$10.00
Jordan RC
Canada
flag msg tools
I thought I would post some thoughts and pictures from my first custom project; it was also a good excuse to join the forums! Upon opening Chaos in the Old world, I was quite disappointed with the box insert, and decided to attempt to make my own.

First off I'll list the tools and materials I used:
Black foam core (approximately 4.5mm thick)
Hot glue gun / glue
Good utility knife (I used the black blades)
Metal ruler with cork back
Square
Pencil

I'd have to say the most time consuming part of the project was deciding on the design / layout and test-fitting everything. Once the design was completed everything fell in to place relatively quickly.

Keeping the old adage "Measure twice, cut once" in mind helps, but what I found even more important was "Measure twice, glue once". Cutting a new piece of foam core or modifying one that was already cut was simple enough, but gluing something incorrectly (which I did a couple of times) was much more messy and time consuming to fix.

In any case, on to the build. I started with taking the inner measurements of the box, and creating the insert tray to fit snugly within.

I decided on making reservoirs for two stacks of the larger cards (with sleeves) to accommodate the expansion which I don't have yet.

I had more than the space I needed to accommodate the small cards perpendicularly to the large cards, so I decided to make an elevated "bench" to hold the dice.

Next step was to box in the reservoirs for the small cards (with sleeves). Like the large ones, I only needed one slot but opted for two to accommodate the expansion.

At this point I was left with two compartments; one smaller and one larger. These would be used to separate the tokens and miniatures. I opted to divide the smaller compartment into two, and the larger into 9.

I notched the walls in one of the corners to accommodate the large character cards on top of the reservoir walls and blow the board when it sits on top.

The completed insert, after dividing the final compartment:

And finally, the completed box and insert with cards / pieces:

And an image with the character cards (board itself sits on top of the insert):

It's far from perfect, but definitely beats the not-so-great insert that comes with the game. I'd say total time investment was somewhere around 5 hours. Fair amount of time, but anyone with more experience could definitely cut that down. Overall I'm pleased with the outcome. Hopefully this is helpful to anyone looking to spearhead something similar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The people want the plans!

Nice job!

BTW: would the expansion fit into it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you need to get in touch with the guys at Mythbusters to see if you can borrow the vacuum-forming machine they use for dummies etc and get them mass produced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, looks like it was a fun project. - A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan RC
Canada
flag msg tools
"The people want the plans!

Nice job!

BTW: would the expansion fit into it?"

I don't own the expansion yet, but I made the insert so that it would fit the card counts that I found on BGG forums for the expansion. Any new tokens from the expansion would need to share space in one of the token compartments, which isn't the end of the world; there's lots of unused space.

I'm horrible at making and drawing plans; I don't even have a set myself. Pretty much everything was done with a ruler, square, and test-fitting pieces of foam core. I may try my hand at it sometime in the future if there's a demand for it though.

Edit: Missed the whole "Quote" function and just hit reply. Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
great project.
some of us without the game might like to see a photo of the original insert to more appreciate the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.