$10.00
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
Yes... I still like 'em 28 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to tackle Escape from Dol Guldur.

Player 1's deck

Aragorn, Theodred and Eowyn. Initial threat of 28.

3x Gandalf
3x Bofur
2x Faramir
2x Elfhelm
2x Longbeard Orc Slayer
3x Northern Tracker
3x Steward of Gondor
3x Celebrian's Stone
3x Hasty Stroke
3x A Test of Will
3x Ancient Mathom
3x Unexpected Courage
3x Sneak Attack
3x Valiant Sacrifice
3x Stand and Fight
3x Dwarven Tomb
2x Grim Resolve
1x Fortune or Fate
2x Ever Vigilant

Player 2's deck

Glorfindel, Legolas and Frodo Baggins. Initial threat of 28.

3x Gandalf
3x Miner of the Iron Hills
3x The Riddermark's Finest
2x Erebor Hammersmith
3x Gondorian Spearman
3x Protector of Lorien
3x Unexpected Courage
3x Fast Hitch
3x Horn of Gondor
3x Blade of Gondolin
3x Hasty Stroke
3x A Test of Will
2x Unseen Strike
3x Radagast's Cunning
2x Lore of Imladris
3x Strider's Path
2x Swift Strike
3x Feint

First player token to Player 1.

Player 1's starting hand : Hasty Stroke, Celebrian's Stone x2, Faramir, Unexpected Courage, Fortune or Fate.

*Mulligan*

Player 1's starting hand : Bofur, Sneak Attack x2, Steward of Gondor, Celebrian's Stone, Ancient Mathom.

Much better...

Player 2's starting hand : Gondorian Spearman, Swift Strike, Protector of Lorien, Fast Hitch, Lore of Imladris, Horn of Gondor.

Setup :

Enchanted Stream guarding Gandalf's Map.
Dungeon Jailor guarding Dungeon Torch.
Dol Guldur Beastmaster guarding Shadow Key.

Glorfindel is the captured hero.

"Okay" setup I guess. Of course, drawing The Necromancer's Reach during Setup would have been really nice but I'll be able to take my time dealing with the 2 enemies.

Round 1 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Longbeard Orc Slayer, Player 2 draws Radagast's Cunning.

Round 1 - Planning phase

Player 1 plays Steward of Gondor on Aragorn, activates it and plays Celebrian's Stone on Aragorn.
Player 2 plays Horn of Gondor on Legolas.

Both resource accelerators are in play, we're on. It's kind of "meh" to play Horn on Legolas since Player 2's deck doesn't have many high-cost cards but oh well...

Round 1 - Quest phase

Player 1 commits Aragorn, Theodred and Eowyn (Putting 1 resource on Aragorn and using it to ready him).

Encounter deck reveals Under the Shadow (Threat is increased by 2) and Dol Guldur Orcs (Theodred is dealt 2 damage).

Player 1 puts Bofur into play committed to the quest. Player 2 discards Radagast's Cunning to Eowyn's ability. Willpower of 12 to a threat of 9 = 3 progress tokens put on quest card.

Bofur returns to Player 1's hand, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Another crazy combo with Horn of Gondor.

Round 1 - Travel phase

Travel to Enchanted Stream.

Confident I'll explore it right away with Legolas.

Round 1 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Dol Guldur Orcs.

Round 1 - Combat phase

Aragorn blocks Dol Guldur Orcs. Shadow card is Eyes of the Forest (No effect).

Good riddance, very nasty event.

Legolas attacks and kills Dol Guldur Orcs, 2 progress tokens are put on Enchanted Stream and it is explored.

Round 1 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 30.
Player 2's Threat = 29.
First player token is passed to Player 2 (Yes I know this might be confusing).

Round 2 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Gandalf, Player 2 draws Blade of Gondolin.

Holy crap, Gandalf, what a timely and pivotal draw.

Round 2 - Planning phase

Player 1 activates Steward of Gondor and raises his threat to 32 to attach Gandalf's Map to Eowyn.
Player 2 plays Gondorian Spearman.

Round 2 - Quest phase

Player 1 commits Aragorn (1 resource to ready him) and Eowyn to the quest.

Encounter deck reveals Great Forest Web x2.

Player 1 puts Bofur into play committed to the quest. Willpower of 10 to a threat of 7 = 3 progress tokens are put on the quest card.

Bofur is returned to Player 1's hand, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Round 2 - Travel phase

Theodred and Frodo Baggins are exhausted to travel to Great Forest Web.

Why not, I can spare them.

Round 2 - Encounter phase

Player 2 engages Dol Guldur Beastmaster, Player 1 engages Dungeon Jailor.

Round 2 - Combat phase

Player 1 plays Sneak Attack, putting Gandalf into play dealing 4 damage to Dol Guldur Beastmaster.
Gondorian Spearman blocks Dol Guldur Beastmaster, dealing him 1 damage and killing it (Shadow cards were The Necromancer's Reach and Driven by Shadow).
Gandalf blocks Dungeon Jailor. Shadow card is Dol Guldur Beastmaster (No effect).
Aragorn+Legolas attack Dungeon Jailor, dealing him 3 damage.

Gandalf returns to Player 1's hand, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Round 2 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 33.
Player 2's Threat = 30.
First player token is passed to Player 1.

Round 3 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Celebrian's Stone, Player 2 draws Blade of Gondolin.

Round 3 - Planning phase

Player 1 activates Steward of Gondor, plays Ancient Mathom on Great Forest Web and Longbeard Orc Slayer (1 damage is put on Dungeon Jailor).
Player 2 plays Blade of Gondolin on Legolas.

Now I'll be able to finish off Dungeon Jailor with Spearman.

Round 3 - Quest phase

Player 1 commits Aragorn (1 resource to ready him) and Eowyn.

Encounter deck reveals Dol Guldur Orcs (2 damage dealt to Aragorn) and Iron Shackles.

90% of the time, you're happy to see Iron Shackles but now it'll prevent the card draw from Mathom.

Player 1 puts Bofur into play committed to the quest. Willpower of 10 to a threat of 4 = 2 progress tokens are put on Great Forest Web (It is explored but no cards are drawn because of Iron Shackles) and 3 progress tokens are put on the quest card. Stage 1 is over.

Bofur returns to Player 1's hand, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Round 3 - Travel phase

Theodred and Frodo Baggins are exhausted to travel to Great Forest Web.

Round 3 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Dol Guldur Orcs.

Round 3 - Combat phase

Gondorian Spearman blocks Dungeon Jailor, 1 damage is dealt to Dungeon Jailor, killing it (Shadow card was Caught in a Web).
Longbeard Orc Slayer blocks Dol Guldur Orcs, Shadow card is Tower Gate (No effect), 1 damage is dealt to Longbeard Orc Slayer.
Legolas attacks and kills Dol Guldur Orcs, 2 progress tokens are put on Great Forest Web, it is explored and 1 progress token is put on the quest card. Glordindel is freed and Nazgul of Dol Guldur is moved into the staging area.

That's why Legolas is so nice, it allows you to get rid of quest stages out of synch.

Round 3 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 34
Player 2's Threat = 31.
First player token is passed to Player 2.

Round 4 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws A Test of Will, Player 2 draws The Riddermark's Finest.

I always sleep with A Test of Will in my hand.

Round 4 - Planning phase

Player 2 plays The Riddermark's Finest and Fast Hitch on Frodo Baggins.

Round 4 - Quest phase

Player 2 commits Frodo Baggins and Glorfindel to the quest.
Player 1 commits Eowyn, Theodred (Putting 1 resource on Glorfindel) and Aragorn (1 resource to ready him).

Encounter deck reveals Ungoliant's Spawn and The Necromancer's Reach (1 damage on Eowyn, Theodred, Glorfindel and Frodo Baggins).

Well, that will certainly prolong things. I was tempted to counter both cards but resisted.

Player 1 puts Bofur into play committed to the quest. Willpower of 11 to a threat of 8 = 3 progress tokens are put on the quest card.

Bofur is returned to Player 1's hand (Legolas gets 1 resource).

Round 4 - Travel phase

Nowhere to go.

Round 4 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Ungoliant's Spawn.

Round 4 - Combat phase

Player 2 activates Glorfindel's ability to heal 1 damage on Theodred.
Player 1 plays Sneak Attack to put Gandalf into play, dealing 4 damage on Ungoliant's Spawn.

Gandalf blocks Ungoliant's Spawn. Shadow card is Mountains of Mirkwood (No effect). 1 damage is put on Gandalf.
Longbeard Orc Slayer+Aragorn+Legolas attack and kill Ungoliant's Spawn. 3 progress tokens are put on the quest card.

Gandalf is returned to Player 1's hand, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Round 4 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 35.
Player 2's Threat = 32.
First player token is passed to Player 1.

Round 5 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Fortune or Fate, Player 2 draws The Riddermark's Finest.

Round 5 - Planning phase

Player 1 activates Steward of Gondor and plays Gandalf, putting 4 damage on Nazgul of Dol Guldur.

Round 5 - Quest phase

Player 1 commits Aragorn (1 resource to ready him), Theodred (Putting 1 resource on Aragorn) and Eowyn.
Player 2 commits Glorfindel and Frodo Baggins.

Encounter deck reveals Caught in a Web (Player 1 counters it with A Test of Will) and King Spider (Player 1 exhausts Longbeard Orc Slayer and Player 2 exhausts The Riddermark's Finest)

I hate Caught in a Web with no Miner of the Iron Hills in sight.

Player 2 raises his threat by 4 (36) to attach Dungeon Torch and Shadow Key to Glorfindel.

Willpower of 14 to a threat of 7 = 7 progress tokens are put on the quest card, clearing stage 2.

Round 5 - Travel phase

Nowhere to go.

Round 5 - Encounter phase

Player 1 engages Nazgul of Dol Guldur, Player 2 engages King Spider.

Round 5 - Combat phase

Gandalf blocks Nazgul of Dol Guldur. Player 2 plays Swift Strike, dealing 2 damage to Nazgul of Dol Guldur. Shadow card is Cavern Guardian (Player 1 returns Gandalf's Map to the staging area), Nazgul of Dol Guldur ability kicks in and Longbeard Orc Slayer is discarded (Legolas gets 1 resource).

Who cares about the old wizard's map when you're out of the dungeons?

Player 2 activates Fast Hitch to ready Frodo Baggins.
Frodo Baggins blocks King Spider. Shadow card is Hummerhorns (Glorfindel, Legolas and The Riddermark's Finest are dealt 1 damage, Gondorian Spearman is killed (Legolas gets 1 resource), Frodo Baggins uses his ability to raise Player 2's threat by 1 (37)). King Spider then kills Frodo Baggins.

Well, scenario is pretty much in the bag at this point so this just basically sucks score-wise.

Aragorn+Legolas attack and kill Nazgul of Dol Guldur. 3 progress tokens are put on the quest card.
Player 2 uses Glorfindel's ability to heal 1 damage to himself.

Round 5 - Refresh phase

Player 1's Threat = 36
Player 2's Threat = 40 (2 extra from Dungeon Torch)
First player token is passed to Player 2.

Glorfindel is dealt 1 damage because of Shadow Key.
Gandalf is discarded from play, Legolas gets 1 resource.

Round 6 - Resource phase

Player 1 draws Faramir, Player 2 draws Fast Hitch.

Round 6 - Planning phase

Player 1 activates Steward of Gondor and plays Faramir.

Round 6 - Quest phase

1 card is put from the top of each player's deck in front of them (1/1/1 Orcs).

Player 2 commits Glorfindel.
Player 1 commits Aragorn (1 resource to ready him), Theodred (1 resource on Glorfindel) and Eowyn.

Encounter deck reveals Tower Gate and Dungeon Jailor.

Player 2 uses Glorfindel's ability to heal on damage from himself.

Willpower of 12 to a threat of 3 = 9 progress tokens are put on the quest card. GAME OVER!

Final score

Player 1 : Threat 36 + 5 wounds = 41.
Player 2 : Threat 40 + 2 wounds + Frodo Baggins's threat = 49.
5 complete rounds = 50.
-5 VPs

I absolutely hate being limited to 1 ally per round and losing a random hero at the start of the scenario so I'm happy this one is behind me (This was not my first time beating it but my goal is to re-run through them all and write detailed session reports like this).

Still, it's a very flavorful and tough scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt B
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for posting this. Its a lot of work to document a session! I have been attempting this scenario with 1 deck very unsuccessfully but decided I will soon try it using 2 "players." I will definitely be trying some decks similar to yours, although I unfortunately don't have as many expansions and don't have access to Frodo as a Hero or Bofur as an awesome Ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.