Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
Check out www.saskgames.com for gaming clubs, stores, and events in Saskatchewan.
mbmbmb
Re: BGG.CON 2012 Registration Open!
LennyS wrote:
OK - going to my first BGG Con...wait, let me correct that...first ever Con.

What do I need to know?

Here is a great thread that helped me a lot when I first attended. It is definitely worth a read...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/343440/tips-on-bgg-con-from-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

Woot! Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

What do I need to know?

You will be spoiled for all other conventions going forward. I took my wife to Genghis Con (a denver con) after attending BGG con. All other Conventions game rooms are a poor subsitute for BGG con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Giron
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

What do I need to know?

Nice!! You are going to have an awesome time! I'll be there again this year (my 4th BGGcon) and look forward to seeing another familiar face.

You can talk to skippen if you want, but come talk to me if you want the non-wargamer version of the con! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
discoryno wrote:
I love it, you Yankees are probably going to bring jackets and such. Last year it was 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just like summer for you guys right?
Nah. I'll just be bringing this:

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delewobmesid wrote:
LennyS wrote:

What do I need to know?

You will be spoiled for all other conventions going forward. I took my wife to Genghis Con (a denver con) after attending BGG con. All other Conventions game rooms are a poor subsitute for BGG con.

I have become very attatched to Geekway to the West (Which is coming up soon!). It is practically on the opposite end of the year as BGG Con, which is awesome.

Also, the Geekway is still all about gaming. In addition, more Essen releases have made it to the general populous, and I get a chance to play games knowing more about them.

Besides, their "Play and Win" idea is superb. For an entire table full of games, just by playing the game, you will be entered to win it!

If you are in the St. Louis area, and want a similar tasting Con, Check out Geekway. Heck, even if you aren't local, it's still a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
discoryno wrote:
I love it, you Yankees are probably going to bring jackets and such. Last year it was 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit. That's just like summer for you guys right?

last year, in the middle of the day it was in the mid to high 60's thumbsup

once the sun goes down, the wind picks up and the temperature drops

......BBBBBRRRRRR soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
discoryno wrote:
Mid 60s indeed it was...which is 'no shirt' weather for you northerners

However most of the "day" it was 40-50, which is short sleeve weather for you peeps

Please know that 90% of all criticism is based on envy, it was 85 degrees A FEW WEEKS AGO down here zombie

it was in the 70's and 80's here last week .. 30-40 degrees above normal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
discoryno wrote:

whistle

True story. My now-wife and I both went to U of Tennessee. Our sophmore year was Peyton's senior year. Shortly before Valentine's day, shortly before the NFL draft, when he was about to become filthy rich, we held him up in line at the Walgreens near campus because my wife's credit card was declined. He occupied his time looking at some cuddly music-playing bear near the checkout until we had our payment sorted out and left.

/my touch with Manning fame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
discoryno wrote:

whistle

I thought that this year, Nike was doing the NFL Jerseys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
eskmoe wrote:
LennyS wrote:

What do I need to know?

Nice!! You are going to have an awesome time! I'll be there again this year (my 4th BGGcon) and look forward to seeing another familiar face.

You can talk to skippen if you want, but come talk to me if you want the non-wargamer version of the con! laugh

Hey! I do both. You need to spread your wings. 6-player Here I Stand is loads of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there some reason why we're not being charged $85 each?

My credit card shows only $155 US charged. And while math is not my strong suit, I don't think that's $85 * 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donald fast
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

My credit card shows only $155 US charged. And while math is not my strong suit, I don't think that's $85 * 2.

Must be the exchange rate .... In our favour again.

=donald

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
________BGG.CON________ BGG@SEA BGG.CON Spring
mbmbmbmbmb

Either it's a matter of CAD vs. USD, or you already had $15 in your PayPal account that it used first? Your payment looks correct on our end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:

Either it's a matter of CAD vs. USD, or you already had $15 in your PayPal account that it used first? Your payment looks correct on our end.

US dollar to Canadian dollar is almost 1:1 right now, so that's not it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawn Young
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I sure am in favor of smaller rooms over mega-ballrooms. That way, if the RSPers get too loud in the traditional game of Tales of the Arabian Nights, the rest of the con can play in peace.

Loud TotAN Game?? I just discovered this game... someone tell me where and when, and do they have room for more players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainQwyx wrote:
or you already had $15 in your PayPal account that it used first? Your payment looks correct on our end.

Ah, that was it. No bug shorting you, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to attend for the first time. Tried once before but life got complicated and I had to cancel. My number is 5068!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin in Kansas wrote:

Unfortunately, Paypal doesn't see it that way. They use a rather excessive exchange rate.

I went in 2009 and, while it was a decent convention experience, I was hugely let down by how extremely casual the players were. I expected that all the hardcore players would attend, but instead the place was filled with people either only wanting to play the newest games off the press, or ultra-light and party games. I didn't go with intentions to get a game of Paths of Glory or something, just moderate to heavy eurogames. It was extremely difficult to even get a game of Brass going.

I registered for this year. I have a bit of a different mindset than last time, but I am still hoping to get some good and meaty games played (e.g. Le Havre, Dominant Species). I just hope there isn't some five-hour slogfest like Dungeon Lords clogging up the tables this time. Watching tables of people struggle through a new rulebook for four+ hours is painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you kidding?! I'll play Brass with you!! Heavy & meaty, that's my kind of game!

*Note to self: in the run-up to BGG.Con, be sure and revisit all the delicious meaty games to re-familiarize yourself with the rules.

OK, good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Shaw
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a many of us that would love to play the meaty games. I believe there are some geeklists that get created trying to setup these types of games. Be sure to check them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Kevin in Kansas wrote:

Unfortunately, Paypal doesn't see it that way. They use a rather excessive exchange rate.

I went in 2009 and, while it was a decent convention experience, I was hugely let down by how extremely casual the players were. I expected that all the hardcore players would attend, but instead the place was filled with people either only wanting to play the newest games off the press, or ultra-light and party games. I didn't go with intentions to get a game of Paths of Glory or something, just moderate to heavy eurogames. It was extremely difficult to even get a game of Brass going.

I registered for this year. I have a bit of a different mindset than last time, but I am still hoping to get some good and meaty games played (e.g. Le Havre, Dominant Species). I just hope there isn't some five-hour slogfest like Dungeon Lords clogging up the tables this time. Watching tables of people struggle through a new rulebook for four+ hours is painful.

I got in two games of Twilight Imperium last year, if that helps. There are heavier games but that's pretty high up on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

I went in 2009 and, while it was a decent convention experience, I was hugely let down by how extremely casual the players were. I expected that all the hardcore players would attend, but instead the place was filled with people either only wanting to play the newest games off the press, or ultra-light and party games.

Folks should set their paypal options to charge in the original currency. Then their credit card does the conversion instead of paypal, it's almost always a much better rate.

Casual gamers have always been the massive majority on BGG, so they rightfully dwarf the heavy gamers at bgg.con as well. It can be deceptive as to how much, as the heavy gamers are the visible ones on bgg, the ones posting, rating, reviewing etc. Many of the casual gamers are invisible here.

Now, there are lots of heavy gamers at bgg.con, but you've got to find them. So you need to set things up beforehand, talk to lots of people, keep an eye out for folks already playing heavy games in the ballroom and talk to them, and so on.

The other issue is that lots of folks are looking to do things at bgg.con that they can't already do at home. If they're already playing Brass and Le Havre at home, then they're less likely to play it at the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Are you kidding?! I'll play Brass with you!! Heavy & meaty, that's my kind of game!

I'll add you to geekbuddies and keep you in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
LennyS wrote:

I'll add you to geekbuddies and keep you in mind.

Daniel: come visit my con planning list in the fall. Yes, I like to play the new and shiny, but I also play 18xx and will certainly be up for at least one game of Brass with tough opponents.

Part of the problem with playing familiar heavy games at BGG.con is that you don't know the level of your opponents. At least if you get a badly mismatched table at a new game you have had the fun of learning a new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  13 , 14 , 15 , 16 , 17  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.