Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preamble - I played this game some 6 times before trading it off, I’m going to try and keep this short and to the point. It’s my opinion, I’m going to attempt objectivity but won’t pass everyone’s test. Also I’m not going to detail the rules if you want that watch the video reviews.

What is it? A euro game about managing an estate in Scotland in order to produce victory points. You build your estate by going round a circular track and picking up tiles. You add each new tile to your estate and use it to either generate resources or turn resources in to victory points.

How simple is it? It’s pretty simple, if you've played Alhambria, its basically a more sophisticated version of that. I’d say its complexity sits on par with Puerto Rico. If your child enjoys games with cubes and card board tiles for components and no conflict you could teach them this game.
Having said this, i don't like the rules much. Alea rules in my experience are harder work than they should be. I gave up on Louis XIIII. It may be in part the layout, im dyslexic and dont like cramped information and lots of side bars with extra text etc. But its bearable, in two reads i understood most of it and its only a few pages.

So whats good about it?
VALUE FOR MONEY! It’s cheap, it comes in small box that doesn’t take up much shelf space. Its components aren’t impressive but they are good quality (just cardboard chits a die, some meaples etc). Art work is fine. What it does deliver is strategic depth and variety at in the UK around the £20 price mark. And its so small you could keep it in the glove box of your car and play it on a coffee table (a sizeable coffee table though).

I'll admit it does have some good strategic features going for it. I'll say at this stage if it wasnt obvious that i didn't like the game much, but this is more due to me not like euros much. In one respect I prefer Glen More to most other euros ive tried. You don't commit to a strategy in the first few turns of the game. In both Puerto Rico and Navegador, and to a lesser extent Alhambria you have to commit to a strategy and fight doggedly and efficiently for it. In this game the early tiles allow you to lay the foundations for your estate, but it isn’t until the point scoring tiles come up that you can refine your strategy. I like this variability. There’s also a fair element of luck in when these tiles will come up and you may just be on the wrong position on the track to get them without sacrificing other tiles you want.
This leads on the designs second main attraction. Most euro games fail for me because they don't generate any suspense or tense decisions with in the game. You chip away at your chosen strategy for an hour or so, and it ends and you find out who’s won. This game will force you to choose between two or more things you want on a regular basis, with the knowledge that you cannot get the other one the next turn. Other euros do this a bit I suppose but it seems more focused here. Another plus is it does give you several different routes to creating victory points, a wide variety of tiles, including a swave of unique tiles, mean you can develop new strategies after your 3rd game. The simpler Alhambria plays out pretty quickly in my view.

Although i've mentioned the euro nemesis know as Die, it only simulates a vacant player in the 2 player game. The only luck in this game is the order the tiles come out in, making it comparable to many other games. There are quite a few unique tiles but you should see them as opportunities should they arise rather than necessary for your strategy.

It's short - 2 hours tops

So what so Lame?

Minor points first. Each time you pick up a tile you activate it and a few other tiles in your estate and generate new cubes and run then through you’re 'point generating engine'. From the mid game onwards, particularly in 2 or 3 player games you’re going to be doing this regularly and have a lot of tiles and resources to count through. After a while i find you stop taking the cubes out of the box and then putting them back once you've converted them into points and just do it all in your head then put the resulting VPs and cubes down on your estate. This is a problem if you’re competitive and don’t trust the other players to get it right. You can get everyone to do it slower and check things over but this will slow the game down a lot. Even without slowing it down expect to spend about 3rd of your playing time watching people finger over their estate and take cubes in and out of the box. The other Euros I’ve mentioned do a lot better job of keeping things moving. Paradoxically id say this isn’t a bad game for analysis paralysis, since the only difficult decisions you regularly make is what tile to take, the actually machine running is usually pretty linear, though occasionally a dilemma might be thrown at you.

Major point; it’s a fairly abstract game in my view and whilst in some respects it has more changes in tension than some euros it still fails to gain much sense of narrative. The mechanics of this game could be matched to the cotton industry in Yorkshire, or any other theme with resources being processed a few times. Mechanically i like the circular track you get your tiles off, but I don’t see how it matches farming in Scotland in any particular way. This game doesn’t make me feel like an estate manager let alone Scottish. The card game Lords of Scotland does a better job of the latter part of the theme. Theres little to know player interaction. In the two player game a die is used to simulate another player. You could probably solo this game with two dice. Alright other players can take tiles you want specifically to screw you, but often that’s at a trade off of losing a tile they want, or they wanted the tile you want anyway.

I've tried to get in to euro games but for me as a genre they struggle to rise above their components. Glen More for me is just about pushing cubes around your tile collection. You could very fairly say that war games and ameritrash games are just about throwing dice at bits of plastic, but for me the tension, the player interaction, the struggle of minds elevates the game. I even play abstracts i'm a big fan of Go and various forms of Chess, and again i like these games because of the clash of interlects that they create. Glen More didn’t hit this spot for me. I don’t say this to hammer euro gamers, but make a point. If you don't like euro games this game won't convert you.

If you don't know whether or not you like euros, buy it, it’s cheap, and has a good trade / resale value. And if it stays on your shelf it won’t take up much room. Its trade value is what caused it to vacate my collection so quickly.

If you are a big euro fan, definitly worth a shot.

I haven’t managed to keep this that short...

In summary; Cheap, Small, Strategic and Varied, Paste on Theme, Downtime? EURO!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
If only your clan could go to war with other clans and kill off their chieftans to steal properties! That would be epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
"They are who we thought they are!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok review, and yes if you don't like euros you won't like this euro as glen more is very euroy... If you want to try again try Brass or Agricola, both are heavier, more thematic and just plain better than glen more in my opinion.

I have to disagree that heavy euros are not clashes of intellect such as go and chess. What I don't like in those abstracts you mentioned is that to play well you have to read books, memorize moves and you also have to be able to min max big trees. There are other intellectual challenges in abstracts that I do like such as pattern recognition, high level intention reading and formulation of heuristic approaches to overwhelming problems. What I think euros do is demand more of the intellectual challenges I do appreciate and minimize the ones I don't.

Remember, a computer is the best chess player in the world, and to make it worst they are not even using an elegant heuristic algorithm but brute force.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:
This is a problem if you’re competitive and don’t trust the other players to get it right

So you are saying that if your gaming group would cheat less you would enjoy it more? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris1nd wrote:
"They are who we thought they are!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_N1OjGhIFc

Ha!!!!!

As a Bears fan that makes me smile :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Glen More succeeds brilliantly at being what it is: a medium weight, tense little euro with an elegant produce-consume engine.

That said, as you point out - it will not appeal to non-euro game fans, however it certainly has the potential to make people fans of euro games - as evidenced by some friends of my husband's we introduced it to a while back.... they then insisted on playing the game about ten more times over the course of a few days laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Joel; not necessarily. I'm just making an observation about the game. I never felt into the game enough to be fussed about this, or played with people that weren't sporting for that matter. But im trying to be reasonably thorough. Its quite possible someone would simply be making errors of calculation rather than deliberately cheating. My point is the fact that you've got this extra little solo puzzle to solve each turn slows the game down and makes it feel more isolating to play.

I would like to try both Brass and Agricola but im not going to buy them to find out, so it might take a while since most folks i know don't buy in many euros.

I agree that Go and Chess do require study and this is a detraction from them. Euros can be similar though if you play against folks that are good enough, in the sense that you will have to put some effort into working out how they constantly win. It just maynot be quite indepth enough to warrant a book.

And for the record i do like some euros, just not the engine building ones thus far. I think High Frontier, Colonial Europes Empires over Seas, and Discworld are awesome games. But they all have high player interaction and are very theme focused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:

It's short - 2 hours tops

We have a different definition of "short", but this game is usually even shorter than that, any way. To me, anything longer than two hours is "long" and "short" would be less than ONE hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:
In one respect I prefer Glen More to most other euros ive tried. You don't commit to a strategy in the first few turns of the game.

I agree. I think this is one of the reasons Glen More is one of the best Euros to come out in the past few years.

Quote:
Most euro games fail for me because they don't generate any suspense or tense decisions with in the game.

You are playing the wrong Eurogames. If you don't see the suspense in Settlers, Tigris and Euphrates, El Grande or Taj Mahal then, yes, Eurogames are not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got T&E in a trade a few weeks ago, only played once so far, but its a completely different type of game to the resource management style games of Glen Mores ilk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeofChutney wrote:
i got T&E in a trade a few weeks ago, only played once so far, but its a completely different type of game to the resource management style games of Glen Mores ilk

Tigris definitely has the confrontation and tense moments you are looking for, especially when you decide to build a monument and try to ward off all the attacks that are soon and sure to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.