Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG.CON

Subject: Badge Enhancements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, CaptainQwyx wrote:
4 Wearing your badge is required while in the meeting spaces of the con, partly for the small security effect, but mostly for the "social contract" of the convention, making it easier to meet new people.


A BGG.con badge has a person's avatar (or other image), name, userid, and location. All useful stuff, but not quite enough to start a conversation over, especially for shyer people.

While I wouldn't want to crowd out the really important data, perhaps there's room for a tiny bit of further information to let people scope each other out quickly:

Would there be room for one of:
-o- Favorite game
-o- Favorite Genre
-o- A set of sliders (like the Nerd Test) for preferred weight, complexity, theme-ness, conflict, and social interaction

I'd really like to see a one-line area for a personal statement, but that would take staff time to vet the data for appropriateness; I'm trying to think of things already in the BGG database that people can just select from. (Microbadges would work, except that they are too small and many of them aren't recognizable without the mouseover.)
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Lindman
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a similar note, I was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of ribbon or visible note indicating that someone is a willing teacher. I myself am generally willing to teach any game I know (unless I'm on my way somewhere), but unless I happen to overhear a table clearly struggling with rules, I don't know to offer my assistance.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I met a lot of great people last year whose avatars I didn't recognize at all. There's a heck of a lot of lurkers out there...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Escher13 wrote:
On a similar note, I was thinking it might be nice to have some sort of ribbon or visible note indicating that someone is a willing teacher. I myself am generally willing to teach any game I know (unless I'm on my way somewhere), but unless I happen to overhear a table clearly struggling with rules, I don't know to offer my assistance.


My wife and I found the "Teacher Wanted" table signs worked well as long as teachers that were willing to teach walked through the room and approached us. And I'm not sure a teacher ribbon would help. How would we know what games you can teach? And as you said, that you're not just passing through and on the way to somewhere else.

Anyway, to you and the other people willing to teach...A BIG THANK YOU! Look for us at this year's CON and come introduce yourself...we'll be sitting at the table with the "Teacher Wanted" sign proudly displayed!!!

By the way...we highly recommend the use of both "Teacher Wanted" AND "Players Wanted" signs. We met some great people from all over the world last year!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
-o- A set of sliders (like the Nerd Test) for preferred weight

My preferred weight is less than it is now! whistle
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
In another thread, CaptainQwyx wrote:
4 Wearing your badge is required while in the meeting spaces of the con, partly for the small security effect, but mostly for the "social contract" of the convention, making it easier to meet new people.


A BGG.con badge has a person's avatar (or other image), name, userid, and location. All useful stuff, but not quite enough to start a conversation over, especially for shyer people.

While I wouldn't want to crowd out the really important data, perhaps there's room for a tiny bit of further information to let people scope each other out quickly:

Would there be room for one of:
-o- Favorite game
-o- Favorite Genre
-o- A set of sliders (like the Nerd Test) for preferred weight, complexity, theme-ness, conflict, and social interaction

I'd really like to see a one-line area for a personal statement, but that would take staff time to vet the data for appropriateness; I'm trying to think of things already in the BGG database that people can just select from. (Microbadges would work, except that they are too small and many of them aren't recognizable without the mouseover.)


I second any or all of these ideas.

I'd also like to have the avatar on both sides if possible. The badges seem to be backwards roughly half of the time.

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only request is that the person's name be displayed in an extremely clear color and font. Last year's badges were good that way. I know that I've been to cons in the past (don't recall if any were BGG.cons) that did "clever" things that "looked cool", like light-red-on-white in a Gothic font, that basically made it impossible to glance at the badge for a name reminder.

As to having avatars/names on the back too - that would be nice, but usually people have things like raffle tickets, library cards/barcodes, etc tucked in the back of the sleeve that would make it moot.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mbmbmb
I just decorate my badge with whatever extraneous information I want to add (usually an exhortation to play my game). I would, though, like to see larger avatars & user names on the badges. Meatspace names are great and necessary and all, but I'd like to be able to notice folks I know from the site more easily. I hate looking at forums on Monday morning and realizing some of my favorite posters were there with me the whole time!
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:

I'd also like to have the avatar on both sides if possible. The badges seem to be backwards roughly half of the time.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debi Florey
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my first BGG Con and I think the idea of favorite game genre would be cool!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Martindale
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about microbadges?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrinWilliams wrote:
I'd also like to have the avatar on both sides if possible. The badges seem to be backwards roughly half of the time.

Clipping the badge to the collar of your shirt works.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
DarrinWilliams wrote:
I'd also like to have the avatar on both sides if possible. The badges seem to be backwards roughly half of the time.

Clipping the badge to the collar of your shirt works.


Collar? Next Rusty is going to tell us he is wearing a tie to the con...
11 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
I would, though, like to see larger avatars & user names on the badges. Meatspace names are great and necessary and all, but I'd like to be able to notice folks I know from the site more easily.


Because I can't agree or emphasize this more strongly!!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, CaptainQwyx wrote:
4 Wearing your badge is required while in the meeting spaces of the con, partly for the small security effect, but mostly for the "social contract" of the convention, making it easier to meet new people.

The most important thing to me is that the person's first name be in the largest possible letters so it can be discerned at a distance. It's so nice to be able to look and get someone's name from their badge discreetly, without squinting, when you're playing a game together and you've forgotten.
surprise
JAZ
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a video that includes me rudely reaching over and turning someone's badge around so I can log their name in my play log. :-(
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
DarrinWilliams wrote:
I'd also like to have the avatar on both sides if possible. The badges seem to be backwards roughly half of the time.

Clipping the badge to the collar of your shirt works.


That's how I do it, but as you can see, I can't even get my wife to join me in the "Clip it to your collar" movement.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to bring a name badge magnet so I can wear the badge in a visible location.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Morganza wrote:
-o- A set of sliders (like the Nerd Test) for preferred weight

My preferred weight is less than it is now! whistle


+1 whistle
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
This almost seems a job for QR codes - but I can see how that would be weird.

- Hey lemme scan your badge!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

We just need slightly larger badges to fit all the info.


11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
This almost seems a job for QR codes - but I can see how that would be weird.

- Hey lemme scan your badge!


Problem solved...Micro-Chip Implants!!!

ninja
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
This almost seems a job for QR codes - but I can see how that would be weird.

- Hey lemme scan your badge!


Maybe Rowdy Roddy Piper can loan you his glasses - or kick your ass to make you wear them or something...

I can see the signs at the con now - "PLAY" - "HAVE FUN" - "TRADE WOOD FOR SHEEP"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
There's a video that includes me rudely reaching over and turning someone's badge around so I can log their name in my play log. :-(

Could be worse. That video could show you A) discussing your intent to assault another BGG.CON attendee, and/or B) totally failing to understand the concept of a "start player token."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Could be worse. That video could show you A) discussing your intent to assault another BGG.CON attendee, and/or B) totally failing to understand the concept of a "start player token."
"Wargames don't have those." laugh
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.