Subject: Observatory and Upgrade rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you use an observatory and after tapping it. Upgrade that same observatory?

I played that you cannot upgrade a tapped observatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charliechuckleberry wrote:

I played that you cannot upgrade a tapped observatory.

Our house rule is that a tapped building of any kind can be upgraded at any time, but it has to be discarded afterwards. Tap it - use it - upgrade it - discard it (don't use it again!)
buildingtrade

I must admit though that upgrading an Observatory is considered suicide in our games of SP. They are probably the most hotly sought-after buildings!
JAZ

P.S. There's nothing in the rules to prohibit upgrading a tapped building, even in the same turn (by paying for an upgrade you've held in your hand from a previous round).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
"P.S. There's nothing in the rules to prohibit upgrading a tapped building, even in the same turn"

Actually there is, in newer printings. A special sheet is included with rule clarifications, and it is specifically forbidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:
"P.S. There's nothing in the rules to prohibit upgrading a tapped building, even in the same turn"

Actually there is, in newer printings. A special sheet is included with rule clarifications, and it is specifically forbidden.

Interesting! I think we have a first-run edition, which of course doesn't have that clarifications sheet. I'll have to see if I can find it and print it out, though, bummer. yuk

JAZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing out the new printing. I am glad for that clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, you played wrong. The rules says: "Eine umgedrehte Sternwarte kann nicht ausgetauscht werden." = A used Observatory cannot used for an exchange/upgrade." See http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/fileadmin/data_archive/Regeln/S..., penultimate sentence.

Same for "Schuldturm" = "Debtor's Prision"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When is the observatory untapped? At the end of the building phase or at the beginning of the next one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you should follow the rules, which specifically tell you to turn the card over, not tap it. A card you can't see obviously can't be upgraded, since there's no visible cost any more.

Randall, it's next round.

Quote:
In each case, he turns the observatory card over and will score no points for it.

To begin the next round, he turns it face-up so it is again available for scoring or its special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Randall, it's next round.

Round? So I tap turn the Observatory over in the building phase. In the subsequent upgrade phase, I pick up a building and put it in my hand. I can't upgrade the Observatory yet. Then we slide cards down, pass the gold tokens around untap turn the Observatory face up, and now I can upgrade the Observatory during the peasant worker phase. This is surprising behavior. Not that anyone in his right mind would upgrade an observatory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In yucata.de, it untaps after the building phase. This allows you to upgrade an observatory during the philosopher phase, or later. If by some crazy circumstance, there might be a reason to upgrade an observatory. 1 in a trillion games, NOPE, I actually lost that game when I did it.

Ok, silly rule, not worth fighting over. Let the fool upgrade his/her observatory during teh philosopher or square card phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masa kari
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each round has 4 phases: 1st Workers, 2nd Buildings, 3rd Aristocrates and 4rth Upgrade Cards. After finishing the 4rth phase all players give the startplayer-tokens to the next left, turn the buildings face up, if there are turned ones and the next round starts.

Very easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Charliechuckleberry wrote:

note there was already a thread on this subject

upgrading the observatory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.