flag msg tools
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2012 Registration Open!
Bixby wrote:
bcooperok wrote:
Bixby wrote:
In like Flynn!!!!

Year 5 for me and It keeps gettin BETTER EVERY year!!!

Hope you are in for beer and chili on Monday as well.

Affirmative!
Roger, roger.
We have Clearance, Clarence.
We have the Vector, Victor.

Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
Check out www.saskgames.com for gaming clubs, stores, and events in Saskatchewan.
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
Bixby wrote:
bcooperok wrote:
Bixby wrote:
In like Flynn!!!!

Affirmative!
Roger, roger.

Hey, I know this hole in the wall mexican seafood joint that has extended happy hours!

I have run out of cute Homonymistic sayings, so I will just say, Yeppers!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bixby wrote:
ikiru wrote:
Bixby wrote:
bcooperok wrote:
Bixby wrote:
In like Flynn!!!!

Affirmative!
Roger, roger.

Hey, I know this hole in the wall mexican seafood joint that has extended happy hours!

Oh god, I thought you were answering the post right above yours. I'm happy to see I was wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Who in their right mind wouldnt want to go to Dallas for a weekend of gaming, fun, and meeting new people?

People who want to keep their jobs after already getting Veterans Day off and will be getting Thanksgiving and the following day off. I can't afford to take off 3 of the 7 work days inbetween. There would be far too much backlog just before the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brown
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4689 at 10:18 am, so it would appear we've already matched last year's registration numbers in less than 18 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

Well, the library is approaching 4,000 so I think we're fine there (and yes we are taking measures to have more of the hot games as well).

As to swag - we'll see what happens. We've never promised everyone any specific level of prizes / free games, but our sponsors have always come through in the past.

I'm confident that this year won't be any different, but no one should make their decision to come to the show based on the expectation of a free game or two.

Good to hear. The more the merrier, I say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
adiamant wrote:
Bixby wrote:
ikiru wrote:
Bixby wrote:
bcooperok wrote:
Bixby wrote:
In like Flynn!!!!

Affirmative!
Roger, roger.

Oh god, I thought you were answering the post right above yours. I'm happy to see I was wrong.

Give him enough beers and he will be just as excited to be in a Turkish prison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
I'm wondering, with the size of attendance doubling, will there be enough games in the library to support the crowd? More important, will there be enough swag to go around?

Having worked in the library I have to say there's no shortage of games to play - I'd say less than 5% of the library is checked out at any given time. Now, having ONE SPECIFIC GAME you want to play and it being checked out might be a problem, but it's a con, man - get out there and try a new game.

The hot games will likely be the bottleneck, but I'm sure there will be directed effort to increase the offering there to handle the increased headcount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mark.gamer wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:
It took me three tries to get the payment through but finally I have #4632.
It'll be my first time at the con and my first visit to Texas. 8 months to learn the language...

Lesson 1

Y'all is singular

All y'all is plural

Throughout most of the South, you is singular, y'all is plural. Plano may be different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
I won this badge from Daniel Karp in a poker game.
badge
BGGCon 2014 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I think doubling the number of participants should allow for a doubling of many other things such as sponsors, stores, hot games, playing area, etc. It increases work load for organizers by more than double in many aspects though.

Not looking forward to the line to sign up for events, and I'm not sure how this can be improved. Last year it appeared that many of those that had signed up didn't show up and there were many other players who would have signed up and showed up had there been room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
King Mob wrote:
4689 at 10:18 am, so it would appear we've already matched last year's registration numbers in less than 18 hours.

Just amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexDespres wrote:
mark.gamer wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:
It'll be my first time at the con and my first visit to Texas. 8 months to learn the language...

Lesson 1

Y'all is singular

All y'all is plural

Throughout most of the South, you is singular, y'all is plural. Plano may be different?

I believe that "all y'all" is the proper plural here.

Other things to help with the language:

- All soft drinks are called 'cokes', with the exception of Dr Pepper!

- BBQ means beef, no sauce, except if you are talking ribs, then that means pork...for some reason beef ribs are not as popular.

- Do wut? - This is the standard response for someone that wasn't paying attention.

- Uh huh - When it is in response to "Thank You", it means "Your Welcome".

and my favorite...

- Fix'in - Means that you are about to do something. "I'm fix'in to play a boardgame."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexDespres wrote:
mark.gamer wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Lesson 1

Y'all is singular

All y'all is plural

y'all VS all y'all

y'all is used when addressing 1 or more people that are a subset of an entire group.

ex. - y'all are going to be on the red team

all y'all is used when addressing everyone.

ex. - all y'all are going to love Wits and Wagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Having worked in the library I have to say there's no shortage of games to play - I'd say less than 5% of the library is checked out at any given time. Now, having ONE SPECIFIC GAME you want to play and it being checked out might be a problem, but it's a con, man - get out there and try a new game.

The hot games will likely be the bottleneck, but I'm sure there will be directed effort to increase the offering there to handle the increased headcount.

There are a lot of people who come to BGG.con specifically to play new games that nobody in their group has had the opportunity to try yet. Yes, there are lots of games in the library, but with a few exceptions, I want to play either new games or games I love with unfamiliar people (or people I have history with and only see at BGG.con)

There are a lot of games in the library that never get checked out at all, and much of the time it's for a good reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donald fast
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
Roger Yim wrote:
I'm wondering, with the size of attendance doubling, will there be enough games in the library to support the crowd? More important, will there be enough swag to go around?

Further to this,
Assume there are 4 players per game
With 2,000 attendees this means (2000/4=) 500 games are out.

I see no reason to worry. It gets slightly worse with people checking out an overalp of games but this is more htan offset by those:
1)not playing at the moment (eating, sleeping, disc golf) ,
2) playing non-library games (personal games, sposnosr demos, organized contests) or
3) playing hot games which are not really included in the library.

Quote:

If they simply double up on all the hot games that likely triples the game exposure.

Of course we don't want duplicates cluttering up the library so some duplicates might have to be draw prizes that can be picked up on Sunday ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexDespres wrote:
mark.gamer wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Lesson 1
Y'all is singular
All y'all is plural

That's what I was taught on my arrival by a native Dallasite. I figure, when in Rome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
Roger Yim wrote:

Well, the library is approaching 4,000 so I think we're fine there (and yes we are taking measures to have more of the hot games as well).

As to swag - we'll see what happens. We've never promised everyone any specific level of prizes / free games, but our sponsors have always come through in the past.

I'm confident that this year won't be any different, but no one should make their decision to come to the show based on the expectation of a free game or two.

I've never seen the library particularly empty of games on my "to play" list, even at the busiest times of the weekend. There have always been at least 3 choices I've been debating over when I'm in there. It might be harder to get a seat at the Hot Games tables unless they up the numbers of those, but if the new shiny is unavailable I'm perfectly glad to grab an older classic to play (last year we played Hare & Tortoise and were the only ones to check it out of the library).

As far as the swag: it's fun and all but really, I'm there for playing the games so the other stuff is just a sideshow. Half the time the free game is something I never end up opening. If I win something (I'm not allowed to say "I never win things" anymore) it's cool and all, but I'd go even if the swag pile were empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismActionPlan.org Methyl B-12 Therapy * It saved my son *
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
[I believe that "all y'all" is the proper plural here. :)

Other things to help with the language:

- All soft drinks are called 'cokes', with the exception of Dr Pepper!

- BBQ means beef, no sauce, except if you are talking ribs, then that means pork...for some reason beef ribs are not as popular.

- Do wut? - This is the standard response for someone that wasn't paying attention.

- Uh huh - When it is in response to "Thank You", it means "Your Welcome".

and my favorite...

- Fix'in - Means that you are about to do something. "I'm fix'in to play a boardgame."

You left out:

- Tump Over - Means a combination of "Turn Over" and "Dump Out", but it implies a slowmotion type of tipping in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Omahavice wrote:
Who in their right mind wouldnt want to go to Dallas for a weekend of gaming, fun, and meeting new people?

People who want to keep their jobs after already getting Veterans Day off and will be getting Thanksgiving and the following day off. I can't afford to take off 3 of the 7 work days inbetween. There would be far too much backlog just before the holidays.

I've arrived as early as Thursday mid-day (left CA on the first flight out during a year I could take the vacation) and as late as Saturday morning (red eye out Friday night during a year I couldn't take any vacation). You don't need to take time off of work to go if you really just want to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roger Yim wrote:
I'm wondering, with the size of attendance doubling, will there be enough games in the library to support the crowd?

No worries, the library is jam packed with tons of amazing games. A larger crowd will be good, will get some of the games played instead of sitting there.

What was amazing to me last year was watching the hot games of previous years. In 2010, a bunch of the new Essen releases were set up in the hot games room, and were in use pretty much constantly. You were lucky if you could get a play in. There were games I tried to play all week long, never managed to do so, as there was never an opening.

In 2011, most of those games just sat on the library shelves, unwanted. Every time I went in to the library, there there were, still available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Swenholt
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
BBQ means beef, no sauce, except if you are talking ribs, then that means pork...for some reason beef ribs are not as popular.

We need to ensure
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb

gets out to Hard 8 while he's here to experience Texas BBQ. I'll provide the car. Are you a meat eater, Rich?

Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
Check out www.saskgames.com for gaming clubs, stores, and events in Saskatchewan.
mbmbmbmbmb

?

jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb

?

Anyone else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just registered -- this is my first time as a BGG.CON attendee. How can I go about working to schedule and sponsor a tournament? Not sure how the process works. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark.gamer wrote:
ikiru wrote:
BBQ means beef, no sauce, except if you are talking ribs, then that means pork...for some reason beef ribs are not as popular.

We need to ensure
gets out to Hard 8 while he's here to experience Texas BBQ. I'll provide the car. Are you a meat eater, Rich?

Anyone else?

Oh, oh! Pick me!! I'm from Michigan! It's practically another country!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
What was amazing to me last year was watching the hot games of previous years. In 2010, a bunch of the new Essen releases were set up in the hot games room, and were in use pretty much constantly. You were lucky if you could get a play in.[...]

In 2011, most of those games just sat on the library shelves, unwanted. Every time I went in to the library, there there were, still available.

Cult of the New strikes again.

I guess I'm jaded -- the hottest Essen games start showing up at my local gaming events within a few weeks, and many of them have worn out their welcome within a few months.

The BGG.con organizers spend thousands of dollars express-shipping games from Germany because they know that is a big part of the event's draw. If I'm going to be playing games from previous years then suddenly BGG.con is competing on a more equal footing with a ton of other conventions I could go to.

It would be cool to have a second annual con in the spring, when there isn't the pressure/lure of the hot new games, but I suspect it wouldn't get the critical mass of people either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Cooper
United States
Coppell
TX
flag msg tools
mb
Your Registration # is: 4397

4th year for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.