Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil Wheton is starting, on April 2, an online (youtube?)
show called Tabletop about boardgames.

I noticed Catan, Small World, and other noteable games.
Some name actors also appear, although I only
recognized Colin Ferguson, from Eureka.

Trailer is:
http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/19581451791/this-is-the-tr...
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aah, I was just going to post this! I'm looking forward to it. I like Wil Wheaton, I like gaming, and I like the idea of watching (a professionally edited video of) people gaming.

I don't know what YouTube Premium is, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i like the pro aspect of it. in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the dude from Star Trek?

Scottie, or whatever his name was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The blonde is a regular on Leverage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lol I only know him from Big Bang theory - and I didnt`t knew until now he plays his own role in BBT
And he is a real geek Yiha laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
VALIS13 wrote:
Is this the dude from Star Trek?

Scottie, or whatever his name was.

You're thinking of James Doohan. And yes, it is.

H4msterbacke wrote:
Lol I only know him from Big Bang theory - and I didnt`t knew until now he plays his own role in BBT

Haha, that's great. I'm just going to print out your post, and file it under, "Reminders That I'm Getting Old (2012)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad he doesn't participate on the site more often (he does have an account and it appears he actually logs into it now and then) - but I suppose I can see wanting to avoid as much stalker-ing as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shourd
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is so cool. Between this and Going Cardboard - people might actually hear about this little hobby of ours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
badge
8000+ Profile Views and counting!
mbmbmbmbmb
shou4577 wrote:
This is so cool. Between this and Going Cardboard - people might actually hear about this little hobby of ours.

I think the hobby is sufficiently "heard of" but what I'm guessing you mean is that it will be seen in a greater light than "a group dungeon-dwelling nerds wearing pointy wizard caps rolling d6"? I use d6 as an example because the average non-gamer isn't aware that any other style of dice are out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DAY9!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
shou4577 wrote:

I think the hobby is sufficiently "heard of" but what I'm guessing you mean is that it will be seen in a greater light than "a group dungeon-dwelling nerds wearing pointy wizard caps rolling d6"? I use d6 as an example because the average non-gamer isn't aware that any other style of dice are out there

Assuming that anyone outside the hobby even sees Wheaton's show, it's got to be good for the hobby in that he has celebrities playing. Gone Cardboard isn't really a recruitment tool. Anyone outside the hobby is just going to dismiss the gamers as eccentrics. But they WANT to be like celebrities and that's going to be more compelling to see a celebrity gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
shou4577 wrote:

This is actually Wil's stated intention with the show.

From his blog post: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2012/03/this-is-my-...

Quote:
My ulterior motive with Tabletop is to show by example how much fun it is to play boardgames. I want to show that Gamers aren't all a bunch of weirdoes who can't make eye contact when they talk to you, and that getting together for a game night is just as social and awesome as getting together to watch Sportsball, or to play poker, or for a LAN party, or whatever non-gamers do with their friends. I want to inspire people to try hobby games, and I want to remove the stigma associated with gaming and gamers.

I'm pretty sure we succeeded. By the second day of production, our crew was grabbing games out of our games library to play at lunch. All of our interns and production assistants have become complete game fanatics

Games listed in the post as being played in Season 1 include:
Settlers of Catan, The Last Night on Earth, Munchkin, Small World, and Alhambra. Pandemic is seen in the trailer.

Elder Sign was mentioned elsewhere. On Twitter, he mentioned his love for Arkham Horror, but it's too long for the show, so he went with Elder Sign to get his Cthulhu on.

Ah ha, it was on Google+, where the list also includes Dixit, Elder Sign, and Say Anything.
https://plus.google.com/108176814619778619437/posts/3QY4HWGs...

So that's 9 different games confirmed, all stuff familiar to the BGG crowd, and covering a fairly broad range of styles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
H4msterbacke wrote:

Wil must be delighted that the late 80s have faded from the public consciousness at last

Whatever happened to alt.ensign.wesley.die.die.die?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I fully expect this to be awful, I hope it is not.

They should have had the Shut Up & Sit Down guys have a show on there... Give them a few months and they could generate a ton of funny as all get "stuff" about Gateway Games that are actually good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron F.
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, as much as I'm excited to see Wil Wheaton in it, I'm far more excited about Felicia Day, star of "The Guild" and "Dr. Horrible".

She's talked a lot publicly about her obsession with computer games, but I had no idea she was a tabletop gamer also!

Second, this discussion has hit the front page of Slashdot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
eekamouse wrote:

They should have had the Shut Up & Sit Down guys have a show on there...

Who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Who?

These guys... http://www.shutupshow.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

Who?

These guys... http://www.shutupshow.com/

You said it, Joel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Fisher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! thanks for sharing. Just subscribed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Thayer
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uigrad wrote:
First off, as much as I'm excited to see Wil Wheaton in it, I'm far more excited about Felicia Day, star of "The Guild" and "Dr. Horrible".

She's talked a lot publicly about her obsession with computer games, but I had no idea she was a tabletop gamer also!

Second, this discussion has hit the front page of Slashdot!

I can't stand her. I can't even explain why. I just DO NOT LIKE her.
It's almost enough for me not to even look at this show if she's on it.

That said, I get together with 3 other guys every Thursday for Game Night where we play board/deck building/dice games. Seems like this is exactly like us except they're semi-famous people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually saw this on another forum, and immediately checked BGG.

The Guild is about to have season 5? Guess I missed season 4.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Magus And Princess wrote:
I never can tell if Will Wheaton is a jerk or if he just acts that way Either way he is funny and I look forward to this laugh

I think that Will wheaton has proven his definite awesomeness when he collated paper last year, he can't do anything wrong since then anymore*.
http://thebloggess.com/2011/03/dear-wil-wheaton/

*Even if he does set the intern on fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
I never can tell if Will Wheaton is a jerk or if he just acts that way Either way he is funny and I look forward to this laugh

I think that Will wheaton has proven his definite awesomeness when he collated paper last year, he can't do anything wrong since then anymore*.
http://thebloggess.com/2011/03/dear-wil-wheaton/

*Even if he does set the intern on fire

My wife is going to crack up knowing that someone in France is also following the Bloggess. She LOVES that blog and I have to say that the entries she's shown me have been pretty damned funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never can tell if Will Wheaton is a jerk or if he just acts that way

Wil is a straight up great guy. Genuinely nice and caring. He does the Evil Wil thing because, for anyone who knows him, it's HILARIOUS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.