 100 or however many playtest games should have occurred as well.

The sad part is that most of the problems could be (and often are in FAQs many months later) fixed with a single, short sentence that magically seems like it should have been there in the first place. As I said, I enjoy FFG games, but there is a serious disconnect between the rules writing/playtesting and the fact that gamers generally like their rules to be concise and complete. (Also, it's annoying when the only place you find certain rules is in the examples (which I am grateful they include, because without them the rules would be even more illegible).)

Cheers,

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [20] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.