Subject: Relic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a picture going around in WH sites of a box of a new FFG game called relic, which is supposed to be a WH40K version of Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Wow. Its been forever since a 40K boardgame has been around (not counting Space Hulk).

Speaking of...what was the last 40k boardgame made? Doom of the Eldar? Not sure if necromunda counts as that is a miniature skirmish game.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Horus Heresy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
United States
Florence
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing about the pictures makes sense.

There's been not a peep about this game from FF yet. But somehow this person has a shrinkwrapped copy of the game in hand?

I suppose it's possible but incredibly unlikely for FF to drop a brand new game with no warning/promotion whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crackbone wrote:

There's been not a peep about this game from FF yet. But somehow this person has a shrinkwrapped copy of the game in hand?

I suppose it's possible but incredibly unlikely for FF to drop a brand new game with no warning/promotion whatsoever.

It might be just an empty box, like they had for Rex and Wiz-War at GenCon last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
crackbone wrote:

It might be just an empty box, like they had for Rex and Wiz-War at GenCon last year.

Possible. If it's real, I wonder if the artwork is final. There's something weird going on with the border that extends across the top, but only partially and unevenly down the sides, with nothing at the bottom. Seems sloppy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't look like a box to me. It looks like a flat piece. It looks like the hands supporting it are right behind the surface not several inches away.

From that, I would say it is an art test. There is no way to know whether it is an FFG art test or just something someone did for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, it's Timescape all over again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
It doesn't look like a box to me. It looks like a flat piece. It looks like the hands supporting it are right behind the surface not several inches away.

From that, I would say it is an art test. There is no way to know whether it is an FFG art test or just something someone did for fun.

Good eye, you're absolutely right. It's flat, and it's pretty obvious from the situation of the hand in the bottom-right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
Hey, it's Timescape all over again!

which is the only 2nd ed Talisman expansion I was happy to get rid of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Carter
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
wadenels wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

Good eye, you're absolutely right. It's flat, and it's pretty obvious from the situation of the hand in the bottom-right.

No, he's not absolutely right. Not a "good eye" at all. It's certainly not flat. It is a box, wrapped in shrink-wrap.

wadenels wrote:
There's something weird going on with the border that extends across the top, but only partially and unevenly down the sides, with nothing at the bottom. Seems sloppy.

There's nothing "weird" about the border. At the top it simply runs underneath the WARHAMMER 40000 logo, and at the bottom it runs behind pieces of the artwork in the corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mbmbmb
That looks nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Holroyd
England
Morecambe
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if someones just got hold of an early April fools joke picture?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, do I need to offload my talisman game boxes now? 40K Talisman sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermocrates wrote:
wadenels wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

No, he's not absolutely right. Not a "good eye" at all. It's certainly not flat. It is a box, wrapped in shrink-wrap.

Shrink-wrap does not = box.

It sure looks flat piece of artwork on thick cardboard wrapped in shrink wrap resting on the the guy's thumb:

Look at how close his thumb is to the top of the artwork. Look at the angle of his fingers going UP towards the artwork not flat like it is a box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like his thumb is pressed into the corner of the box to me while the perspective of the camera makes it appear flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And that isn't the important thumb, look at the left hand thumb. What is that thumb doing if it isn't sitting on the side of a box? If that was flat his thumb would be on the edge not pointed up and pressing in underneath it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:
And that isn't the important thumb, look at the left hand thumb. What is that thumb doing if it isn't sitting on the side of a box? If that was flat his thumb would be on the edge not pointed up and pressing in underneath it.

If there were a side of the box, his thumb is poking a hole in it and it is jammed all the way in up to the base of his thumb nail. If the box were held at such an angle for it to only appear that way, you would have to be able to see the opposite side of the box in the picture. Try it. Pick up a box and hold it out with your thumb at the side and then angle it so you can't see anything of your left thumb but the base of the thumbnail. Unless you are holding it closer to your face than a camera could take a picture and also get in all the surrounding stuff as in that picture, you can see the other side of the box when held at that angle.

People hold the sides of a box with the pad of their thumb, not the tip. He is supporting most of it with his fingers (which also appear to be directly beneath the cardboard) and balance it on the edge of his thumb so as not to cover any of the artwork.

The odds of a picture being taken so straight on that you cannot see even the hint of a side anywhere *AND AT THE SAME TIME* at an angle that makes it appear the left thumb is under the cover is pretty far-fetched. The two are mutually exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: how about someone try and replicate the image with an existing box of similar proportions (e.g., Talisman 4th edition box) keeping in mind the placement and orientation of both thumbs and the lack of box sides in the image due to perspective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Carter
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
It's definitely a box.

If it was flat, his left thumb would be overlapping the top, as one normally holds a flat object. If he didn't want his thumb to overlap the surface, he would be holding it with his palm face upward, not balancing it on top of his thumb-nail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hermocrates wrote:
It's definitely a box.

If it was flat, his left thumb would be overlapping the top, as one normally holds a flat object. If he didn't want his thumb to overlap the surface, he would be holding it with his palm face upward, not balancing it on top of his thumb-nail.

Unless he was deliberately holding it this way to make it seem like it was a box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Butlerian Atreides
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hands off!
badge
Are you eyeballing me?
mbmbmb
Oh no it's a conspiracy theory, maybe it came from Rosswell.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Scale diagram
30 cm wide box
5 cm deep
2 cm diameter circles
60 cm camera to box
5 cm diameter lens

Perspective and lens size necessitate that the parts of those circles closest to the box are obscured but not because it is flat and the circles are underneath it. With a smaller lens and a smaller object distance even more can be hidden as those bounding rays are forced further away from the vertical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Carter
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Precisely. Now *that* is what you call a "good eye" at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Marstiller
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention the fact that it's not much harder to mock up a box than it is to mock up a thick piece of cardboard. If they were trying to trick us I'm sure they could've found someone with the expertise to throw the image on a box top.

DUDE WITH CAMERA - Here, hold it like this.

DUDE HOLDING CARDBOARD THING - No, that'll make it look flat.

DUDE WITH CAMERA - Well then put your hand down here and come up from below so it looks like a box.

DUDE HOLDING CARDBOARD THING - Maybe but what about my thumb, won't it look weird?

DUDE WITH CAMERA - Not if we get a straight on shot and throw in some flash.

DUDE WITH NO PATIENCE AND A HINT OF BRAINS - Oh for crying out loud, in the time you two have been conspiring to make it look like a box I made a box. Here. Now shoot it and shut the hell up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool but I'm confused why this is posted here at VGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.