Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all...I searched the FAQ but I am still a bit confused. Please let me know if I am off-base...

1) In a consume phase, if somebody doesn't have a consume power, they consume nothing.

2) If somebody has two "blue" consume powers, but only one blue good...do the consume powers stack for that one good, or does the player just pick one of the powers to use?

3) If somebody has two blue goods, but only one blue consume power, do they only get to consume one good?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
brendanb wrote:
Hi, all...I searched the FAQ but I am still a bit confused. Please let me know if I am off-base...

1) In a consume phase, if somebody doesn't have a consume power, they consume nothing.

Correct.

Quote:
2) If somebody has two "blue" consume powers, but only one blue good...do the consume powers stack for that one good, or does the player just pick one of the powers to use?

The player must choose which one consume power to use to consume the good.

Quote:
3) If somebody has two blue goods, but only one blue consume power, do they only get to consume one good?

Thanks.

Yes. Keep in mind some worlds or developments offer the ability to consume multiple goods. There may be a "x2" or "x3" identifier, for example Free Trade Association.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
brendanb wrote:

Thanks.

1) yes
2) the player picks the one to use
3) correct

General idea is: consume as many goods as you can, using your consume powers in any order you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brendan b
United States
chicago
Select State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
brendanb wrote:

Thanks.

1) yes
2) the player picks the one to use
3) correct

General idea is: consume as many goods as you can, using your consume powers in any order you want.

To further clarify: you don't need to choose the consume powers in the order that will consume the most goods, or give the most points, or anything else. You freely choose the order to execute your consume powers to achieve the result you want. For example, if you have 1 Blue, 1 Brown, and 1 Green good, as well as the ability to consume 1 Blue good for 1 point and the ability to consume 3 different kinds of goods for 3 points, you can choose to consume the 1 Blue good with the Blue consume power, leaving you unable to consume the Brown and Green goods. Each power can only be used its indicated number of times during a particular consume phase and only the chosen power applies to the particular good being consumed.

That's a lot of words to say what ScoobyG said much more succinctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what makes consumption somewhat challenging to grasp at first is the concept that you are executing consume powers, not primarily consuming goods. In other words, the main issue isn't "I have X number of goods to consume, what do I do if I have an excess of consume powers or no consume powers?", the issue is, "I have X number of consume powers, ALL of which I must execute to the full extent of the rules".

Of course, the "full extent of the rules" may mean choosing a different order to intentionally leave a good(s) on the table, or choosing not to execute some powers, such as the ones that consume cards or prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:

General idea is: consume as many goods as you can, using your consume powers in any order you want

...but when you invoke mulitiple goods power, it must be fully used if it is only possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy44 wrote:
...but when you invoke mulitiple goods power, it must be fully used if it is only possible.

Is this to say that if you have a consume power to consume 3 different colored goods, but you only have 2 different colored goods, then you are not allowed to consume goods at all using this particular power?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dredry Toenail wrote:
Andy44 wrote:

Is this to say that if you have a consume power to consume 3 different colored goods, but you only have 2 different colored goods, then you are not allowed to consume goods at all using this particular power?

That's correct....

says you must consume EXACTLY 3 different types of goods (does NOT say "up to..."), so just 2 different types of goods isn't sufficient.

OTOH

... says consume 1 good and repeat 2 more times if you can (well, I'm paraphrasing there, but you get the idea)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cornell
United States
Corunna
Michigan
flag msg tools
Have A Logical Day
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Delano
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
OTOH

... says consume 1 good and repeat 2 more times if you can (well, I'm paraphrasing there, but you get the idea)

Note that this is not considered three separate invocations of a consume power. Rather, it's a single invocation of a power that consumes up to three goods. This is important because although you can use your consume powers in any order you have to complete that power before moving on to the next one. So you couldn't use this power to consume one good, then consume another good on a different power then return to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Petrovic
United States
Louisville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the info on the thread guys. I am learning the game, and this just made sense of the consume phase for me.

I could not understand why I had to consume certain goods, but could not consume all the goods I had...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.