Subject: Famous Quotes Associated with Wargames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I was looking at my copy of Jutland, I was reminded of one of my favorite episodes of dry British military wit. After watching the second battlecruiser under his command (HMS QUEEN MARY) catastrophically sink due to a magazine explosion on that fateful May 31st 1916, Vice Admiral Sir David Beatty turned to his Flag Captain on the bridge of HMS LION and said "There seems to something wrong with our bloody ships today, Chatfield."

What other famous historical quotes come to mind related to your Wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the War of 1812, during the Battle of Chippewa, the British troops there were engaged by US troops dressed in Gray uniforms - a color in which the Americans dressed their militia units. The British didn't expect much from a bunch of militiamen, but when they held steady and returned the British fire for more than twenty minutes, the British General Riall realized the truth and was purported to exclaim, "Those are regulars, by God!"

The British subsequently withdrew, in good order, but they did fall back. The battle marked the maturation of the US Army in 1812, and their performance there, and in the following battle at Lundy's Lane, showed that the US Army could stand against their British counterparts. I always think of this during any War of 1812 game (I designed a game of the two battles above - maybe I'll put it up PnP if I ever clean up the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Garland
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
"Those are regulars, by God!"

Just used this quote, AND this same picture, for my lecture on the war in my US Hist I survey class two days ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I came... I saw... I nibbed"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I look at Paths of Glory I recall Edward Grey's words: "The lamps are going out all over Europe. We shall not see them lit again in our time."

Also, when playing the always bloody The Civil War I recall this admission: "I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand men as a small affair, a kind of morning dash — and it may be well that we become so hardened." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Can't play Silent War without thinking of these two by Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN:

"We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds."

"When I assumed command of the Pacific Fleet in 31 December, 1941; our submarines were already operating against the enemy, the only units of the Fleet that could come to grips with the Japanese for months to come.
It was to the Submarine Force that I looked to carry the load until our great industrial activity could produce the weapons we so sorely needed to carry the war to the enemy. It is to the everlasting honor and glory of our submarine personnel that they never failed us in our days of peril."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Battle of Spotsylvania is one of the actions covered by Grant Takes Command, a game in the Great Campaigns of the American Civil War series.

In that Battle, Union General John Sedgwick was warned that he was in danger from Confederate fire. His response was unforgettable:

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...

--Winston S. Churchill

RAF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fro
United States
Buffalo
United States
flag msg tools
admin
I just want to say, God, on behalf of all of us thank you for all of the good things we do in your name, like charity and forgiveness. That’s an idea we would never come up with. That’s for sure. You know that better than anybody.
mb

"God does not play dice" - A. E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple, similarly sourced and indispensable for wargaming:

"Run away!"

and

"I'm not dead yet."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"This battle is completely lost, but it is only two o'clock, there is time to win another."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Roberts
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've always liked this one from Winston Churchill on the final victory in Nth Africa...read it with a winstonesque voice.

"This is not the end, it's not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Mainly 'attributed' during our "Ameri~Treasure" playing times with that especially: Axis & Allies; "WAR! ...gives me 'gas'!" gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that Churchill is featuring a number of times in this list, and I do rather like his comment on Admiral Jellicoe (Commander of the British fleet at Jutland) - he was..."the only man on either side who could lose the war in an afternoon".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I play D-Day at Omaha Beach, I think of COL James E. Rudder, commanding the Rangers who assaulted the cliffs at Pointe-du-Hoc, when he visited Normandy on the 10th anniversary of the invasion:

"Will you tell me how we did this? Anybody would be a fool to try this. It was crazy then, and it's crazy now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Eden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

"Run away!"

and

"I'm not dead yet."

When checking those rules:

"Consult the Book of Armaments"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
"Scratch one Flat Top!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Steel Wolves: The German Submarine Campaign Against Allied Shipping – Vol 1:

"The only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril". -- Winston Churchill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn von Knorring
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
The picture is a swedish cartoon-figure Herman Hedning. English info here: http://www.hermanhedning.com/eng/
mbmbmbmbmb
When Germany invaded the Soviet Union in June 1941, some Members of Parliament teased Churchill, who had previously been very hostile to the Soviet Union and had played a key role in Western intervention against the Bolshevists in 1919-21.

Churchill replied; "If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
wifwendell wrote:

"Run away!"

and

"I'm not dead yet."

I shall taunt you again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of Churchill quotations being thrown around, and while his mastery of the English language was exceptional, I'd say the best quotations about war are those made by William Tecumseh Sherman. This line applies to every wargame I play: "There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all Hell."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
There are a lot of Winston quotations being thrown around, and while his mastery of the English language was exceptional, I'd say the best quotations about war are those made by William Tecumseh Sherman. This line alone could easily apply to every game we play: "There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all Hell."

And from his friend US Grant... when Gen. Buckner asked for terms at Ft Donelson:

‘No other terms than unconditional and immediate surrender. I propose to move immediately upon your works.’
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hall
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wooden Ships & Iron Men

During the battle of Flameborough Head in the North Sea, the commander of the H.M.S Serapis asked for the surrender of the USS Bonhomme Richard under the command of John Paul Jones, the answer of course was, "I have not yet begun to fight".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In the hours just past midnight 5 June 1944, Eisenhower made the difficult, critical decision that only he could make whether to proceed with the invasion of Normandy. After polling his staff, and pacing outside alone, at 0330 he re-entered Southwick House and spoke these words:

"Okay; let's go."

Within 30 seconds the packed staff room was empty as the staff went off to execute the decision, and Ike was left alone with his thoughts and nothing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nothing except a battle lost can be half as melancholy as a battle won.

Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.