Empire Builder» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variants for Younger Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charley Sumner
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm contemplating introducing my daughter to Empire Builder, but she's still pretty young (8yo) and can suffer from analysis paralysis. Does anyone hove suggestions of ways to adjust the game so that she'd find it more fun?

Giving her more starting money and a better starting train are easy options, but what I'm really looking for would be ideas on how to simplify the decision making process for her.

BTW, I have no problem with making the rules easier for her but still hard for the grownups (as a handicap) while she learns the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems one easy solution would just be to remove the variable building costs for different track terrains, as well as the limit on how far you can build on one turn. Just make every connection $1 and limit her to cash on hand. Realistically, there's not much reason for the $20-per-turn limit [cash-on-hand is a far more limiting factor, since your train moves slow enough you can just build up your track each turn as you go], and making the math easier for now would be a reasonable handicap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster. Making all mile post cost the same should be all you have to do really. She'll pick it up quicker than you think I bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also allow her to build track before she moves, as the first thing on her turn. This would require a lot less of the look-ahead the current order requires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Thoughts, mostly not ever played:
- Ignore limitations for her as to how many people can build into a Small/Large city.
- Ignore the "Only two builds out of a major city" rule
- Remove most of the event cards (maybe just pull the derailment and flood cards.. the others like Snow and Hurricane may actually add some fun flavor)
- If you have it.. use the United States only (with a little Canada) board that does not contain Mexico (originally, North America Rails was available.. it turned into Empire Builder later)
- Always help her find the target cities and resource cities for the cards she gets... working together on that can be a sub-game all by itself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I'll second the "all terrain $1" and event card removal ideas. Another idea: to help her learn/find cities, with the EB Pronto map editor you can print a set of contracts each containing a small map that plots that contract's demand city locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Another idea for introducing the game: eliminate track building such that all players can move from any milepost to any adjacent milepost. Yes, it greatly simplifies things, but of course that's the idea, plus allows a beginner to concentrate on contracts and how to combine them efficiently, a key EB-series skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.