Popular Tags: [View All]
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Angels 20 fans,

I've had some requests in the past few days from a number of gamers wanting to use the Battle of Britain image I made for my hex mat. So I'm releasing the mat's image here on the Geek so that anyone who wants to have a printed vinyl mat made for themselves can do so.

All I ask is that you leave my "FlyXwire" logo intact that's on one corner of the mat, and that no one attempts to make money off the image by trying to sell it as their own work. This should remain an open source gift to be enjoyed by anyone in the community, and should remain free to anyone who wants to use the image to make a mat for their own gaming use. I assume no responsibility for the replication of this image.

Battle of Britian game mat image for playing Angels 20, showing an area around Dover, England featuring its famous White Cliffs. The mat image when fully printed measures 87.5 inches in length, by 57.75 inches in width. Using these overall dimensions a commercial print shop can produce on advertising banner vinyl, a game mat which will feature 5 inch size hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheet
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant, thanks for sharing this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, man! How can we download this gem?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrzej,

Click on the mat's picture above which will take you to my Gallery here at BGG where the image is located, chose the original 4375 X 2886 pixel size to view, and when it comes up right click on the image and "Save picture as" to a folder of your choice on your computer.

The stored image here at BGG is 50% reduced from the original I made, and in jpeg format as opposed to a bmp, but should render a pretty nice looking mat when printed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thanks, David! Will do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I was going to ask you about this but hadn't got around to it. Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David:

This is truly incredible - thank you so much for making it available.

I have a question - how much did the print shop that did your map charge? I was thinking about having the same place do it, as they are familiar with the job.

Regards,

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

You make a good point, and I'd recommend the print shop I use, if you so choose. They're located in the Midwest, and I usually have a mat within 3 days or less, and this normally only with regular shipping & unexpedited print processing requested.

I use Colormax Digital Printers located in Indiana:

http://www.colormaxdigital.com/

Using their "Place Order" online ordering interface, you can input the dimensions desired for the vinyl banner above, specify: 87.5 inches (wide) by 57.75 inches (high), the quantity of mats you want printed, materials desired, choose (Banners - Vinyl > Indoor Smooth Banner > No Finishing options), and then continue the ordering process by making your shipping choice, any expedited processing required, until you arrive at the billing page (have CC info ready), and finally the upload page where you can link the stored image from your computer to them.

Going through their ordering process will give you a clear idea of how much your mat will cost before you charge it. Their processing/shipping projection times gives them leeway, but in my experience it's been much shorter than the quoted days to delivery listed (I'm also in the Midwest). You'll also receive via your email, acknowledgement of your file upload, and when the banner's ready for shipping a UPS tracking number is sent.

Again as a disclaimer, you need to be exact in your wants/inputs, and as I'm not an agent for Colormax, nor responsible for any transaction someone else may contract, I don't guarantee satisfaction nor accept responsibility for anyone else's printing processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just put in an order with them for a 72x48 mat. But I think I chose the outdoor reinforced 13oz, no finish. Cost was $56.80 with shipping. The hexes will probably be a bit smaller than 5" but still within the 4-5" range which will work. I'll post the results and my level of satisfaction when it arrives.

EDIT: I'll be sure to post some images when it arrives, probably in this thread. I ordered it surface post so it will be about a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt,

If you like the results on the outdoor reinforced 13oz banner stock, that's certainly a considerable savings over the smooth indoor banner vinyl!

I'll be interested in the shine qualities, and any surface texture.

Looking forward to your impressions, and maybe you could post some pics of your mat too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David:

Just finished ordering mine - standing by the mailbox, waiting for it to get here (oh, wait - - this isn't ACME, is it?!?!)

Thanks again - your design talent is truly amazing!

Regards,

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Walt Mulder wrote:
Thanks. Just put in an order with them for a 72x48 mat. But I think I chose the outdoor reinforced 13oz, no finish. Cost was $56.80 with shipping. The hexes will probably be a bit smaller than 5" but still within the 4-5" range which will work. I'll post the results and my level of satisfaction when it arrives.
EDIT: I'll be sure to post some images when it arrives, probably in this thread. I ordered it surface post so it will be about a week or so.

72 x 48 is about 82% of 87 x 57, so I'd guess that 5 inch hexes would come out at a little over 4 inches (about 4.1 or so).
Assuming the reduction in size is consistent, that is.
So I'd think reducing it to 72 x 48 would work just fine.
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. The game hexes are 4.5 across the flats and 5" across the points. I ordered the outdoor 13oz reinforced. They were really nice and emailed me to see if I really wanted the smooth, explaining that David orders the smooth and the reinforced has a visible pattern. I stuck with the reinforced as I have some smooth mats and want to make a comparison to see if it aesthetically affects me in any way. The 4x6 mat works great on a table I have at home. Anything bigger would just hang over the sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
They were really nice and emailed me to see if I really wanted the smooth, explaining that David orders the smooth and the reinforced has a visible pattern.

Walt, thanks for relating this, because my customer service from them has been 1st-class, and I'm happy to read things like this that continues to reinforce this impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Thornock
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply Awesome!

Any chance there's a Guadalcanal version in the works?

I'm demoing this game at a Con in less than three weeks, and the mat company I'm trying to work with is incredibly slow response time (3 weeks between emails).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis, I probably won't get back to making a new mat for some time. I do know of one other forum member here who has a Malta mat in the works though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David:

My mat came in yesterday, and I've been drooling over it ever since. As soon as I finish wiping it off, I'll be running my first scenario (probably this weekend). This having a job thing really cuts into my gaming time . . .

Again, my heartfelt thanks for sharing this beatiful creation of yours. The guys at the print shop you told me about did an absolutely awesome job printing it out.

Regards,

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim,

That's fantastic, and I'm super-glad everything turned out as hoped!

Good Gamin',

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
Alright.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope to have Malta wrapped up this weekend:

Thanks to Dave for the grid grafix!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Map, Daniel. Will you allow the others to download the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lamb
United States
flag msg tools
Alright.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan, that is one sweet looking mat!!!

I was going to do some BoB missions at our upcoming game day, but hope to get "Over Malta" up and running now on this beauty instead.

Get 'er done! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My map arrived from Colormax. Incredible! I really like the 13oz outdoor map quality. The weave is barely noticeable and gives a nice ripple to both the water and the fields. It's a tough map and rolls up thin. The cost savings over the indoor version is not only significant but well worth it. I've just uploaded a few photos of it for review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Walt, and now we have a less expensive choice for the mat material!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Jenkins
United States
Murrysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely be using Colormax for all of my color mats from here on out. I'll let them know you guys are great recruiters for their biz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.