$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
292 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 

War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Pairings & Results for the 2012 War of the Ring International Tournament! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
The battle for Middle Earth has begun! (If you haven't registered yet there is still time!)

A big thanks to Kevin Wojtaszczyk for once again helping out with the pairings, which will be hosted and maintained by himself at the following site:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~kwojtasz/WoTR/wotr2012internatio...

Because of how many players are involved, 54, the pairings look a bit more confusing than usual. Basically most people have opponents R1, with a few folks not having to play until R2. The bracket is divided into two undefeated groups on the right and left side, and two groups for the losers as well on the bottom. Your name may be on either side, look for it! Then if you are under the R1 column, the nearest name to yours is your opponent. Go to the tournament registration page here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/772245/2012-war-of-the-ring-...

find your opponent, send him an email and try to figure out when you are both available to play. Remember that the java program allows you to save matches, so you do not have to complete it in one sitting. Using the Java program is a little tricky as well, feel free to post any questions here. As a mac user for example I find I have to disable my firewall if I want to host the game, but not if I'll be joining someone else. There are some instructions on using the program here:
http://www.warofthering.eu/onlineinstructions.htm

If your opponent does not communicate to you within three days please let me know. I will try to contact the player. We want to keep the tournament moving so we will drop folks who do not communicate promptly. I recommend you have your BGG emails forwarded to your personal email.

Post rules question here or email any of the judges, although I think posting here is probably faster! The official judges for the event are:

Michael Sosa
Kristofer Bengtsson (Veldrin)
Kevin Wojtaszczyk

Note that there are quite a few other experts with the WotR rules, so I would not wait for an official decision unless you really want to!

Shadow or Free?: Sides will be selected by the following rules, in order:

1. If playing the same opponent a second time, flip sides from 1st game.
2. Play the side that you have played the least. If tied, go to step 3.
3. Randomly choose sides: One player rolls a d6. If it comes up odd the rolling player is Shadow, if it comes up even the rolling player is Free.

Results: Please also post here the result of your matches. If you would like to be ranked in our online ladder system then you most post results in a particular format.

Player A (winner)
Shadow: XXX
Free: XXX -> YYY
Games: X -> Y (Games played on the ladder)
Average: XXX -> YYY

Player B (loser)
Shadow: XXX -> YYY
Free: XXX
Games: X -> Y (Games played on the ladder)
Average: XXX -> YYY

For newcomers to the ladder your starting rating is 500 for each side.

For instructions on how to calculate the new rating see: http://www.warofthering.eu/onlineladderinstructions.htm

Special rule situations:
1. Always allow Shadow to roll their event dice first so that no dispute about how many eyes Shadow intended to put in the hunt can arise.

2. If one side rolls extra dice, the other side can choose to accept the dice as shown or reroll them.

3. Forgetting to place one Eye in the hunt box if Free moved the fellowship the previous turn: If discovered before any action die is used that turn, Free can choose to keep the result or reroll with at least one Eye in the hunt box. If this is discovered after any action die has been used and Shadow has at least two unused action dice remaining, Free can choose which of the remaining Shadow action dice to turn into an Eye.

3. If a player prematurely reveals cards in combat:
a. if the card revealed belong to that player he can hide it and choose another or the same.
b. if the card revealed belonged to his opponent that player forfeits play of a combat card.

4. WK ability to draw must be taken before dice are rolled again for the following combat round or the next action dice used for an action. Past that point the draw ability is forfeited. Gandalf's draw ability must be done before the next action die is used for an action by that player. Yes, these rules are lenient.

Prizes: Depending on the level of donations I hope to award at least two plaques, one for the champion and one to the best performing novice. Ares Games will also be awarding a copy of The Lords of Middle Earth expansion to the champion and best novice. Hopefully there will be plaques for 2d and 3d place as well.

Finally have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pairings are ready for the 2012 War of the Ring International Tournament!
I'm a little confused about the elimination format. When the rules say "double elimination" does that just refer to progress to the loser's bracket? It was mentioned in the original thread that we swap sides each game, but I don't see how that's possible if we're only playing one game each round (two players could both advance having played the same side last).

Basically my question is "how many games do we play against each opponent?"

Thanks for organizing! Looking forward to the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Each round is for one game. Loser goes to loser's bracket, winner advances. After several rounds each group will have one undefeated player playing against someone with a record like 5-1, the winner from that match plays the winner from the similar match in the other group. By groups I mean the left and right side of the bracket.

By double elimination we mean that you are out if you lose two games in the tournament, which is likely to happen with different players. Now if two players from each group were to make it undefeated to the final match, then one of them would end up losing two games to the other and be eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been asked to write down first round matches for clarification. Here they are:

Group A (left side of bracket)
Schramm v. Johnstone
Wojtaszczyk v. Quentin
Guillermo v. Tjader
Sosa v. Todd Penland
Rose v. Hilton
Wagner v. Fields
Ashton v. Englehart
Michael Hall v. Bonnell
Kiefte v. Gormley
Sturrock v. KaiteMcB
Majek v. Pleva

Group B (right side of bracket)
Gamesjart v. Thomas
Gagnon v. Withew
Young v. David F.
Helios v. Greg S.
Freman v. Wilson
Mister Easton v. TJ
Schemmann v. Doomfarer
Rafamir v. Fogg
Kampmann v. The Bill
Chris R. v. Scott
Bill D. v. Matthew Miller
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a BBG Handle link next to each user name so everyone can more easily get to their opponent's BBG profile page so they can email them to setup their day/time to play their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ashton
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Ashton (mvkhaos, FP) defeated Mark Englehart (Coyote13, SP) on Turn 9 with a ring victory at 6 corruption. Sauron could just not seem to draw eyes ... er, focus his burning eye on the ring-bearers.

Equal Rating (+/-16)

mvkhaos
Shadow: 472
Free: 500 -> 516
Games: 6 -> 7
Average: 486 -> 494

Coyote13
Shadow: 500 -> 484
Free: 500
Games: 0 -> 1
Average: 500 -> 492

Edit: didn't have Coyote13's username above his stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ladder updated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszczyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bracket updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
haha, maybe a simple thumbs up to the poster by each of you is sufficient?! There are going to be a lot of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmb
When you say email them, you mean GeekMail, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So supposed the Shadow allocates 0 action dice when they were forced to allocate 1. But instead they roll. This happens pretty often in 2e. What then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
And if I read the special tournament rule #3 correctly, if FP cast Daylight, capping the Shadow at 3 combat dice, and the shadow goes ahead and rolls
6 5 4 3 2 (6s are hits)
1 2 3 4 (leader reroll)

Then the FP can either accept 1 hit, or force them to reroll all combat and leader dice?

And if the Shadow caught their error mid-roll, and rolled like this
6 5 4 3 2 (6s are hits)
6 6 (leader reroll)

Then the free has a choice of accepting 3 hits or rerolling all, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
My position is that when extra dice are rolled, the opponent can choose to keep the result or force the correct # of dice to be rolled. So:

First example, yes.
Second example, yes again.

On the topic of error allocating dice, if caught immediately reroll all dice after allocating one. If caught later I would say randomly determine which of the remaining dice becomes an Eye? That seems fair although I would not allow this if the Shadow have one die remaining. Seems it could lead to a gamey situation. I'm curious to see what the other judges think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
blondlostime wrote:
When you say email them, you mean GeekMail, right?

Yes. Send a geek mail, hopefully they are checking BGG or have forwarded their mail. If no reply after three days let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave 65tdh
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen soo very many errors on combat rolls that I would recommend that everyone, everytime write out what they are rolling. It takes almost zero time and can actually save time by clearing up errors before they happen--which is much, much easier.

The system that we developed is in the format:
# of cr/# of lr at cr hit #s/lrr hit #s (cr=combat roll; lrr=leader rerolls).

So for example, 9/1/4 (ie, 9 regulars, 1 elite and 4 nazguls) attacks WR (ie, a stronghold) 1/1/1 it would be
5/4 at 6s for the sp (ie, 5 cr with 4 possible lrrs, both hitting at 6s; and
2/1 at 5s for the fp.

If the sp played desperate battle, now it's
5/4 at 5s for the sp; and
2/1 at 4s for the fp.

If the fp also played advantageous position, now it's
5/4 at 6/5s for the sp; and still
2/1 at 4s for the fp.

It is very easy once you get used to it and makes it very simple to determine how many hits you got and how many dice to reroll. Seriously, try it.

Here is a log of another example (gandalf's 2nd attack on Pelagir trying to retake it yet agian and send the game into turn 13):
%GJ moves !Corsairs of Umbar/Deadly Strife! from Shadow Hand to Current SA Card.
% gamble!
% 3/2 at 3s
% fp_dave rolls 3 4 1
% fp_dave rolls 5
% 3 hits
% 4@3
% come on orcs!
% GJ rolls 5 3 5 2
%fp_dave kills group (Gandalf the White, Pippin, [3]Rohan Regular) in Osgiliath.
% yay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:
Gandalf's draw ability must be done before the next event die is used for an action by that player.

Regarding special rule #4, do you mean before the next action die is used, rather than event die? Not sure I follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrected! I meant next action die roll or combat roll, which ever happens first. I've lost many cards by forgetting this stuff.

In other news, a new player has joined the tournament and we shifted Lord Aragorn and Lee Forester around to accommodate him. We are up to 55 players now, that's 20+ more players than our previous high.

Finally regarding the online client, I'm on my first match and my opponent and I found that we had to scroll through the too small card window to be able to read the entire card. Spoke to Andrew and he advised me to adjust some settings. Below is a reposting of his instructions:

The default layout that is included with the download may not suit various monitors. To change the right-hand panels you can edit the wotr_preferences file for various entries to increase the size of the panels. There are also other options in there you can change, but I would recommend backing up the file first before you change anything just in case.

My entries for the panel sizes that suits a larger monitor are:
cardsWidth:210
cardsHeight:121
diceFPWidth:210
diceFPHeight:38
diceSAWidth:210
diceSAHeight:72
highlightWidth:210
highlightHeight:340
chatWidth:210
chatHeight:152
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhamed Vila
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Sarajevo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Muhamed Vila (freman, FP) defeated Keith Wilson (kjpw_88, SP) on Turn 10
FPMV - Umbar, Far Harad and Dol Guldur.
Shadow at 7 VPs (HD, MT, Rivendell, Pelargir) and 2 corruption points.

I've quit trying to move the Fellowship after he revealed me 3 times on my way to Moria. Rohan defended successfully and I've seen the opportunity to counterattack. Strider and Boromir took Umbar. Eventually he got back his Orthanc and I thought I was doomed at that point. However, I somehow managed to sneak into Dol Guldur for the victory. His last chance was to conquer Lorien, but they've defended with a little help from Gandalf.

Muhamed Vila (freman)
Shadow: 484
Free: 501 +16 -> 517
Games: 5 -> 6
Average: 493 -> 501

Keith Wilson (kjpw_88)
Games: 0 -> 1
Average: 500 -> 492
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Hilton (lykouragh, SP) defeated Craig Rose (Tsugo, FP)
Shadow military victory, after a hard fight. Legolas and Gimli, forted up in Lorien, managed to kill the Witch King and about 25 Army units before finally falling....and then a Beorning had snuck into Dale and had to be kicked back out.

I'm not sure whether it should be a ladder game as neither of us are on the ladder yet and we didn't discuss it.

Edit: and apparently I get to play Veldrin next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
The ladder is just a ranking, it is actually useful for the tournament because it helps to seed players based on skill. I encourage everyone to report their games as ladder games although it is not a requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
lykouragh wrote:
Jordan Hilton (lykouragh, SP) defeated Craig Rose (Tsugo, FP)
Shadow military victory, after a hard fight. Legolas and Gimli, forted up in Lorien, managed to kill the Witch King and about 25 Army units before finally falling....and then a Beorning had snuck into Dale and had to be kicked back out.

I'm not sure whether it should be a ladder game as neither of us are on the ladder yet and we didn't discuss it.

Edit: and apparently I get to play Veldrin next.

Here are the ladder ratings if you want to be on the ladder:

lykouragh
Shadow: 500 -> 516
Games: 1
Average: 508

Tsugo
Shadow: 500
Free: 500 -> 484
Average: 492

So, when should we play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:

Here are the ladder ratings if you want to be on the ladder:

lykouragh
Shadow: 500 -> 516

Tsugo
Free: 500 -> 484

So, when should we play?

Thanks for doing the ratings! PMing you about when we should play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Belisarius88 wrote:

On the topic of error allocating dice, if caught immediately reroll all dice after allocating one.

That seems fair.

Quote:
If caught later I would say randomly determine which of the remaining dice becomes an Eye? That seems fair although I would not allow this if the Shadow have one die remaining. Seems it could lead to a gamey situation. I'm curious to see what the other judges think.
I'd say FP should choose the action die of their choice in that situation, possibly incuding a rolled eye. Doing random seems to benefit the shadow - if I were worried about FPMV, I'd be tempted to intentionally "forget" so that I'd have as few eyes as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems reasonable, as the error would have been the Shadow player's responsibility. I will add it to the special rules, with the exception that if Shadow has one one die left it would be too late to correct the error.

Also we have 56 participants in this year's tournament! Total donations received? $28. Ok $33 counting myself. My goal is probably just over $100, since that should allow me to buy and ship three plaques.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralf Schemmann (FP) defeated Doomfarer (SA) with a turn 13 Free People military victory.

The game swung wildly from a dream military opening for the Free (Aragorn and Book of Mazarbul in turn 2 and FP on 6 dice by turn 4), to a rather bloody hunt (Gollum had to take over just after Moria), to a 1 corruption declare in Mordor, to a desperate battle for Orthanc in turn 13 - which Gandalf the White and Pippin managed to hold onto by their fingernails. Frodo and Sam finished at 9 corruption without a successful move in Mordor.

Doomfarer played well for a newbie (he did make some mistakes of course, but who doesn't), and it was very enjoyable playing him. Thanks for the game, Paul!

Our ladder entries (both new):

Uthoroc
Free: 500 -> 516

Doomfarer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.