Miskatonic School for Girls» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anti-Elimination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Anyone thought about trying this out with an Anti-Elimination twist, that is to say that when the first player is eliminated, the game ends and the winner's the one with the most Sanity remaining, or go sudden death in the case of a tie? Just something to think about with all the Anti Anti-Elimination floating around the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Lakewood
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:
Anyone thought about trying this out with an Anti-Elimination twist, that is to say that when the first player is eliminated, the game ends and the winner's the one with the most Sanity remaining, or go sudden death in the case of a tie? Just something to think about with all the Anti Anti-Elimination floating around the board.

Good idea.

One side effect is that it would change the game from, "Beat on the winner," to, "Beat on the loser to make the game end."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I suppose, but you can always change the conditional on moving pet teachers on to the player with the highest remaining sanity. Would keep everything semi balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edwin20er wrote:
I suppose, but you can always change the conditional on moving pet teachers on to the player with the highest remaining sanity. Would keep everything semi balanced.

That's a bad option for meta-gaming purposes. With such large swings of fortune, the player who is most sane now may not be so next round, or next, or.... Better to leave it to the players to judge whom they think is playing best.

I think a non-elim variant would have to pivot on giving players some protection from card effects as their sanity depletes. Maybe each color on the track should come with protection from 1/2/3 damage. Couple that with your victory condition (ending the game once a player goes insane), and you'd have an anti-elimination variant where the underdog has a chance to crawl back from the pit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Twentier
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Really it's all speculation, so you could play it however you'd like. I think Anthony is right though, it would be the player who has the least sanity as long as you are in the best position to win, I was just using the most sanity as it is the hardest measuring stick I could find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orin Bishop
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
Edwin20er wrote:

Good idea.

One side effect is that it would change the game from, "Beat on the winner," to, "Beat on the loser to make the game end."

If I were winning I might go after the weakest (particularly if they were close to death), but if I didn't have the most sanity wouldn't my optimal strategy be to go after the player with the most?

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.