Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this has been asked before. There is an encounter from Kingsport for the Graveyard.

The tombs of the dead keep silent...[bunch of flavor text]

"Draw one monster trophy at random from the cup"

There is no mention about Endless ability like the other graveyard encounter has.

2 Questions: If you draw an Endless monster, can you keep it? If you draw a monster with a trophy effect, such as a Mi-Go do you keep the trophy or take the effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm totally guessing here, but figure that theme and intent can be invoked to determine the logic.

Quote:
If you draw an Endless monster, can you keep it?

You aren't actually encountering a monster, more like you are digging one up. I'd say you can keep it.

Quote:
If you draw a monster with a trophy effect, such as a Mi-Go do you keep the trophy or take the effect?

That one is tougher, but I'd go with what fits with the first question. That is, you keep the trophy.

I'm not familiar enough with all the game elements to say if this would conflict with another situation though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Endless" reads "...each time it is defeated, return it to the cup." Defeat triggers the ability, so does not apply here.

Similarly, Mi-go, Warlock and Barnabas Marsh all read "If you pass a combat check against..." so again, these effects do not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
"Endless" reads "...each time it is defeated, return it to the cup." Defeat triggers the ability, so does not apply here.

Similarly, Mi-go, Warlock and Barnabas Marsh all read "If you pass a combat check against..." so again, these effects do not apply.

I like your logic. I will go with that interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to agree, but ColtsFan convinced me that the ability extends to gaining them as trophies in any way. I forgot how he convinced me though, so I'm inclined to support you Radulla.

Corollary: giving William Yorick his starting trophies would be annoying if one or more of them were Endless. But, since Mask monsters are endless, maybe that's the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I used to agree, but ColtsFan convinced me that the ability extends to gaining them as trophies in any way. I forgot how he convinced me though, so I'm inclined to support you Radulla.

Corollary: giving William Yorick his starting trophies would be annoying if one or more of them were Endless. But, since Mask monsters are endless, maybe that's the intent.

Really? I don't recall one way or the other!

My feeling today is you keep them as trophies without gaining the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, William Yorrick with a Mask trophy is something I never considered. Could he then also "Bury them Deep"?

I don't see anything that would prevent it. Now Spawn Monsters William would have no chance to get at, but Masks are in the cup. I guess they have to chance the hazards of being a cup monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
ColtsFan convinced me that the ability extends to gaining them as trophies in any way. I forgot how he convinced me though,

I think I remember this... didn't it have to do with an encounter at the Historical Society that gives a trophy, "even if it has the Endless ability"? So the interpretation hinged on whether the stipulation was redundant, or whether all similar effects lacking that stipulation, lacked power over the Endless.

It's sort of analogous to the ambivalence over sealing a gate closed by an Other World Encounter; is the line stipulating that "you may seal the gate" an indicator that otherwise, you could not.. or a helpful reminder?

Here's my problem with inferring restrictions from listings of permissions: A player must be familiar with the specific encounters to even have a chance of making the correct ruling. Drawing an encounter which says "you close the gate", a player would find nothing in the rules to prohibit them from sealing. The fact that another encounter also lists the ability to seal would be unknown to that player. The game is arcane enough without that requirement.

Unless of course someone convinces me of the exact opposite, which has certainly happened before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.