Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard G
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anybody offer any comparison between AoS and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game by Flying Frog Games? I suppose if played with the Book of Encounters, AoS would have a richer story, but how different are they when AoS is played with the cards?

Thanks for any opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CuriousG wrote:
Can anybody offer any comparison between AoS and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game by Flying Frog Games? I suppose if played with the Book of Encounters, AoS would have a richer story, but how different are they when AoS is played with the cards?

Thanks for any opinions!

They are not anything alike. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
CuriousG wrote:

Thanks for any opinions!

Thank you for the well thought out, in depth reply to an honest question. Maybe the designer can chime in to elaborate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the information on the front page of each game's BGG entry, they appear to share a number of categories and mechanics. AoS seems more story-based, which appeals to me, but I'd be grateful for a more detailed comparison from someone familiar with both games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CuriousG wrote:
Looking at the information on the front page of each game's BGG entry, they appear to share a number of categories and mechanics. AoS seems more story-based, which appeals to me, but I'd be grateful for a more detailed comparison from someone familiar with both games.

Thanks!

I designed the game, and I've played fortune and glory and there are no similarities besides these: There is a world map you move around and your character can be injured. The mechanics are completely different, the gameplay is completely different.

I apologize that I can't give a more elaborate response, but it is the last 3 days of the Campaign and I am getting a ton of emails as well as trying to prepare the game for print. But I do I want to pop in here to post quick answers these last few days.

If you look around the forums you will see there is a lot of information I've posted on the game - mostly in response to questions. You may also read the rules or the Game Sessions I posted. In the coming weeks I will be able to answer your questions more thoroughly. Very sorry. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played AoS, but have researched the available information thoroughly, and have backed the game. I own FANG and have played it a lot.

Similarities (when playing FANG in co-op mode):
- They're both pure co-op games. All players win, or all lose.
- Each player controls a character with multiple stats.
- Stats can be improved during the game.
- Items can be acquired and used during the game.
- Characters face skill tests, and roll dice to resolve the tests.
- The test you face is determined by a randomly-drawn card.
- Players are collecting a resource required to win the game. It's Intel in AoS, and Fortune in FANG.
- There are tougher, named opponents that you occasionally encounter. In AoS they're Henchmen, and in FANG they're Villains.
- The power of the enemy organization increases throughout the game. If it reaches a certain level/total, the players lose.

Differences:
- AoS is a story-telling game, so there is a focus on the narrative. In FANG, there is ample flavor text on the cards, but it's not required to play the game, and is often ignored by seasoned players.
- FANG can be played as a competitive game, or as a team game, in addition to a co-op mode.
- The tests (Dangers) in FANG are totally random, while the encounter cards in AoS are region specific. This means in FANG you could encounter Ice Caves in the Sahara, while in AoS you would not.
- FANG include two enemy organizations to choose from: the Chicago mob and the Nazis. AoS only includes one: SMERSH.
- In co-op FANG, players can work together to pass tests. I haven't seen this feature described in AoS.

I'm sure there are more, but that's the gist of what I know. I suspect the main difference is the item I bolded above. AoS is designed to tell a coherent story, while FANG is a sequence of random dangers, fights, and events. In case it's not clear, I'm a big fan of FANG. It's a very flexible and varied system, but the very nature of the system means you can have some quirky situations unfold. The story it tells is always interesting, but not always believeable. Hopefully AoS delivers a solid story, while also delivering a solid co-op strategy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, that guy with the picture of the game below his name, I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. . . .
whistle

Poliorcetes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful and thoughtful reply, Matt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poliorcetes wrote:
I don't know, that guy with the picture of the game below his name, I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about. . . .
whistle

Poliorcetes

I wasn't trying to disagree with the designer, just providing some more detail. I was just trying to help the OP by pointing out the obvious similarities. I'm sure the game AoS experience feels different from FANG. The story telling aspect of AoS should keep players rooted in the narrative, whereas in FANG players tend to focus more on the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thechairman wrote:
enditen wrote:
CuriousG wrote:

Thanks for any opinions!

Thank you for the well thought out, in depth reply to an honest question. Maybe the designer can chime in to elaborate.

You do realize
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
is the designer right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
Poliorcetes wrote:
whistle

Poliorcetes

I wasn't trying to disagree with the designer, just providing some more detail. I was just trying to help the OP by pointing out the obvious similarities. I'm sure the game AoS experience feels different from FANG. The story telling aspect of AoS should keep players rooted in the narrative, whereas in FANG players tend to focus more on the mechanics.

I think the comment was actually directed at
G Schulteis
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Maxwell:
Congratulations on a very successful campaign! Try to get some well deserved rest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.