United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
I got it...

Offset the cost of tattoos with a sponsor like 5-Hour Energy drinks. They could infuse the tattoo with a time-released dose of their drink...making each attendee's first 5-Hour Energy drink of the convention ON THE HOUSE!!!

Clearly we have a winner here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Replacement wristbands - $5-$10 a day for a new wristband, 4 days, $20 - $40, Logistical cost is arranging 4 extra stops to get a new band every day, verify ID, return old band, etc.

$5-$10 per wristband is what they have said they'd charge. I very seriously doubt that it's the raw cost of each additional wristband and the rest of the cost is to cover logistics and to provide a barrier that prevents them from having the nightmare of hundreds of people doing it. The reg lines every day would be awful.

Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Tattoos - $2 - $5 upgrade charge. Logistical cost is one trip, the same one where you pick up your badge, that takes 1-5 minutes longer to apply the tattoo. Total upgrade cost is $5, and logistically the convention doesn't have to meet with you for your alternative solution ever again.

Cheaper and logistically easier - viable option.

Make sense?

Nope. You're forgetting that they have to work with a separate supplier (extra wristbands come from the same place as the standard ones), maintain a separate inventory (extra wristbands are stored with the standard ones), provide an ersatz tattoo parlor (which probably has its own equipment needs), train the volunteers on what to do (application would HAVE to be in a standard location and the volunteers would have to apply them just as they're required to put the wristbands on us), and monitor the rooms for different security solutions. All of which are far from "logistically easier."

I don't expect you to actually agree with any of this, but adding all of this overhead for a very very small minority? Not something I see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

I don't expect you to actually agree with any of this, but adding all of this overhead for a very very small minority? Not something I see.

Your expectations are accurate. The same as I don't expect you to agree with any alternative presented here.

But that begs the question as to why you spend time on this thread in the first place? If wearing the same wristband for 5 days doesn't bother you, what do you gain by being, erm, "brisk," with everyone that is bothered by them? Do you own the company that makes the wristbands or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
jsciv wrote:

Your expectations are accurate. The same as I don't expect you to agree with any alternative presented here.

But that begs the question as to why you spend time on this thread in the first place? If wearing the same wristband for 5 days doesn't bother you, what do you gain by being, erm, "brisk," with everyone that is bothered by them? Do you own the company that makes the wristbands or something?

whistle

JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
jsciv wrote:

It doesn't beg the question, it raises the question. Ah, the erosion of the English language at work...

Why am I participating? Because I'm interested in viable alternatives. It is possible to accept the wristbands yet still be interested in viable alternatives.

That doesn't mean I have to agree that ANY alternative is good. If there are flaws in the plan then maybe the plan isn't good, but the two of you (and I only see two of you consistently speaking in favor of tattoos) seem so enamored of this one alternative that you can't see the flaws and thus we haven't seen any new ideas in a while.

Not sure why you feel the need for an ad hominem one-liner at the end, but no, I do not own the company that makes the wristbands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Replacement wristbands - $5-$10 a day for a new wristband, 4 days, $20 - $40, Logistical cost is arranging 4 extra stops to get a new band every day, verify ID, return old band, etc.

$5-$10 per wristband is what they have said they'd charge. I very seriously doubt that it's the raw cost of each additional wristband and the rest of the cost is to cover logistics and to provide a barrier that prevents them from having the nightmare of hundreds of people doing it. The reg lines every day would be awful.

Gnomish Mustard wrote:
Tattoos - $2 - $5 upgrade charge. Logistical cost is one trip, the same one where you pick up your badge, that takes 1-5 minutes longer to apply the tattoo. Total upgrade cost is $5, and logistically the convention doesn't have to meet with you for your alternative solution ever again.

Cheaper and logistically easier - viable option.

Make sense?

Nope. You're forgetting that they have to work with a separate supplier (extra wristbands come from the same place as the standard ones), maintain a separate inventory (extra wristbands are stored with the standard ones), provide an ersatz tattoo parlor (which probably has its own equipment needs), train the volunteers on what to do (application would HAVE to be in a standard location and the volunteers would have to apply them just as they're required to put the wristbands on us), and monitor the rooms for different security solutions. All of which are far from "logistically easier."

I think you're over-estimating how many people would use the tattoos. You also don't seem to understand how ordering things online and applying temporary tattoos work. Both are very simple, low-hassle affairs, and like the extra wristbands, they could mark the tattoos up in price to make up for the extra effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have a better solution to offer than any previously submitted:

Each person, upon registering, will receive an electronic device that both GPS tracks their location and has the ability to take a blood sample (similar to what diabetics use) and in doing so test the DNA of the person who is wearing it.

At the interval determined by the staff (I recommend every two hours, just to be safe) each attendee will prick their finger and submit a blood sample to the machine. The machine will both verify their identity (based on the blood sample each attendee submits at registration) and verifies the current location of each.

Staff will have a device with which they can roam around the convention and randomly "scan" the device held by any attendee. This will allow them to verify the true identity of anyone.

The obvious benefits with this system are:
-Better accountability. Nobody can sneak in unless they have a vial of flood from the person who owns the registration.
-No wristbands or tattoos! Attendees can feel free to wear these devices around their necks or just keep them in a pocket.

I haven't yet decided what to do about those who are allergic to blood, but I'll come up with something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I think you're over-estimating how many people would use the tattoos. You also don't seem to understand how ordering things online and applying temporary tattoos work. Both are very simple, low-hassle affairs, and like the extra wristbands, they could mark the tattoos up in price to make up for the extra effort.

Oh, I understand how ordering things online works. I also understand how running a convention works. You don't just have Aldie order box of tattoos and keep them in his pocket: they have to have a place (well, unless you the attendee show up and don't mind waiting for your tattoo to be found with The One Person who has it), and someone has to know what to do with them (no matter how easy it is you always train your volunteers to avoid mistakes such as incorrect placement or application).

I think you don't seem to understand how much extra effort Something Different And Special adds to the operational load of a convention staffed mostly by volunteer effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
I think I have a better solution to offer than any previously submitted:

Each person, upon registering, will receive an electronic device that both GPS tracks their location and has the ability to take a blood sample (similar to what diabetics use) and in doing so test the DNA of the person who is wearing it.

At the interval determined by the staff (I recommend every two hours, just to be safe) each attendee will prick their finger and submit a blood sample to the machine. The machine will both verify their identity (based on the blood sample each attendee submits at registration) and verifies the current location of each.

Staff will have a device with which they can roam around the convention and randomly "scan" the device held by any attendee. This will allow them to verify the true identity of anyone.

The obvious benefits with this system are:
-Better accountability. Nobody can sneak in unless they have a vial of flood from the person who owns the registration.
-No wristbands or tattoos! Attendees can feel free to wear these devices around their necks or just keep them in a pocket.

I haven't yet decided what to do about those who are allergic to blood, but I'll come up with something...

Sounds good, as long as it will also check my blood glucose to make sure my hypoglycemia's not too out of control. It's going to cost the CON a ton of money though... even the cheapest test strips are about $1 each... just sayin' ... real needle and ink tattoos would probably cost LESS.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
texasgeoker wrote:
I got it...

Offset the cost of tattoos with a sponsor like 5-Hour Energy drinks. They could infuse the tattoo with a time-released dose of their drink...making each attendee's first 5-Hour Energy drink of the convention ON THE HOUSE!!!

Not that it has anything to do with wristbands, tatoos, or fecal matter, but last year, the 5 hour energy drinks were free anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

It doesn't beg the question, it raises the question. Ah, the erosion of the English language at work...

Perhaps you own this website instead?

http://begthequestion.info/

I left my previous comment like that because the conversation was getting way too serious about a gaming convention. I will be there, wristband and all, and will be having fun.

The reality is we all have a great time and love going, whatever our differences may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

Fecal matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Oh, I understand how ordering things online works. I also understand how running a convention works. You don't just have Aldie order box of tattoos and keep them in his pocket: they have to have a place (well, unless you the attendee show up and don't mind waiting for your tattoo to be found with The One Person who has it), and someone has to know what to do with them (no matter how easy it is you always train your volunteers to avoid mistakes such as incorrect placement or application).

I think you don't seem to understand how much extra effort Something Different And Special adds to the operational load of a convention staffed mostly by volunteer effort.

Thank You! Everyone who thinks that these solutions are "simple" with no real logistical problems have obviously never organized anything of significant size. The cost is time. Time is a limited resource. Unfortunately the people who insist on stealing other people's time to cater to their own whims have not volunteered their own to run the tattoo parlor. If it is such a cheap, simple thing to do surely they can just front the cost and the short amount of time it will take to put the tattoos on...right? Make an offer the management can't refuse.

Also, on another point that keeps coming up from the vocal few -
Have you considered that people who are not enthralled with the idea of rising costs (not to mention being respectful of the time investment of the volunteers) may be hanging around this thread so that the vocal minority aren't the only voice heard. It is in my best interests to prevent people from doing things which consume more volunteer time, make registration longer, increase costs, etc. So please stop complaining about people who are against your alternatives. We have our reasons just as you do and will continue to express them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jassad1 wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

Thank You! Everyone who thinks that these solutions are "simple" with no real logistical problems have obviously never organized anything of significant size. The cost is time. Time is a limited resource. Unfortunately the people who insist on stealing other people's time to cater to their own whims have not volunteered their own to run the tattoo parlor. If it is such a cheap, simple thing to do surely they can just front the cost and the short amount of time it will take to put the tattoos on...right? Make an offer the management can't refuse.

Have you considered that people who are not enthralled with the idea of rising costs (not to mention being respectful of the time investment of the volunteers) may be hanging around this thread so that the vocal minority aren't the only voice heard. It is in my best interests to prevent people from doing things which consume more volunteer time, make registration longer, increase costs, etc. So please stop complaining about people who are against your alternatives. We have our reasons just as you do and will continue to express them.

And the resource compensation is money, which we've gladly offered to pay if you haven't noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jassad1 wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I've run big events before (25,000 people for a whole weekend... big enough?) I get the logistics and the insane amount of completely uncompensated time it can take to make anything happen. Not to mention the financial outlays and permits and meetings and on and on. I was co-chair. I was on the hook for a lot of money, and thousands upon thousands of volunteer hours.

When it comes to November, I offered to volunteer. I was told "no" unless I'd been to this particular event before. While I can sort of understand that, I also found it frustrating. It's hard to square "stop being so much trouble, that takes volunteer power" with "we don't want {some particular kind of} volunteer." Not even to do an extremely limited, next-to-no-training-required role.

I don't think that ALL of the people here suggesting things have been doing so without awareness of the cost in time AND money. Some have even put forth ways to mitigate the costs. I'm not sure how else we can come to agreement... except to go back to NO EXCEPTIONS unless you can document some medical problem, and/or pay a daily fee to put up with the (for-some-people) miserable option slightly fewer hours a day. I guess if we can't do better, we can't. Bummer.

Happily, I can document a bona fide medical problem. Happily, I'm not interested in being a pain in the ass for the organizers. Sadly, I've offered to be a positive contributor, beyond the required financial contribution, and have been told no. Oh well. I guess next year I will be qualified to be a volunteer.

I had pretty much tried to drop out of this thread but this message rankled me a bit. Please don't paint us all as whiners who don't want to help. It's simply inaccurate, at best, and it doesn't lead to a more positive outcome for anyone. If you want help, I'm sure that all you need to do is ASK.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gnomish Mustard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jassad1 wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I have heard of selective hearing before, but never selective reading. This one was rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
jassad1 wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I've run big events before (25,000 people for a whole weekend... big enough?) I get the logistics and the insane amount of completely uncompensated time it can take to make anything happen. Not to mention the financial outlays and permits and meetings and on and on. I was co-chair. I was on the hook for a lot of money, and thousands upon thousands of volunteer hours.

When it comes to November, I offered to volunteer. I was told "no" unless I'd been to this particular event before. While I can sort of understand that, I also found it frustrating. It's hard to square "stop being so much trouble, that takes volunteer power" with "we don't want {some particular kind of} volunteer." Not even to do an extremely limited, next-to-no-training-required role.

I don't think that ALL of the people here suggesting things have been doing so without awareness of the cost in time AND money. Some have even put forth ways to mitigate the costs. I'm not sure how else we can come to agreement... except to go back to NO EXCEPTIONS unless you can document some medical problem, and/or pay a daily fee to put up with the (for-some-people) miserable option slightly fewer hours a day. I guess if we can't do better, we can't. Bummer.

Happily, I can document a bona fide medical problem. Happily, I'm not interested in being a pain in the ass for the organizers. Sadly, I've offered to be a positive contributor, beyond the required financial contribution, and have been told no. Oh well. I guess next year I will be qualified to be a volunteer.

I had pretty much tried to drop out of this thread but this message rankled me a bit. Please don't paint us all as whiners who don't want to help. It's simply inaccurate, at best, and it doesn't lead to a more positive outcome for anyone. If you want help, I'm sure that all you need to do is ASK.

JAZ

JuliaZ wrote:

Yes that is in fact "big enough". Thanks for your sarcastic response, but I specifically said this:
jassad1 wrote:
Everyone who thinks that these solutions are "simple" with no real logistical problems have obviously never organized anything of significant size.

As I have yet to see you make such statements, I was not addressing you. You have actually been fair and reasonable on nearly all counts. I assume because you have been involved in organizing huge events as I have, you don't make ludicrous claims about the ease of implementation of new bells and whistles.

JuliaZ wrote:

That is unfortunate, I appreciate your effort.

JuliaZ wrote:
I don't think that ALL of the people here suggesting things have been doing so without awareness of the cost in time AND money.

I never used the word "ALL". There are several people who are suggesting things without any concept of the man hours required for implementation. You are not one of them. Hence, I did not include everyone in my statement.

JuliaZ wrote:

Again, I was not painting with the broad strokes you suggest. I was specific. You are misrepresenting me.
I do want to help, and I will. Last year I drove 2.5 hours to help organize the library a few weeks in advance of the con. At that point I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it to BGGcon at all, but wanted to volunteer because I enjoyed attending for my first time the previous year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomish Mustard wrote:
jassad1 wrote:
jsciv wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:

I have heard of selective hearing before, but never selective reading. This one was rich.

Thanks for your substantive response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jassad1 wrote:

I do want to help, and I will. Last year I drove 2.5 hours to help organize the library a few weeks in advance of the con. At that point I knew I wasn't going to be able to make it to BGGcon at all, but wanted to volunteer because I enjoyed attending for my first time the previous year.

Serious thanks. Organizing the library is one of those Sisyphean tasks that most people will never even consider, but it's essential to the operation of the whole event. And that you didn't get to enjoy the results... ugh.

We're on the same page. I hope you'll have time to have a during the event this year... it would be fun to meet you.

And I bet you 5db that I end up volunteering somehow this year. I'm one of those people that people turn to for information and directions... it happens all the time, even when I'm visiting another country. Some Brits asked me for help finding the right bus in Taipei a few years ago... I was on day 6 of my time there and don't speak or read Chinese but managed to help them with the good guidebook I had. After that, probably Texas will not stump me!

As an organizer, I did get tired of the people who made a habit out of saying things like... "You guys really should..." My response was always, "So-and-so is in charge of that team and I'm sure they'd be glad if you helped do the work".
whistle

I think some of the sarcasm you just heard from me comes from dealing with those folks over many events and many years (the two biggest events I organized were in 1995 and 1986, with smaller ones in 1994 and 2003, so it's been a while). I bet you get tired of those you-should folks too, and hope you will accept my apology.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michael
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
jassad1 wrote:

Serious thanks. Organizing the library is one of those Sisyphean tasks that most people will never even consider, but it's essential to the operation of the whole event. And that you didn't get to enjoy the results... ugh.

We're on the same page. I hope you'll have time to have a during the event this year... it would be fun to meet you.

And I bet you 5db that I end up volunteering somehow this year. I'm one of those people that people turn to for information and directions... it happens all the time, even when I'm visiting another country. Some Brits asked me for help finding the right bus in Taipei a few years ago... I was on day 6 of my time there and don't speak or read Chinese but managed to help them with the good guidebook I had. After that, probably Texas will not stump me!

As an organizer, I did get tired of the people who made a habit out of saying things like... "You guys really should..." My response was always, "So-and-so is in charge of that team and I'm sure they'd be glad if you helped do the work".
whistle

I think some of the sarcasm you just heard from me comes from dealing with those folks over many events and many years (the two biggest events I organized were in 1995 and 1986, with smaller ones in 1994 and 2003, so it's been a while). I bet you get tired of those you-should folks too, and hope you will accept my apology.

JAZ

Accepted. And I'll also apologize for getting a little too riled up. You are correct that because of my experience, I am overly sensitive when the people asking for things are not volunteering to make them happen. I'll take a few deep breaths and get over myself now...

I look forward to meeting you and everyone else in Dallas this year. Despite our disagreements about the little things, I can't wait to game with you all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:

Honestly, BGG.CON is so different from anything you've been to before that you really do owe it to yourself to resist the idea of volunteering or organizing. If you feel like you need to organize something, pick a game and ringlead it or herd a group out to dinner, but give yourself a chance to really just enjoy being an attendee for this one. Go to the library and find a game, join in the hunt or a game show, meet other people... No matter what other cons you've done in the past, this one will be a new experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kunsemiller
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Mischievous Hobbes is Mischievous
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
JuliaZ wrote:

Honestly, BGG.CON is so different from anything you've been to before that you really do owe it to yourself to resist the idea of volunteering or organizing. If you feel like you need to organize something, pick a game and ringlead it or herd a group out to dinner, but give yourself a chance to really just enjoy being an attendee for this one. Go to the library and find a game, join in the hunt or a game show, meet other people... No matter what other cons you've done in the past, this one will be a new experience.

This was my thought as well. I got the impression that they were somewhat flooded with applicants to assist with the convention, and an easy first filter is to take out people who haven't been to it before. Not only for familiarity of the volunteers to the various quirks of the cons, but also as a favor to those coming for the first time, who really should just enjoy the heck out of the experience even though they are of the mindset that enjoys helping.

Also, in every con I've been to in the past, when I've gotten there early and offered to help they have gladly accepted that help. Once the con has started though, it has always been very smoothly organized and there didn't seem to be much need for help, due to the excellent job of the planning and staff on hand. The open gaming basically takes care of itself (and that's what library volunteers help with as well) and all the other events have dedicated people that organize and manage them, it's part of what makes BGGcon so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Washington
District of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
jassad1 wrote:

whistle

JAZ

Julia,

The past few years I have arrived a day early to get some early gaming in, and there have always been people (Derk, usually) coming around asking for help in stuffing bags, and doing all sorts of things. I have no doubt you will be able to help out if you like if you are around at those times.

I believe the policy of not allowing first-time attendees to "formally" volunteer is not born of malice or of the feeling that they aren't experienced enough, but rather out of the feeling that people attending for their first time should get in all the gaming they can and get as much of the convention experience they can, and furthermore not feel like there is pressure to volunteer, which I've seen at some conventions.

Your posts on this thread, to me, have been quite helpful and interesting in gaining other perspectives. But then again I have nothing to do with administration of the convention

Cheers! Hope to get a game in with you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been told in the past that a good way to help is to learn one or more of the hot games early on and then be around to help teach that game when the first group of teachers is no longer around.

No preregistration required for that.

=========

I remain unconvinced that a significant problem is really being solved (sharing badges), but then I don't run the convention. I can live with the wrist band even though I don't care for it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So much drama at da B G G!!

Maybe if we get these, we can all just get along

or maybe some Buddy Bands!

Not to mention, help a teenager get an A in his business class

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.