$10.00
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a solo game with Rhan as the AO. With the terror level at ten and the doom track one short of awakening Rhan, the Mythos card drawn was a Mystic Environment.

I usually roll first so that I don't forget and rolled a six. Then I realized I hadn't resolved the Mythos card, the gate opening resulting in a monster surge. The third monster drawn was the fifth cultist.

With the terror level at ten, a doom token would be added, another doom token being added as a result of the second part of Rhan's special ability, raise the terror level and add a doom token.

So which of the three doomers came first?

BTW, Rhan, I get it. You're awake. I hear you roar. Sheesh.

He's another of my nemeses. 3-28-4. Since all of the draws came in the first ten games, I've got to believe I was forgetting to add the stamina tokens during his attack phase; but, I'm not going back over my write-ups.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Played a solo game with Rhan as the AO. With the terror level at ten and the doom track one short of awakening Rhan, the Mythos card drawn was a Mystic Environment.

I usually roll first so that I don't forget and rolled a six. Then I realized I hadn't resolved the Mythos card, the gate opening resulting in a monster surge. The third monster drawn was the fifth cultist.

With the terror level at ten, a doom token would be added, another doom token being added as a result of the second part of Rhan's special ability, raise the terror level and add a doom token.

So which of the three doomers came first?

BTW, Rhan, I get it. You're awake. I hear you roar. Sheesh.

He's another of my nemeses. 3-28-4. Since all of the draws came in the first ten games, I've got to believe I was forgetting to add the stamina tokens during his attack phase; but, I'm not going back over my write-ups.

Brian
Let me get this straight: are you saying that you roll Rhan-Tegoth's attack every turn, or that you had gone to Final Battle prematurely? I can't understand the comment about "I usually roll the dice first", it implies you do it each turn. I hope not, for it might explain why Rhan-Tegoth is your nemesis rather than the mild-mannered fish boy he is in reality (or is it fish girl? whatever!)

Sequence of events is (IMO):
1) resolve Mythos
1.1) Monster Surge,
1.2) Cultist #5,
1.3) Doom Token #11,
1.4) Rhan-Tegoth awakens,
2) Final Battle starts
2.1) 10 Doomers added to his tally,
2.2) Investigators attack Rhan-Tegoth in the vain belief it makes a difference
2.3) Rhan-Tegoth attack: let the slaugher commence
2.4) Universe destroyed.
3) completely academic, who cares? the Universe just died!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Whenever a Mystic card is drawn" is pretty vague. I can understand the confusion. Currently, the way I play a card that says, "when [X Mythos card] is drawn," I trigger it immediately, and only if the card is drawn for the purposes of being resolved. In other words, drawing a Mythos card because you need a location to spawn a Child of Abhoth doesn't work.

Also, I hate Rhan. He's easily my least favorite AO because he's the least fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought everyone's least favorite was Atlach-Nacha. I had to totally revise his in order to make him playable.

You've reworked a couple of AOs and even made a new one. If you're interested in giving it a shot, here's my take.

1. Six seals

2. Gate Bursts remove token, but do not negate the fact it was sealed and add doom token, unless as a result of red gate location on Mythos card.

(This is a little unwieldy; but, playing solo, I can handle it). With the Mythos gate burst on red, play it by rule, gate doesn't count as sealed, no doomer. This might be a little too confusing for group play, though.

3. Eight total seals/closures (see item one).

4. Six seals must be accomplished first, before the closed gates count against the total of eight.

5. Four gate tokens must be in the possession of the investigators at game's end.

Five prevents spending all the gates for clue tokens.

I play four investigators, so this works out quite well and makes for some close games.

My first four games, I played as per original rules and didn't burst the gates. 4-0. The next four, I played as per Atlach's sheet. 0-4. Not even close. I played quite a few with the 6-8-4 rule, counting bursts as having been sealed, without adding a doomer and was about .500.

I think adding the doomer balances it out a little more.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.