Subject: Request for Dr. Lobo villain card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a Dr. Lobo villain card made. So if the agents find all the correct intel they could have one final show down at his hidden Location. Add some excitement to the end game instead of just flipping the tokens over. Or at least as an optional variant to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've learned that there isn't a Dr. Lobo card. Without it the game seems like watching a James Bond movie and never seeing the real villain he's up against.

Yes, please, make a Dr. Lobo card! He's just too cool looking to remain on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmmm.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
Ummmmm.....

Yes. I could have sworn the 'one final show down' was the entire end-game of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's issue isn't with the Dr. Lobo tracking card. He wants a Dr. Lobo character card with stats, and a method to have some sort of final group encounter against Dr. Lobo. Based on the basic rules information currently available, the end game consists of revealing the Intel tokens collected throughout the game, compare them to the token requirements on the current position on Dr. Lobo's track, and see if you've won. Some people may view this as "anti-climatic". There's no final encounter with the big baddie. Not having played the game, I don't know if this is true or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Michael Spencer
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
The OP's issue isn't with the Dr. Lobo tracking card. He wants a Dr. Lobo character card with stats, and a method to have some sort of final group encounter against Dr. Lobo. Based on the basic rules information currently available, the end game consists of revealing the Intel tokens collected throughout the game, compare them to the token requirements on the current position on Dr. Lobo's track, and see if you've won. Some people may view this as "anti-climatic". There's no final encounter with the big baddie. Not having played the game, I don't know if this is true or not.

It would be precisely as anticlimactic as ending Arkham Horror by sealing X gates, comparing it to the number of players, and declaring victory. And yet, that is the ending my group always strives for because it avoids the endgame against the "big bad", which is both a dicefest and functionally a very different game. I would fear the same sort of thing happening with this game, if you tried to shoehorn an extended boss fight into the game's existing mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paxton73 wrote:
I'd like to see a Dr. Lobo villain card made. So if the agents find all the correct intel they could have one final show down at his hidden Location. Add some excitement to the end game instead of just flipping the tokens over. Or at least as an optional variant to the rules.

I originally thought of having a different set of encounters for Dr. Lobo - in the endgame. But then the Intel part of the game worked so well for play-testers - in fact, several commented on how unique it is, (although I never myself thought of it as such) that I didn't write endgame encounters. Plus, the game already has a ton of encounters. Writing more would have really added to my workload.

The endgame works fine. I didn't want to make a complicated game, but it does look like the game is going to sell fairly well, fingers crossed, and I would be glad later on to create a more elaborate ending with the players actually encountering Dr Lobo himself. That does sound exciting.

Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
paxton73 wrote:

I originally thought of having a different set of encounters for Dr. Lobo - in the endgame. But then the Intel part of the game worked so well for play-testers - in fact, several commented on how unique it is, (although I never myself thought of it as such) that I didn't write endgame encounters. Plus, the game already has a ton of encounters. Writing more would have really added to my workload.

The endgame works fine. I didn't want to make a complicated game, but it does look like the game is going to sell fairly well, fingers crossed, and I would be glad later on to create a more elaborate ending with the players actually encountering Dr Lobo himself. That does sound exciting.

Jason

You know, now that I think about it, having Dr. Lobo as the main enounter for every play of the endgame sort of defeats the desire for replayability anyway. It would be more of a shame to get bored with stomping on the "boss" character than him being a shadowy figure.

Maybe with a number of different ways to encounter him in the Book of Encounters through some scripted scenario designs it would work better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the design as it is. Games with a similar design (Fortune and Glory, Defenders of the Realm) have been well received by most everyone I've played them with. In all of these games, you have to defeat an overall "evil organization". But players actually interact with that organization's henchmen/generals/villains. Having a different mix of henchmen/generals/villains each game allows for variety from play to play, while still allowing the overall win condition to remain the same: to defeat the evil organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
Excuse me you signed your name Jason when all this time I thought your name was Edward!

enditen wrote:
paxton73 wrote:

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.