Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CONTEXT ninja

I am a big fan of Dixit, and I own all the expansions, Dixit Quest and Dixit Odyssey. It has been my greatest hit ever among all my gaming partners: occasional, regular, family, neighbors... Even people that said "sorry, we don't play/like games" accepted to play and loved it!

So when I heard about this game I was not sure... On one hand, I have already 84x3 cards plus all I need to play from 3-12 players in one single box. On the other, sometimes we don't have a lot of time to play, or I don't want to take it somewhere because it's too big, or there won't be enough room to lay the boards... So why not a "Pocket Dixit"?

COMPONENTS meeple

The game is very compact, 80 square cards (71+9) and a box slightly bigger than them! No score system, just the cards. And they are printed on both sides, so you get a lot of pictures, 142! The 9 cards left tell the "storyteller" which card he must describe.

So this is really a "Pocket Dixit"! You can take it and play it almost anywhere. The pictures on the cards are much more abstract than those on their "bigger systers", and this allows for a smaller size, since you don't need to look for small details.

RULES

The rules, while being different enough, give definitely a Dixit feel. Here are the differences:

1) No one has cards in hand! A square of 3x3 cards is laid down on the table.

2) The storyteller does not choose a card! He shuffles the 9 "arrow" cards and takes one.

3) Voting is not simultaneous! The fastest player goes first, and so on.

4) The player who guesses keeps the card! And ends the round, the storyteller only gets the cards that were chosen before.

So the storyteller can get N-2 points maximum (N players), if all choose wrong but the last one. If no-one guesses, no-one scores, but the storyteller has to give back one of his cards if he had any already. The price for being too vague!

There is one rule mistake, apparently, in the English rules: you don't discard all the cards that have not been gained, that would end the game too soon. The French rules say that you only discard cards when no one has guessed, and only the ones that were chosen plus the storyteller one.

HOW DOES IT PLAY

And this is how these same four differences, from 1 to 4, affect game-play:

1) You don't need to remind people that they should hide their cards! In our Dixit games there was often people not paying attention and showing some cards to others, ruining the experience.

2) The game is "pocket" but is also fast! You don't need to wait for ages for the storyteller that cannot find a clue, or the player that cannot choose which card to give...

3) Again, the game is fast! You don't have to search for small details, you have to think quickly.

4) You don't need score tokens, pads or sheet! The one with the most cards at the end of the game wins. And it is not completely clear who is the leader until the counting of the cards, which adds tension.

All these are advantages to me, IF you are looking for a pocket/fast Dixit game. The re-playability seems huge, since the 142 pictures will combine in many different ways when on the table 3x3 and, even for the same 9 cards, you probably won't have to describe the same one.

FINAL WORD thumbsup

I think that, when we will have the time and space, we will still play "Big Dixit", for a more relaxing, full of details experience. But for the right occasion, this pocket version is a very good addition that I'm happy to own. And it is very cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to check I understand this:

If someone guesses correctly, they keep the card (scoring one 'point'). The storyteller keeps all cards for incorrect guesses (scoring anywhere between 0 and n-2 where n is the number of players)

If no-one guesses correctly, then no-one scores?

At the end of the turn, all the cards that were chosen (plus the storyteller card if that one wasn't) are removed - either discarded if no-one chose correctly, or to score piles if someone did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3) Voting is not simultaneous! The fastest player goes first, and so on.

that bit bugs me seems weird? is it a reaction game?
how abstracted are the clues form the pictures now?
our normal dixit sessions are getting pretty weird!
if i play with new people i know certain cards invoke certain clues almost universally!,
when i play with a group that plays it often we've moved on another level from the card images!
I like that about the game, but these images seem quite quite abstracted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steerpike wrote:
If someone guesses correctly, they keep the card (scoring one 'point'). The storyteller keeps all cards for incorrect guesses (scoring anywhere between 0 and n-2 where n is the number of players
Yes. But once someone guesses, the turn ends. So in order to get the maximum, n-2 points, you need all other players to miss but the last one.

Steerpike wrote:
If no-one guesses correctly, then no-one scores?
I'll edit to add this bit. If no-one guesses no-one scores, but the storyteller must give back one card, if he has any. So being too vague is risky!

Steerpike wrote:
At the end of the turn, all the cards that were chosen (plus the storyteller card if that one wasn't) are removed - either discarded if no-one chose correctly, or to score piles if someone did.
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
3) Voting is not simultaneous! The fastest player goes first, and so on. that bit bugs me seems weird? is it a reaction game?
how abstracted are the clues form the pictures now?
I like that about the game, but these images seem quite quite abstracted
Yes, it is some kind of reaction game, but sometimes being too fast will give points to the storyteller. It definitely plays different than Dixit, both the reaction aspect and the abstractness of the pictures, so don't expect the same kind of game-play. I said both games are different enough, but this one "feels" like Dixit, that's all.

Indeed the (Spanish) author made this game on his own and called it "Jinx", but the French publisher of Dixit thought it would sell better if they exploited the analogy, and added "Dixit-" to the name. But in Spain the game is going to be sold as "Jinx" only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Yes, it is some kind of reaction game, but sometimes being too fast will give points to the storyteller. It definitely plays different than Dixit, both the reaction aspect and the abstractness of the pictures, so don't expect the same kind of game-play. I said both games are different enough, but this one "feels" like Dixit, that's all.

I've played it quite a few times since I wrote the review, and there are two things I wanted to add:

1) Private clues don't work! Which in my book is a very good change. When we play normal Dixit I add to the rules overview "avoid private clues", so that all players can 'play' (the few bad games we've had were with two people using them extensively). In Jinx if you use a private clue, the person who knows will immediately pick the card and you get 0 points.

2) What kind of clue does work? You need something related to your card but, if possible, applying better to at least one other card. Don't try to get a lot of points every round, usually you'll be happy getting at least 1! Points are more often collected when it is not your turn. Ah, there is only one kind of clue we don't allow: a color (too easy and not fun, I read it somewhere).

A different game, but that we have played more than normal Dixit since because it fitted best our gaming time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
liu jiang
China
GuangZhou
GuangDong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think Jinx is much worse than the original DIXIT. Because you're concluding the similarity of the pictures in the 3x3 field but not using your imagination just like in DIXIT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played with a variant: the story teller chooses the card, and uses the 'arrow' cards only to show the others which one he had chosen. We found it closer to Dixit, and we liked it.

BTW, these are the glass stones we use to pick the cards, to avoid standing with the finger on the card:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė B.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What are the size of those cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If by "those" you mean the ones I've shown above with the glass stones, they are a smaller version I made for myself (64x64mm), including some unused pictures I found on the box insert (two of them are in the picture) and laminating.

I gave the original game away as a gift, so I cannot tell you the original size, but it was bigger than that (70 something mm)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One question: Can players "pass" and not guess at all? It seems to be suggested that you can but I wasn't sure. How does this work? What if multiple players have already guessed and then some want to pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
One question: Can players "pass" and not guess at all? It seems to be suggested that you can but I wasn't sure. How does this work? What if multiple players have already guessed and then some want to pass?

There is no turn order, the fastest player guesses, then the "story teller" says "yes/no", and if "no" the next fastest player and so on. If you wait (I think that is what you mean by "pass"), then you are taking the risk that someone else finds the card before you try. But sometimes the risk pays, because the others don't find it and you have less cards to guess from.

Of course if no one wants to guess and everybody waits "forever", then the story teller could close the round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
[q="kvenosdel"]One question: Can players "pass" and not guess at all? It seems to be suggested that you can but I wasn't sure. How does this work? What if multiple players have already guessed and then some want to pass?

There is no turn order, the fastest player guesses, then the "story teller" says "yes/no", and if "no" the next fastest player and so on. If you wait (I think that is what you mean by "pass"), then you are taking the risk that someone else finds the card before you try. But sometimes the risk pays, because the others don't find it and you have less cards to guess from.

Of course if no one wants to guess and everybody waits "forever", then the story teller could clo
Yeah. Refuse to guess would be more accurate to what I meant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Could you just play this with similar rules to the regular Dixit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are printed on both sides, so the same rules would not work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, right! That makes sense. What did you think of the voting mechanism?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I said as "final word", I prefer Dixit, but this can be a good substitute. I realize now that it has been a long time since we played any Dixit game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.