24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Bugs

Subject: One of the creepiest things I've ever seen on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: creepy [+] [View All]
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a bug or a feature? Trust me, this is good, so stick with me here through the initial boring bits. Start by checking out these two images in Large:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/430388/vor?size=large
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/430387/vor?size=large

Everything seems normal, right? You should be seeing the front and back cover for a book for a miniatures game, which looks something like what you see in the images below (heavily cropped here to fit):

image #430388

image #430387

Now for the scary part. Now view the same images at medium size. Go on, do it! Here's the links:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/430388/vor?size=medium
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/430387/vor?size=medium

Now you'll see something quite different. At least, here's what shows up for me:

image #430388

image #430387

SAY WHAT???? The large sized views show an innocent looking book, while the small, square, medium, and original sized views all show the crazy fella with/sans beard! What is going on here?

I only stumbled across this because I saw it come through GeekMod with a request to change the gallery from game to people. In GeekMod it showed up as the crazed dude (no offence to whoever this is, but you must admit that they are some pretty awesome facial expressions!), and made me wonder who would ever approve an image like these for the "game" category anyway - or in any category really!? Something seemed odd, so I went to the image gallery to investigate a little further, and that's when I discovered that when viewed in regular size these images show up as an innocuous looking game book.

Does this book have some kind of secret power within, to create such mysteries? Or is all this just going on inside my head? Is anyone else seeing the same as what I am?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batcut wrote:
Definitely weird.

So it's not just me then, this is actually happening, and isn't just some kind of bizarre hallucination I'm experiencing in my mind - unless Aldie's found a way to make us experience simultaneous delusions!

First thing I did when I came across this was to check the date. But nope, it's not April 1st yet.

Part of me says: Please don't fix this, it's beyond awesome! What other such marvellous dark secrets lie hidden away deep within the bowels of the BGG machinery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
On an unrelated site I frequent, there's a bug where if two people upload an image at the exact same time, the server will sometimes get confused and swap the thumbnails. I suspect something similar is going on here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's hilarious. It had better be kept this way . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Preparation for this year's April Fool ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
EndersGame wrote:
So it's not just me then, this is actually happening, and isn't just some kind of bizarre hallucination I'm experiencing in my mind - unless Aldie's found a way to make us experience simultaneous delusions!

A folie à plusieurs of the folie imposée kind with that wily Walbo Wiggins as the imposeur. The Curse of the Ponies' Folly has begun. None may hide from the woe sure to befall all who sought to make Hide & Seek number one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Preparation for this year's April Fool ninja

Just. Wait. A. Moment!

The crazed dude ... could it be ... Derk?

That's Derk on the left, back in 2009. The resemblance does seem rather uncanny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a simular effect as the one where the played records in reverse and got weird texts?

Maybe this is the guy behind that...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see the bug too.

Occasionally in the past I think I've seen a possibly related bug where one size of an image is empty or doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha bizarre :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
All fled—all done, so lift me on the pyre—the Feast is over, and the lamps expire.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I see it too. Very weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot of an owl, chatter of leaves, by a spooky crossroads waits
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
I've stumbled upon the "angry bookcase" pic before, but didn't realize anything was wrong as I was trying to look at something in a private gallery, assumed I had just misclicked and moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
batcut wrote:
Definitely weird.

Nope you are not alone.Looks like Aldie is conducting some kind of psychological experiments and we are his guinea pigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
That definitely tops anything I've seen here on BGG for strangeness.

I daresay it even beats out the dancing starfish people image on Poisson d'Avril.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Wacky... and yes that's Derk - he showed up here in Dallas 2009 with that scary beard, and then shaved it 2 days later. I think that's my bookshelf in the back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also strange: when I click on the original link to the large version of the second link in the original post(430387), I get Derk, not the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paz AKA Matt Lewis
United Kingdom
Great Sutton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Finished GMing the Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder Adventure Path at Chester Games Club!
badge
Badger badger badger
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghosts in the machine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or do you also think Derk is way more intimidating than the mummy guy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
That's hilarious. It had better be kept this way . . .

Yah, please don't fix it! Too funny that way.

Some bugs should be kept...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it is fixed now. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarge in charge!
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
Why should I fret in microcosmic bonds / That chafe the spirit, and the mind repress / When through the clouds gleam beckoning beyonds / Whose shining vistas mock man's littleness?
mbmbmbmb
A skinned math nerd wrote:
Looks like it is fixed now. shake

Not for this image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After the image servers went down, the Derk ghost images seem to be gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoot of an owl, chatter of leaves, by a spooky crossroads waits
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
The image servers went down because the Derk ghost images broke out.

They're out here somewhere now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.