Popular Tags: [View All]
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a (I think) portuguese book called Os melhores jogos do mundo which has several mancalas game on it, including one called andot which has some new features:

Clockwise or counter-clockwise seeding (depends on the house)
No capture, instead when the last stone is dropped in an opponent's house with just two stones you create a 'daughter" (it's like a trap, the opponent can't harvest stones there and every stone accumulated there belongs to you)

The book says it is played in Sudan, by the Begas (nomads I think).

Anyone ever heard of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
I have a (I think) portuguese book called Os melhores jogos do mundo which has several mancalas game on it, including one called andot which has some new features:

No capture, instead when the last stone is dropped in an opponent's house with just two stones you create a 'daughter" (it's like a trap, the opponent can't harvest stones there and every stone accumulated there belongs to you)

Anyone ever heard of?

It is described in The Complete Mancala Games Book, with some differences in the daughter creation rules (making a "four" instead of a "three", and creating daughters in your own row also).

Interesting bit, the book says that Andot means "manure pellets", from the material used as stones. Have you got by chance an original andot set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Paolo Robino wrote:
PSchulman wrote:

Anyone ever heard of?

It is described in The Complete Mancala Games Book, with some differences in the daughter creation rules (making a "four" instead of a "three", and creating daughters in your own row also).

Interesting bit, the book says that Andot means "manure pellets", from the material used as stones. Have you got by chance an original andot set?

You're right, to create a daughter you need to make a four (I was pretty anxious to post sorry!) and deliberately left out to mention you can create a daughter in your "head houses"... Maybe I can set a visit to the zoo to get an andot set, let's see... Camel's would be very thematic gulp.

What do you think about gameplay (in relation with other mancala games)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Robino
Italy
Dueville
Vicenza
flag msg tools
"I'm a Nay Saying worm beast!"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
What do you think about gameplay (in relation with other mancala games)?

Never played that, but it sounds interesting. I'll try that as soon as I get the chance -- with my usual mancala set though, no "andots" for me, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Gering
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
Here is a link:

http://mancala.wikia.com/wiki/Andot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.