Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit I haven't had a full play of this yet but after reading the rule book and playing around single player I don't understand how and why you would use temporary contractors when you can buy a regular guy? Are contractors used when you run out of a certain type?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. As the game progresses you will run out of workers in your own color. In fact, as the game progresses, certain contractor worker types will become unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The 3 for 1 universities would be somewhat useless if not for the contractors. Also, the game would be less interactive without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OOOOO makes sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, at some point well before the end of the game, most players will collect most or all of their workers. Then the contractors (all types) start getting a lot of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, you ONLY use a contract (grey) worker when you DO NOT have one of your own color to aquire. So there is not an option of using them instead of your own, it's once you're out and you still make some then you go to the contractors. They can be used in many interesting ways from to block other peoples buildings to extending your turn to stay camped out on a space on the main board to helping build a bomb.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
To be clear, you ONLY use a contract (grey) worker when you DO NOT have one of your own color to aquire. So there is not an option of using them instead of your own, it's once you're out and you still make some then you go to the contractors. They can be used in many interesting ways from to block other peoples buildings to extending your turn to stay camped out on a space on the main board to helping build a bomb.

James

Is that stated in the rules? Didn't see that distinction in there, although I may have missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
bigloo33 wrote:
Is that stated in the rules? Didn't see that distinction in there, although I may have missed that.

I agree, this clearly contradicts the rule on page 9 regarding Universities 'You must take these workers from the General Supply. You may choose permanent Workers or Contractors (subject to availability).' Also, in the example on page 5, it is even explicitly mentioned that not all of Red's workers have been acquired yet, yet she also has contractors already.

If James' explanation is the way to go, it also renders the fiendish strategy of spying with contractors a lot less attractive. (Doing so causes double pain for the spied-upon player: not only has he lost the ability to use the building; it becomes free only when he, and not the person doing the spying, is performing a worker callback.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you may choose contractors first - even before you have collected all of your permanent workers. In practice, though, it's something you'd almost never want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always deferr to the rules when possible so if that's whatthe rules say then it's acceptable. Though I still see very little reason to ever grab contractors before you get your own

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
What? You make with the funny stuff?
badge
I don't feel tardy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying, Brandon. Just playing my first learning game now, and it is all coming clear. Some really tasty strategies are starting to emerge. Can't wait to get this to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you spy with contractors? Our interpretation was no b/c if you spied with a contractor, you would lose track of whose contractor it was. Did we miss this clarified in the rulebook somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you may spy with contractors. You may use contractors for literally everything you can use permanent workers for.

Once a contractor is used, there is never any need to remember whose it was.

Contractors that you place on your opponent's board will return to the general supply when your opponent retrieves his or her workers. This is covered in the rules for Worker Retrieval. It doesn't say this explicitly, but if the retrieval rules are followed accurately, this is what will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It was my life, like all lives, mysterious and irrevocable and sacred. So very close, so very present, so very belonging to me. How wild it was to let it be.
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
Yes, you may spy with contractors. You may use contractors for literally everything you can use permanent workers for.

Once a contractor is used, there is never any need to remember whose it was.

Contractors that you place on your opponent's board will return to the general supply when your opponent retrieves his or her workers. This is covered in the rules for Worker Retrieval.

Hmm, so last night a player spied with her purple worker and a contractor on one of my buildings. When she called her workers home, does only the purple worker leave and the contractor remain on my building until I call my workers back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmanthony wrote:
That is correct.

Thanks, Brandon. And btw, fantastic game. Raised my rating to a 9. Really nice innovation on the w-p genre. I liked knowing my opponents' building tableaus as well as my own and being aware of when they would/would not most likely pull workers back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Silverstein
United States
Ramsey
New Jersey
flag msg tools
If I have acquired Contractors on previous turns, which I have not yet place on the Main Board or on any of my buildings, what happens to them when I recall my workers on a subsequent turn? Do I get to keep them for placement on future turns or must I put them back in the General Supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
They go back to the general supply, along with all the ones on your player board, and all the ones on the main board (but not other player's player boards).
I believe I answered this exactly backwards order of the rules in the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an easy, though somewhat inexact way to look at worker retrieval. Contractors on the Main Board go back to the general supply. Everyone gets that. But beyond that, all that happens is that your entire personal space resets. Keep that in mind, and everything else sort of follows naturally. Take back all your permanent workers, clear all your cards and test counters, and put any of your unused contractors back in the general supply. Then take a look at your personal space ... it has completely reset.

Also, it's a very good habit (and a quick one) to make sure that all 12 of your workers can be found in either your personal supply and in the general supply. I often check this for other players when they retrieve their workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
James,

You would use contractors simply to deny your opponents the chance to get them. Then you are free to use your workers while your opponents are stuck with possibly only their own workers or having to retrieve workers.

RPGShop wrote:
I always deferr to the rules when possible so if that's whatthe rules say then it's acceptable. Though I still see very little reason to ever grab contractors before you get your own

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
James,

You would use contractors simply to deny your opponents the chance to get them. Then you are free to use your workers while your opponents are stuck with possibly only their own workers or having to retrieve workers.

I understand that but I really can't see where blocking someone else from getting a 1 turn use worker would ever be worth more then getting one of your own permanent works added to your staff.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGShop wrote:
I understand that but I really can't see where blocking someone else from getting a 1 turn use worker would ever be worth more then getting one of your own permanent works added to your staff.

I've both been, and played against someone who needs X contract workers for their engine to run smoothly, denying them one contractor gives me ~3 turns to try to catch up. And on one of those turns I can use that contractor on the mainboard university to claim my permanent worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Yaverot,

The game is all about engine building. If you can make someone's engine misfire, then it can be good for you in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Godfrey
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played for 1st time last night and it was very enjoyable.

One thing that we did get confused about was who placed which contractor on the main board. Its easy to identify my own workers ( i was blue) when i did a recall but the grey ones did get missed a few times.

Am i doing something wrong here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krossover wrote:
Played for 1st time last night and it was very enjoyable.

One thing that we did get confused about was who placed which contractor on the main board. Its easy to identify my own workers ( i was blue) when i did a recall but the grey ones did get missed a few times.

Am i doing something wrong here?

It doesn't matter who placed a contractor on the main board... contractors on the main board clear whenever ANYONE retrieves their workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.