• [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
Grmpf, can't sleep

This is quite unusual. Don't good cats sleep around 23 hrs a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Elsmere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
charlieturtle wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Grmpf, can't sleep

This is quite unusual. Don't good cats sleep around 23 hrs a day.

Isn't that 16 hours actually???

Besides, who said I am good? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played some great games tonight! Summoner Wars, Jaipur, Rattus, Smallworld and Roll Through the Ages!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Ferrill
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
I played some great games tonight! Summoner Wars, Jaipur, Rattus, Smallworld and Roll Through the Ages!

sounds like a good time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmaggie wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:

Yeah but now I want to buy them āłł!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Ferrill
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
madmaggie wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:

haha that always happens!

Alright everyone, I'm gone for the night. Have a good one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmaggie wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:
madmaggie wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:

haha that always happens!

Alright everyone, I'm gone for the night. Have a good one!
Yeah me too, göōd ńīght!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of buying games...

I bought a copy of Antiquity, Siena, Hans Teutonica and the Eastern Expansion map. Oh, my aching wallet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadBrad wrote:
Speaking of buying games...

I bought a copy of Antiquity, Siena, Hans Teutonica and the Eastern Expansion map. Oh, my aching wallet!

Well with more than 1k games, your wallet should already be empty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Moin Moin!

Today's gaming night again, yesterday I slept most of the time to recuperate and relax, which was badly needed after the stressful week. But now I'm in for some games and lots of fun! Yay!

Have a hoopy weekend!

Sarge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Engoduun wrote:
Moin Moin!

Today's gaming night again, yesterday I slept most of the time to recuperate and relax, which was badly needed after the stressful week. But now I'm in for some games and lots of fun! Yay!

Have a hoopy weekend!

Sarge

Have a great time Sarge, sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning al, hope everyone is feeling hoopy.

Got to get down to some studying today while I have a quite house.

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it has been a quiet night on the thread, not too many posts to catch up on. shake

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moin moin!

Gaming day today! Waiting for a friend to come over and have a good play! Yay!

Have a hoopy weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jfro wrote:
blaecblaed wrote:
jfro wrote:
blaecblaed wrote:
MadBrad wrote:
Yeah, I am here. I am one of those people who does not say a lot, until a comment or mood strikes me.

Perhaps we are brothers from a different mother? (and father...)

If you'll excuse embarrassingly poor grammar, the latter rhymes in the Latin: Frater cum aliter pater

As in, "Quid accidit, frater cum aliter pater?"

Where did you learn your Latin ? just curious

Self-taught. Had some long holidays a few years ago, bought some primers and grammars from second hand book stores, good old text books that hadn't changed in the past 100 years before they were printed, which was decades ago. I didn't learn much and what I did learn I learned poorly. Those few words took me about fifteen minutes of struggle. My Latin's so bad I couldn't even tell you how mistakes are in the above. I just really wanted them to rhyme.

I've just fired them through google translate which mangles them, so, while it's pretty obvious what I was going for, it's intended to be:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What is happening, brother with a different father?

I'll just hide for a few days while any classically educated FTLers correct my errors.

I was not going to be correcting grammar at all. Just thought there may be another who lived the life I used to live.

Learned Latin at school and uni, but it is always the less you use it, the more you forget it soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
MadBrad wrote:
blaecblaed wrote:
MadBrad wrote:
madmaggie wrote:
jfro wrote:
madmaggie wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
madmaggie wrote:
I find it interesting when sometimes there is a thumb from someone who isn't posting anything on the forum... Lurker!! ninja

Guilty.
Haha me too, I was thumbing the old thread and like everyone had 31 thumbs but oh one with 32 thumbs! what happend!!! A random thumb haha

haha, it's funny because I wasn't referring to either one of you. The thumbing lurker hasn't posted anything (and I don't know if I've ever seen them post anything on here, but I am still fairly new).

Who?

Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't seen him in here before, but I saw the name and thought he might be a relative or something... long lost brother? Brad, you in here still?

Edit: I have seen him in here, lots actually. The Avatar helps...

Yeah, I am here. I am one of those people who does not say a lot, until a comment or mood strikes me.

Perhaps we are brothers from a different mother? (and father...)

If you'll excuse embarrassingly poor grammar, the latter rhymes in the Latin: Frater cum aliter pater

As in, "Quid accidit, frater cum aliter pater?"

Interesting that they rhyme, as brother and father are both Germanic in origin. However, brother does almost rhyme with frater, and father almost rhymes with patre.

( mode = "major linguistic digression while I'm waiting for my vegetables to osmotically release their water before I put anything other than myself into a pickle for the first time in my life" )

Come with us now on a journey through time and space -- to the world of the Mighty Boosh.

(The Mighty Boo-ooosh!)

Back in the mists of history we see that German and Latin are both from the Indo-European group of languages, the oldest living exponent of which is Sanskrit. Admittedly, only a few people speak regularly it but it's still used.

Many of the core words of languages remain somewhat static over time, simply because they are so important they don't change. It would get really confusing really fast if they changed rapidly. Family connections are important to society so the words to describe them change quite slowly.

In Sanskrit we have mata which is cognate with (has a common origin with) the Latin mater and the English mother. Bhrātār, frater and brother display a less obvious connection until you look at the Greek intermediary phrater which was adopted into the Latin on its westward drift. Brother apparently bypassed this initial sound change and came into the Germanic family more directly. Similarly we have pita, pater, and, again less obviously, father.

In about the only linguistic law I can state, Grimm's Law (named after one of the famous brothers; it isn't a law that dictates how words are to be spoken and change but is only an observation of what has happened historically) observes that "p" changes into "f". In English the medial (in the middle of a word) "t" sound has often become "th". It has not changed so much in some other Germanic languages being sometimes "t" or "d" like Modern German Vater and Bruder. Svasar, soror, sister rounds out the set.

(Grimm's Law is more expansive than I have noted but that's for anyone interested to look up.)

Son and daughter in English and Sanskrit don't bear any relation with the Latin: filius and filia. Whereas the Germanic languages use quite separate words for them, the Romance languages use the feminine form of a masculine word for daughter. I wonder what that says about the cultures. Considering that many Roman girls only got the feminine form of their fathers' names it doesn't seem to have been all that user friendly to have been a woman there and then.

( / mode )

Brother linguist?

As for Modern German, some changes (not these ones though) are accounted for by the Second Consonant Shift.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
Aenea wrote:
blaecblaed wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Three posts in an hour???????

We are slacking!

Didn't you go to sleep a few hours ago? Maybe that's why the post rate slumped. Now you just have to learn how to post in your sleep.

But not while you're bicycling. Those kitty-kats don't need their caretaker having a high speed bicycle accident. Imagine the carnage from riding into a canal at a whole 10 km / h.

(Yes, as far as I know the Netherlands are all dikes, windmills and canals--and nude people sunbathing on rooftops.)

Hmmmm, should you not be sheering a sheep at the moment?

I can't do that. I have no opposable thumbs. I am a sheep!

New Zealand: The country of 24 million sheep--four million of whom think they're human.

(There is a NSFW response involving a homophone of "shearing" but I wouldn't want to give myself a reputation and I think there are ladies present.)

Goodnight Alysa. Remember to pull the plug out of your country so it doesn't flood if someone leaves the bath taps running.

laughlaughlaugh Good ole' stereotypes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobbit DM
Ukraine
Chernivtsi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for flooding Must get back to academic stuff now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi boys and girls.

Going to USA in late july, I will stay four days in each of these cities: New York, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Francisco so if any of you want to recomend me a nice game store in any of thee cities i would apreciate it.

Thanks and happy weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meshell Heelbeck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming with my best friend soon! I looking forward to this so much! I haven't gamed in around 5/6 weeks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
Corps_of_Oa wrote:
Gaming with my best friend soon! I looking forward to this so much! I haven't gamed in around 5/6 weeks

I know that feeling! Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Elsmere
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I may, I wish I might

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  247 , 248 , 249 , 250 , 251  Next »  [1000] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.