12 Posts

Quarriors!» Forums » Variants

Subject: A more strategic and dice-building variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominic InyokaMadoda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting at my computer and thinking about a variant for Quarriors! and was thinking about a comment that someone made in a review about the game 'playing you' ("In Russia, games play you!") and there not being many meaningful choices to make. How about the following small change to the rules that could have massive strategic influence.

You can choose which dice you play with each turn.

No more random gatherings of dice when you have 5 creatures and nowhere near enough quiddity to summon them. No more hands with just quiddity when you desperately need to summon a creature to thwart your opponents.

The way I see it, all other rules would be in effect so that dice go the used pile and so on as per normal. This way, you would have to plan for future turns by which dice you had left in your selection pile. You would still have to use all dice before you could return the used pile to your selection pile etc.

Just a thought....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like this, but I also like the idea of the dice bag. And I'm seeing a bit of a boring start to the game when everyone does the same exact thing (1st turn 6 quiddity, 2nd turn everything else). Perhaps a hybrid?

Every time you refill your dice bag, you may add up to two dice to a special "reserve pile" from your used pile. When drawing dice from your bag you may choose to instead replace X dice that would normally be drawn from the bag with X dice form your reserve pile.

It lets your customize your draws, but doesn't completely negate the randomness that the bag presents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic InyokaMadoda
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not a bad suggestion. Or a bad reason behind it. I might just have to give it a go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good!
Just finished a 2 player game using a kind of "open dice bag" area:

1- Every time which you need draw a die from your empty "open dice bag", put all your used pile in dice bag and shuffle it;
2- Keep drawing dices at random to fill rows in your "open dice bag" area, six dice per row, until your dice bag is empty;
3- When you need draw a die from your dice bag, you must choose one from the first or second rows of your "open dice bag" area.

More oportunity to choice. I liked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B
United States
Akron
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever idea. I've also been wanting to try the variant where you roll six dice and if the result isn't what you need/want, you can discard one of those six dice and reroll all the other 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Just what is it that you want to do? We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. That's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that this idea has a lot of merit but owuld be concerned that dice like the Portal which allow you to draw more dice would then become really really powerful...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Knop
Brazil
Juiz de Fora
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
No disassemble! Vídeos de Partidas Completas Passo a Passo
mbmbmbmbmb
We did not have seen problems with extra dice and portals during play. With "open bag" we felt more in control and with a lot more options to choose. The randomness is kept in dice rolls and in the row filling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Just what is it that you want to do? We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. That's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party!
mbmbmbmbmb
igorknop wrote:
We did not have seen problems with extra dice and portals during play. With "open bag" we felt more in control and with a lot more options to choose. The randomness is kept in dice rolls and in the row filling.

This would make the game much more strategic as long as it stay balanced. I am going to have to try this. A very good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan garcia
Spain
flag msg tools
neufpas wrote:
I like this, but I also like the idea of the dice bag. And I'm seeing a bit of a boring start to the game when everyone does the same exact thing (1st turn 6 quiddity, 2nd turn everything else). Perhaps a hybrid?

Every time you refill your dice bag, you may add up to two dice to a special "reserve pile" from your used pile. When drawing dice from your bag you may choose to instead replace X dice that would normally be drawn from the bag with X dice form your reserve pile.

It lets your customize your draws, but doesn't completely negate the randomness that the bag presents.

Seems interesting variant..
Can you explain a little more?

Do you choose to use a reserved dice before taking out 6 dices from the bag?
Then for example you take out 5 dices from the bag + 1 reserved dice... Then Emptying the reserve....

or

Do you take out six dices from the bag, and you after seeing them you can decide to exchange a dice with one from the reserved pile?

Good experience with this variant??What brings to the game?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually why even bother with Used Pile? Why not leave the bag and Used Pile behind and manually select 6 dice you want to roll each turn? Imagine, now each turn you create a dice pool, a perfect balance of resources, creatures and spells.

Do you see any possible cons of this variant?

Why not go even further.
Why discard the creatures at the end of your turn? Why not leave them on the table for future turns? Why not make a dice version of Magic The Gathering, where you need to damage a player, and where creatures are only his minions?

PS. I wish to have quarriors to actually know what I'm talking about lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Holbrook
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
... Why not go even further.

Why discard the creatures at the end of your turn? Why not leave them on the table for future turns? Why not make a dice version of Magic The Gathering, where you need to damage a player, and where creatures are only his minions? ...

There is something there. Would take time to write up, balance, and test. I think you would probably want to create all new sets of cards to deal with the mechanisms that would need to be added, changed, or deleted. Active creatures would need some sort of upkeep cost, to help prevent the inevitable stalemate you would see with the defense heavy creatures present in the game. I think it could be done, but not sure if it would be worth the time and effort; could just end up being another dragon dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke the Great
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upkeep? Naah, no need.

How about something like this:
- no culling, no scoring, no used area as defined by the official rules
- each player starts with 4 quidity dice and 2 assistant dice (max number of players has just jumped to 8!)
- each turn player manually selects 6 dice from your dice pool and roll them, then spend quidity, then attack
- your creatures stays in active area untill killed (if killed they are sent into the wild)
- once per turn you can attack any player with any number of your creatures (attack values are cumulative)
- attacked player must defend with his creatures if able (untill all defenders are dead)
- if you killed a creature you gain its glory points (it's like victory points - dead dragon is worth more than dead assistant)
- if defending player has no creatures, you gain as many glory as total glory value of attackers
- (optional idea) all players roll their dice simultaneously, then all players go shopping in normal sequence, then all players can attack, again in normal sequence. This should speed up the game.

I have not yet decided if defending creatures deal damage to the attackers or not, but I think that would be great idea. I will test it as soon as I buy this game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.