Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Alright, let me preface this rant with a caveat, I have not played this game, I don't know how good/bad it is. I am hoping that my points are all things that people have not thought of, and that I can get someone who has played the game to set me straight, but the concepts I'm seeing in this game are as follows.

Also, I am not trying to be contentious, just seeing if this is something I would play, cause I like the concepts as I'm seeing them.

I'm hearing that the choices you make don't affect enough of the game to be worth making them. The choice to get a high cost student at the expense of getting a teacher that's subpar for your opponent, the seeing what your opponents's focus is and trying to find the best way to avoid losing your sanity, as well as attacking theirs. The seeing that your opponent is getting high power students so you have to get high toughness, low damage faculty or vice versa.

The question of going econ or power based on what your opponent is doing, that seems like a great mechanic to me. As for the randomness in combat, and I may be wrong on this, but I think the whole point of this game is that you will go insane, there's no question of that, it's a matter of retaining what you have over the most time.

Damage calculations seem to be another matter of concern on this board.
The concepts of damage dealt, absorption, and survival of teachers seem fairly easy to me. You discard all non-faculty from your hand, flip x cards where x is the number of teachers revealed, deal first strike damage of all of your students to the teachers of your choice, surviving faculty deal trample damage against your students and you lose Y sanity where Y is the difference between their sum totals in power and your sum totals in resilience. I don't see how any magic player could have a problem with this (This was originally meant as a query for a specific poster, but I decided to make it a general topic.). As for the aggressive keyword, it seems like when it's bought you go into combat and pull one card then resolve a combat, and the friendly keyword, when it's bought it goes to your classroom to help out against your teachers instead of going to the purchase pile.

I've also played Magic for quite some time and have moved to Ascension, and while there aren't very many choices between 2 differing abilities, there are a few that can be easily mentioned.

Not 100% on the names of these cards, but I'm fairly sure they're at least conceptually in existence.
Mechana Initiate - 1 Power or 1 Rune
Lunar Stag(Really not sure about the name, but I know the card exists) - 2 VP or 2 Rune

Choices abound in this, another game the complaints I've seen make me think of is Quarriors, specifically the drawing your hand on your turn. Quarriors you have literally 36 hands (note I don't say unique) with each set of dice, that you don't know what you'll end up with. Ok, so most of the time you'll power any critters you can and buy with the rest, but a number of times I've been put in the position of powering a critter or buying another critter, the choice between making my deck stronger or attacking, seems like a concept that is coming up with this game quite a bit, I hope the game has as much depth as I'm giving it credit for, any insights from players who have gotten hold of this game would be much appreciated to the tune of the purchase price of the game.

Thanks in advance, also should anyone who has a copy of this game that they don't see themselves enjoying, I wouldn't mind trading for or buying a copy, let me know if it's something you'd be interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this post under reviews, and how did this get past modding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Sainte Anne de Bellevue
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

A quick message to the mods would have worked. Maybe next time you'll leave the condescending tone off the forums. Maybe it was just a mistake in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

No kidding. Its a review and the first sentence is:
Quote:
Alright, let me preface this rant with a caveat, I have not played this game, I don't know how good/bad it is.
Geekmods asleep at the wheel. With this lack of effort, you'd think they let any swinging dick be a geekmod. ...oh wait they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously. Edwin, I appreciate the effort but this isn't a review. You haven't played it, how could you possibly have an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

A quick message to the mods would have worked. Maybe next time you'll leave the condescending tone off the forums. Maybe it was just a mistake in the end.

There was no tone, it was just a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

I thought the article was a good read and even thumbed it. Its simply not a review. And in my case the condescending attitude is aimed squarely at the lack of I institutional control of the geekmod system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

Yeah I'm seeing a lot of this lately. I think people have forgotten that a "general" forum exists.

And moderation is nearly broken, mods are asleep at the wheel, just auto-clicking for GG. I've seen session reports accidentally submitted as reviews and still get through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, I PLAYED the game and didn't post it as a review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Who is the mod to contact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joke answer to thread title:
3 standard deviations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Sainte Anne de Bellevue
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

Who were you asking? The OP?
Maybe a simple suggestion would have came across a little nicer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

...so, like, how long have you been using the internet anyway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Sainte Anne de Bellevue
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
mpin wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:

...so, like, how long have you been using the internet anyway?

Just because this is common doesn't mean it should be acceptable. I'm just trying to say that there were alternative, more polite ways to get the message across.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:

I've also played Magic for quite some time and have moved to Ascension...

I thought for second that the OP played M:TG and then moved from it into Ascension board game for the same feeling. 'Guess reading the whole article would've helped, but not really; maybe a rules read would've helped though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Seriously. Edwin, I appreciate the effort but this isn't a review. You haven't played it, how could you possibly have an opinion.

For the game Urban Sprawl, Octavian established that it was perfectly legitimate to post a review after only having read the rules when he moved a thread from general to reviews which was only a rules analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Ok, well, to be honest I was looking for reviews, so I guess I posted this to the wrong forum, I apologize. Something about 2 AM and the first time posting on this board for quite some time.

Alright, so, can I get a mod to shift this to a proper forum where I might get a response as opposed to throwing me under the bus. As I stated, I didn't want this to be a review, I wanted to go through what I see looking at the game, and get an assessment of how far off I was, for which I thank Yaverot. Ok, so, thanks anyone who contributed to this conversation, and I suppose I'll talk to someone again in general(hopefully).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:

While I don't think this should be in reviews, he can easily have an opinion about this game without having played it. You can read a manual and many threads and look at the cards and form some sort of conclusion. IT won't be as good as actually having played it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
What difference does it make? So it's in reviews, so what? You can read it and see it is not a review instantly so it doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
What difference does it make? So it's in reviews, so what? You can read it and see it is not a review instantly so it doesn't matter.

So why organize BGG at all then? Have just one big general forum.
What about a Cargo Noir review posted in the Small World forum? What difference does it make? You can read it and see instantly it is for a different game, so it doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
richiebabes wrote:

You should have gone further, posted it under a different game.

That'd show em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:
Alright, so, can I get a mod to shift this to a proper forum

Moved to Miskatonic School for Girls» Forums » General at OP's request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Why are people allowed to post in a thread without discussing the topic at all?

I am also curious as to what the negative/possitive thoughts on the game are but apparently we need a dozen rant posts about whether it should be under "review" first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
I am also curious as to what the negative/positive thoughts on the game are but apparently we need a dozen rant posts about whether it should be under "review" first.

Reviews go through geekmod and earn . When I geekmod I don't do reviews/session reports/videos. Too much work to do it right.

---

Unfortunately my joke answer was acknowledged and not just with a thumb. (It was to break the where/why rants.) Now I feel compelled to give a real answer.

---
I haven't played the game either. I haven't read the rules. I have however looked a little here so that I can attempt a thoughtful reply.

This game appears to not be about strategy, but about using limited tactics to counter luck. And you go from perfectly healthy to be_the_last_not_to_die. Both of these concepts you have to be in mind for when you start a play.

The people I know, the downward spiral this game scores from is completely unpalatable. They play games for fun, what is the fun of being the last survivor from a horror movie? I can see how this game is what some people want.

On the other issue of randomness/luck, Quarriors and Dominion are different; MSfG will feel more Quarriors level, simply because your opponents keep screwing with your probabilities.

People come to games thinking they're going to make certain decisions, or types of decisions. If they're expecting types X & Y, they're going to be frustrated by a game that has fake X&Y choices because Q choices are important.

Buying from the tableau is an X choice, but its seams people say it doesn't matter, you will buy. Then it is a help-myself, hurt-opponent choice, and degree; and the market keeps changing, and, and, and...

So you need N experience with the game to ID the real choices, and then make them right.
---

I do want to play this game someday, and then be able to look back at my ignorant ramblings above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:

I've also played Magic for quite some time and have moved to Ascension,

This is kindof like Ascension but with even less choices available of what to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.