Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
138 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

Risk Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Daviau and Hasbro are busy, so Riskzilla?? Riskbuntu?? Crowd-sourcing more packets and game rules!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Meyer
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some Legacy fan customization ideas:

When putting together your fan set, attach the expansion packs with these:

http://www.zazzle.com/radiation_sticker-217823372669608444
20 Radiation stickers at 1.5" diameter.

And is it just me or if you trimmed these, would they make pretty awesome scars?

http://www.zazzle.com/atom_bomb_nuclear_weapon_nuke_sticker-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
harrowed777 wrote:
Some Legacy fan customization ideas:

When putting together your fan set, attach the expansion packs with these:

http://www.zazzle.com/radiation_sticker-217823372669608444
20 Radiation stickers at 1.5" diameter.

And is it just me or if you trimmed these, would they make pretty awesome scars?

http://www.zazzle.com/atom_bomb_nuclear_weapon_nuke_sticker-...

Thanks for this. Very cool site. And yes that is a cool new scar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah those are cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
harrowed777 wrote:
HAving participated and headed fan projects in the past, it is most important at the onset to decide the scope of the project.

For instance if the point of it is to create new content for Risk Legacy, I'm on board. If you are doing anything beyond that, count me out.(My offer to help host and organize people would stand, but I would have nothing to do with the actual process.)

I know me and a couiple of my players are interested because of how DIFFERENT this is from standard Risk. or Cheeseball versions like "Lord of the Rings Risk"

Standard risk was it's own critter. Risk 2210 was pretty awesome. but I'm not interested in those like I am in Legacy.

So first decide the scope, then find participants. once you have an idea how many people want to work on it and in what capacity, you can decide how much can be done.

I'm of the same vein of opinion. I would love participate in this venture if the group was focused on specifically Legacy expansions, but the scope has to be clearly defined. Ideally there would be multiple mini-expansions designed for separate use.

The basic separation of the variants are 'start' and 'unlocked'. Something like Antarctica would probably be best as a start, since that would adjust the map directly, adding a continent and sea-lanes from the onset of the game. A Moon map would likely be best as an unlock, with scar cards allowing you to create lanes between territories on earth and the moon.

Just starting with these two ideas leads to people suggesting new armies, scars, cities, variants for more than 5 players, a few suggestions for interaction with other hidden packs, new unit types, etc. And then things get out of control with one graphic designer hurt his art isn't being used for the Space Hamsters, another player insisting meeples are needed, a third complaining how his special power is worded wrong, and so on. And things slow down, people stop working, and this idea fails.

So the best way to do this is to very specifically delineate who is working on which tasks and make sure everything gets play-tested continuously. But most importantly that the person/people in charge are listened to. I wouldn't like anything to be leaked to the community as a whole before it is done. Anyone who does work on this would really need to work under a code of silence because, honestly, I am most excited about the reactions of the larger community, both good and bad.

The list of personnel needed:
- Graphic designers for artwork
- People with a background in mathematics to crunch all numbers to check for the wildly unbalanced
- People with a background in text design, creating and formatting pdf's and other documents
- Play-testers

Word of mouth is the main way people are going to be attracted to this project, but some people on these threads might be inclined to help out, and some I'd love to have on board.

Anyway, yeah, my 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarColonel wrote:

- People with a background in mathematics to crunch all numbers to check for the wildly unbalanced
- People with a background in text design, creating and formatting pdf's and other documents
- Play-testers

I would add "rules writers" to this list. Nothing is more frustrating than poorly worded variants and expansions.

I took the easy way out with the EMMA expansion--I painstakingly went through Rob's rulebook and aligned and borrowed language for clarity and compatibility.

One of your participants could have a most brilliant packet idea, but if it is poorly written, it will detract from the experience. In a big way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
August222 wrote:
WarColonel wrote:

- Play-testers

I would add "rules writers" to this list. Nothing is more frustrating than poorly worded variants and expansions.

I took the easy way out with the EMMA expansion--I painstakingly went through Rob's rulebook and aligned and borrowed language for clarity and compatibility.

One of your participants could have a most brilliant packet idea, but if it is poorly written, it will detract from the experience. In a big way.

Very true. It usually takes me a half-dozen revisions for me to get the wording right when I do my Pathfinder home-brew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay so.... re-writing Risk 2210 to be more like Legacy? would we do a seperate thread in the 2210 forum for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
marhawkman wrote:
Okay so.... re-writing Risk 2210 to be more like Legacy? would we do a seperate thread in the 2210 forum for that?

Keep it in 2210, but link it into Legacy? Probably for the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: CHOOSE A RISK VERSION FOR "RISKZILLA"
This poll is being conducted to determine which version or versions of Risk will be the subject or subjects of "Riskzilla". The poll will run for two weeks until Friday, April 6th, 2012.
MULTIPLE SELECTIONS POSSIBLE:

As a project participant and content contributor, which version or versions of Risk do you want to be the focus of the crowd-sourced, fan-created rule set currently being referred to as "Riskzilla"?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Risk (1959+) with abstract player pieces
16.7% 2
Risk (1959+) with Infantry, Cavalry and Cannon player pieces
33.3% 4
Castle Risk (1986)
16.7% 2
Risk: Édition Napoléon (1999)
0.0% 0
Risk: 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition (1999)
0.0% 0
Risk 2210 A.D. (2001)
33.3% 4
Risk: The Lord of the Rings (2002)
8.3% 1
Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition (2003)
0.0% 0
Risk: Godstorm (2004)
0.0% 0
Risk: Star Wars Clone Wars Edition (2005)
0.0% 0
Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition (2006)
0.0% 0
Risk: Transformers (2007)
8.3% 1
Risk: Black Ops (2008)
8.3% 1
Risk: Revised Edition (2008)
16.7% 2
Risk: Balance of Power (2008)
0.0% 0
Risk: Halo Wars (2009)
0.0% 0
Risk Legacy (2011)
75.0% 9
Risk: Metal Gear Solid (2011)
0.0% 0
Risk: StarCraft (2012)
0.0% 0
Voters 12
IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE JUST ONE:
As a project participant and content contributor, which single version of Risk would you choose to be the focus of the crowd-sourced, fan-created rule set currently being referred to as "Riskzilla", if you could only choose one version?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Risk (1959 - today) - abstract player pieces
0.0% 0
Risk (1959 - today) - Infantry/Cavalry/Cannon pieces
16.7% 2
Castle Risk (1986)
8.3% 1
Risk: Édition Napoléon (1999)
0.0% 0
Risk: 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition (1999)
0.0% 0
Risk 2210 A.D. (2001)
8.3% 1
Risk: The Lord of the Rings (2002)
0.0% 0
Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition (2003)
0.0% 0
Risk: Godstorm (2004)
0.0% 0
Risk: Star Wars Clone Wars Edition (2005)
0.0% 0
Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy Edition (2006)
0.0% 0
Risk: Transformers (2007)
0.0% 0
Risk: Black Ops (2008)
0.0% 0
Risk: Revised Edition (2008)
0.0% 0
Risk: Balance of Power (2008)
0.0% 0
Risk: Halo Wars (2009)
0.0% 0
Risk Legacy (2011)
66.7% 8
Risk: Metal Gear Solid (2011)
0.0% 0
Risk: StarCraft (2012)
0.0% 0
Voters 12
This poll is now closed.   13 answers
Poll created by LordBobbio
Closes: Fri Apr 6, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
I would really recommend that the focus of this project be for Legacy. My previous favorite, Castle Risk, has a lot of potential for gaming ideas. specifically we could adapt a lot of the different card abilities for use with Legacy. The generals, admirals, and diplomats could be purchased using troop deployments and provide one-time benefits. Additional ideas are temporary 'portals' that allow players to travel to another board like the Moon, actual unconquerable locations, and purchasing heroes, ships, airplanes and spacecraft from cities, 'port' and 'airfield' mini-scars, and the afore mentioned Moon board.

Mini-scars are an idea I'd really like to pursue. You would buy them from a generic pool and be able to place them on territory. They would go under the name of the territory, not the scar slot, and give you the ability to purchase special units or abilities.

Special unit ideas:
- ships, which can be used to blockade sea routes or create temporary sea lanes
- planes, which are relocated durring deployment but give no defensive bonus
- starships, which give bonuses/negate penalties in battle

Anyway, just my ramblings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stuff in your first post sounds vry similar to Risk: 2210.

Speaking of which... Here's the thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8789382
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
marhawkman wrote:
The stuff in your first post sounds vry similar to Risk: 2210.

Speaking of which... Here's the thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8789382

Never actually played 2210.

I really think 'mini-scaring' may be the best way to go. Any permanent changes proposed shouldn't conflict with the preexisting rules and should be easy to ignore if desired. By designing them to be more innocuous than regular scars this solves both problems. If designed small enough, about 1/2 inch in diameter, this allows the possibility of multiple minis on a given territory, or make placement that much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think at first we should keep it just to new Event decks. Mechanically, it is mostly solved for us and there will be less of a chance for breaking the game.

We might assign groups "project themes" drawn from known (and predicted) conflict developments. Each group would need to work within the confines of their theme and develop 5-10 event cards based on that theme. Themes could range from terrorism to natural disasters, from homefront politics to treachery on the front line.

It would be nice to see if we could first pull off something easy, like two groups each exchanging four sealed packets of 5-10 event cards. Then branch out from there.

Just my two while we brainstorm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
August222 wrote:
I really think at first we should keep it just to new Event decks. Mechanically, it is mostly solved for us and there will be less of a chance for breaking the game.

We might assign groups "project themes" drawn from known (and predicted) conflict developments. Each group would need to work within the confines of their theme and develop 5-10 event cards based on that theme. Themes could range from terrorism to natural disasters, from homefront politics to treachery on the front line.

It would be nice to see if we could first pull off something easy, like two groups each exchanging four sealed packets of 5-10 event cards. Then branch out from there.

I could see the design teams breaking down into:
- Temporary expansions: cards for the various decks, like missions and events, or adding new units or armies.
- Permanent expansions: anything and everything that adds new scars, city types, faction powers, or otherwise changes the game in a 'forever' way.
- Board expansions: adding new continents or worlds separate for the preexisting board. This can include actually placing one board on top of another, replacing a continent of hemisphere.

For the first two, any rules must be completely inclusive, meaning nothing else is needed aside from a pdf printout, a sharpy, and some tape (for permanent changes). New boards could, and maybe should, be designed around using whatever other expansions are thought up and showcasing their full implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A set of new events sounds fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarColonel wrote:
August222 wrote:

I could see the design teams breaking down into:
- Temporary expansions: cards for the various decks, like missions and events, or adding new units or armies.
- Permanent expansions: anything and everything that adds new scars, city types, faction powers, or otherwise changes the game in a 'forever' way.
- Board expansions: adding new continents or worlds separate for the preexisting board. This can include actually placing one board on top of another, replacing a continent of hemisphere.

For the first two, any rules must be completely inclusive, meaning nothing else is needed aside from a pdf printout, a sharpy, and some tape (for permanent changes). New boards could, and maybe should, be designed around using whatever other expansions are thought up and showcasing their full implementation.

I agree all around, especially on the inclusive-rules nature of each packet.

I would first like to see, though, if we could get just two teams of packet exchangers to agree to 20 pdf event cards--five to a packet, four packets to an exchange. That may not seem like much, but it is quite a task.

If Riskzilla could achieve that, then the sky's the limit.

You could even set the 20 event cards up by theme (five cards to each packet):

Guild One: Terrorism, Scientific Advances, Leadership, Diplomacy.

Guild Two: Natural Disasters, Treachery at the Front, Jingoism, Special Tactics

This crowd-sourcing experiment requires no plastic and no adhesive. And still, it will be difficult to launch just this. Are there ten of us who would step forward, laptops in hand, and divide into two groups of five to create 20 event cards for the other group? Are there eight of us?

I'm Spartacus!

(sorry. I got carried away blush)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uh, sure. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon S
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
Well, how are we going to do this? Forums are a little public if we want to keep secrets. And pm's tend to get unwieldy. And who coordinates all this?

I already have a bunch of musings but really want to keep them quiet until they're ready. But I really need a couple extra eyes to go over them and someone with graphic skills to mock them up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WarColonel wrote:
Well, how are we going to do this? Forums are a little public if we want to keep secrets. And pm's tend to get unwieldy. And who coordinates all this?

I already have a bunch of musings but really want to keep them quiet until they're ready. But I really need a couple extra eyes to go over them and someone with graphic skills to mock them up.

I agree on all points. Riskzilla is going to need to recruit graphics/photoshop/publisher types as well.

Bob?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
WarColonel wrote:

I agree on all points. Riskzilla is going to need to recruit graphics/photoshop/publisher types as well.

Bob?

I can do any graphics needed. I'll try and post some examples in my personal gallery so folks can have some confidence in my abilities.

I don't anticipate the need for many fancy graphics... mostly rules changes and card text. Marks, scars for example, will need simple icons, not detailed illustrations.

One example:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler-Prevention Alert
& General Appeal to Hold-Off on Sharing Rules ideas:

I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for contributions to Riskzilla, but it's getting to the point where I have to ask:

Can folks please hold-off on contributing rules ideas and suggestions to this thread until we've got the scope and organization in place?

In order make the best use of everyone's rules suggestions, we need to maintain "silos" of secrecy. After all, we want the new rules to be surprises to the end-users, correct?

For now I'll make two BGG Guilds, and if folks want to post rules ideas they should put them there.

If your BGG Username begins A-M, (or with a number) you're in:
Riskzilla - Rules Guild No. 1 for Contributors A-M

If your BGG Username begins N-Z, you're in:
Riskzilla - Rules Guild No. 2 for Contributors N-Z

Please keep general organizational and project talk in this thread, but if you want to share rules ideas, please use the appropriate BGG Guild for now.

(Well, if the Guilds are approved by the BGG Admins that is...)

(EDIT - added links to the working Guilds)

Here are the BGG Guilds...

Remember, if your BGG Username starts with 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 or 9 or letters A B C D E F G H I J K L or M, you're in Guild 1.

Riskzilla - Rules Guild No. 1 for Contributors A-M

If your BGG Username starts with N O P Q R S T U V W X Y or Z, you're in Guild 2.

Riskzilla - Rules Guild No. 2 for Contributors N-Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wait... the guild for a-m is # but so is the guild for n-z.

Wouldn't it be better to make a list of peeps sor talphabetically the split? Just in case the names aren't distributed evenly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
wait... the guild for a-m is # but so is the guild for n-z.

Wouldn't it be better to make a list of peeps sor talphabetically the split? Just in case the names aren't distributed evenly?

Thanks for catching that marhawkman, I changed the post to show the correct BGG Guild names.

I thought about the alphabetical distribution issue, but we have a pressing need to start segregating rules ideas, and we don't yet know how many folks are willing to get involved.

We'll have to wait until the poll closes for which version of Risk we'll be working on as well. I'll probably make another poll this weekend regarding the reach of the project within the chosen version or versions.

If we have more in one group than another, that's okay so long as we have critical mass in each to get the job done. If one group has more contributors than the other, the larger group will benefit from having more ideas bouncing around to draw from, and the smaller group will benefit from each contributor having a slightly larger voice in the end product.

If it ends-up really lop-sided, will see if we can recruit some new folks to shore-up the group that has too few members. We might end-up without enough in either group, or with too many in each. My guess is it's wait and see??

Any input on how to handle this, keeping the need for some immediate segregating of idea streams?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose we can always change the distribution later if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.