Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: I've noticed that Gate Bursts can lengthen a game of Arkham Horror, while turns can become a little less lively if gates aren't opening because of sealed locations.

1. Gate Bursts: The endgame is to seal six gates, or close gates normally. Any elder signs removed from the board because of gate bursts or other effects still count towards the endgame requirements.

2. Alternate Gates: If one of the gates is sealed, a gate opens at the other location. If a Clue cannot be placed at one of the locations on the card, place it at the other, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Introduction: I've noticed that Gate Bursts can lengthen a game of Arkham Horror, while turns can become a little less lively if gates aren't opening because of sealed locations.

1. Gate Bursts: The endgame is to seal six gates, or close gates normally. Any elder signs removed from the board because of gate bursts or other effects still count towards the endgame requirements.
Game length isn't really an issue with my group, so we wouldn't get much value from this. Plus I like the way that a Gate Burst actually takes away your victory conditions. Gate Bursts mean you can never get complacent, you have to work fast and you have to consider whether Sealing the Big Four is the right strategy given that they are most likely to Burst

Quote:
2. Alternate Gates: If one of the gates is sealed, a gate opens at the other location. If a Clue cannot be placed at one of the locations on the card, place it at the other, if possible.
Now this I like. It's a great way to keep the tension in the game once you have the Big Four Sealed and you're experiencing "bounce" after bounce while waiting for one of the less unstable Gates to open. Great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K.
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a solitaire player who doesn't want to play beyond a couple of hours usually, I'm really not keen on gate bursts - they'll often just annoy me enough to pack up. I like these ideas and will give them a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hornless Unicorn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reviving an year old thread "Rise necrothread, rise"
I was thinking of some variants:

1a) If gate is sealed: roll a die: 1-3 add a doom token
1b) If gate is sealed: +1 terror track

2a) Gate is sealed: draw a new card and tread this draw as per rules - This will make the mythos deck cycle faster.
2b) Gate is sealed: draw a new card and roll a die: 1-3 resolve both mythos effects.
2c) Gate is sealed: draw cards until you get an unsealed gate location. Draw double the monsters spawn from that gate.

3)Described in another thread, but it will make the game longer:
Gate is sealed: Flip elder sign token.
Gate has doom token: add doom token on the terror track(the space is now empty).

Let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.