mbmbmbmb
The other games we've got that my wife likes to play:

Lost Cities (the card game)
Clans
Tobago
Cartagena
Carcassonne
Thurn and Taxis

(and I've realised that I've miscounted!)

Cheers

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:
Hand size limit? surprise

Remove flood cards? wow

WHAT GAME HAVE WE BEEN PLAYING?!?!?! shake

Whatever it is, let's go talk about how easy it is online! Wait...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCaw
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ClementXVII wrote:
casualgod wrote:
When people call this game easy, I usually ask them if they are removing the Flood cards when the corresponding Tiles are removed.

W.. W... What?

So this game, which I thought was a family-friendly Pandemic (i.e. easy enough for us to ramp-up the difficulty levels with my 5 and 7-yo) actually became a lot harder!

But on seeing most of the posts here, it seems I'm not the only one.

My thinking is that if your kids are playing it, and they are learning gaming skills (decision making / how to win, how to lose / etc) then it can't be a bad thing that you play slightly different rules. As I mentioned in my OP - playing it this way has got my wife into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
When people call this game easy, I usually ask them if they are removing the Flood cards when the corresponding Tiles are removed. So far, in every case, they weren't removing the cards. To date none of them have gotten back to me to let me know the game is still easy.

And that would be because it isn't.

I don't find the game too easy; I like how the island accelerated when sinking. It's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised so many people have been playing incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helicopter card is awesome???

Wait...

K, I havent been using it but to escape the island. maybe this will even things out with the removal of the flooded cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCaw
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Makes you wonder how many other games are played with the incorrect rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNZde wrote:

Me when playing Caylus at a Con:

Ok lets see. Everyone has passed, so it costs me 4 Gold to play a worker. Oh wait, I place a worker in my own building so I only pay 1 gold.

Random Convention Opponent: Wait, you cant pay 1 gold, you have to pay 4. We all passed.

Me: No, it only costs 1 gold to place workers in your own buildings.

RCO: Oh, damn. I never played it that way.

This has happened more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNZde wrote:

One of the great boons of online and computer board games is that they force you to play by the correct rules. For instance I learned a lot about the buildings in Le Havre (a large number of which I played incorrectly!) from the java version on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCaw
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
UPDATE!

We played the game with the right rules last night, and still won. My wife was the Messenger and I was the Pilot. It got very close at the end, and we both felt the gane played better, was more interesting and more enjoyable.

We played from the novice level, and have agreed that each win we have we will move the marker up one, with the second loss in a row on each level we will move the level down one.

If we didn't have the pilot in this game I think we might have lost, the way the island started flooding created a gap between two sections, and we were able to get round this with the pilot.

Thanks

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeNZde wrote:
UPDATE!

We played the game with the right rules last night, and still won. My wife was the Messenger and I was the Pilot. It got very close at the end, and we both felt the gane played better, was more interesting and more enjoyable.

We played from the novice level, and have agreed that each win we have we will move the marker up one, with the second loss in a row on each level we will move the level down one.

If we didn't have the pilot in this game I think we might have lost, the way the island started flooding created a gap between two sections, and we were able to get round this with the pilot.

Thanks

Mike

FYI, messenger/pilot is one of the most powerful, if not the best, two player combos.

Try diver/navigator for your next game. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McCaw
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another game last night - we lost.

We had the explorer and engineer. The last turn we each had the cards required to collect the last two treasures but with only 8 tiles and the flood counter sitting on 5 we had to make some tough calls.

A flood card comes up, and with only 1 sandbag card we had to make a call about rescuing Cave of Embers or Temple of the Sun, then taking a risk that the other wouldn't come up. We picked wrong - Cave of Embers came up, sunk and we lost.

Started off at the Normal level.

So close, yet so far.

Cheers

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this for the first time last night. Being macho veteran gamers we eschewed "novice" and went for normal difficulty. First game we were getting the hang of the rules and dies when Fool's Landing sank.

For the second game we sure we had more idea of the strategy. Fool's Landing was one of the initially flooded tiles, but hey there's no need to panic, right? The first player drew a Waters Rise card, we shuffled the six flood cards, put them on top of the deck and drew... Fool's Landing. Shortest game ever?

Third time we won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game last night (wife and I) was, I thought really very easy. We were playing as Navigator and Explorer. We were removing flood cards with tiles, and playing with a five card hand limit. It still seemed a lot simpler and easier than pandemic. The only thing we might have misplayed was the navigator moving the explorer diagonally.
I was also a bit confused as to the need for a helicopter card to escape the island, as we ended up both stood on Fool's Landing, and taking no actions (except shoring up the Landing whenever it flooded), waiting for an air lift card to come through the deck into someone's hand.
There also seems to be a lot less long-distance strategy than in Pandemic, with far fewer moments of realising of not knowing which of the two equally viable options is the right one... it just seems to be do you have a set of treasure cards? If no, move to/next to flooded tile, shore up, collect treasures cards; if 'yes' move to relevant space and collect treasure.
Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jelly fish
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gmaal wrote:
I was also a bit confused as to the need for a helicopter card to escape the island, as we ended up both stood on Fool's Landing, and taking no actions (except shoring up the Landing whenever it flooded), waiting for an air lift card to come through the deck into someone's hand.

That seems strange. Why weren't you trying to shore up the rest of the island while waiting?

Gmaal wrote:
There also seems to be a lot less long-distance strategy than in Pandemic, with far fewer moments of realising of not knowing which of the two equally viable options is the right one... it just seems to be do you have a set of treasure cards? If no, move to/next to flooded tile, shore up, collect treasures cards; if 'yes' move to relevant space and collect treasure.
Am I missing something?

I can not tell you how many times I followed this exact strategy and lost. I always feel like if I have the treasure cards, I should waste a whole turn going to get the treasure and not bother shoring up even tiles that would cause us to lose the game if they were to sink. And then of course they sink.

Also you played one game. Did you play on the easiest setting? You found it too easy? Why not try playing on the hardest setting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There didn't seem any point in shoring up the rest of the island - the only tile we needed was Fool's Landing to escape from... we had all the treasures, so didn't matter if the temples etc. sank, and we were both there, so didn't need to maintain any exit routes. Unless I'm missing some losing trigger?

I did wonder about the difficulty setting (we were playing on novice), but the water level had only risen by 4 by the time we'd made it to Fool's landing waiting for the helicopter - so I'm unconvinced it would make that much difference starting higher - by the time any parts of the island were sinking, we would have been done with them? We will, however, try again and see.

I was just wondering if I'd missed some other obvious rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, just played through on legendary, as messenger and diver. We still won, though it was slightly tighter - the water did get up to the penultimate level - three more turns would have had us. Used special abilities very rarely - diver, in fact, only on the last turn to swim back to Fool's Landing.
We might just be getting lucky with board and cards, but if that's the case I'm a little bit sad - I'm not a big fan of luck!
We do, however, both still enjoy the game - and love the mood/art/appearance. I really want to like it just a little bit more - ironic that I need to lose to do so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you shuffling the already-revealed flood cards back onto the top of the flood deck when you get a Waters Rise?

Drawing 3,4,5 flood cards as per the current flood level?

Only giving someone cards when you're on the same square? Each card given counts as one of your three actions. Messenger can give cards to another player without being on the same square. Trading during a turn is one way - you can only give cards, and the receiver is forced to discard down to their 5 card hand limit.

As soon as you're forced to dicard the second of one kind of treasure card, you're forced to wait around until you've reshuffled the treasure deck - and then the Waters Rise cards are back in play.

The trouble with letting tiles sink is that it accelerates the flooding. When you've only got three tiles left and you need to draw four cards, there's a very real chance that Fool's Landing will flood twice and you can't do anything about it (unless you're lucky and are holding two Sandbag cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response. Yes to all those! Looks like we are playing by the rules.

I see your point on keeping some island shored-up - it didn't occur to us on the first game as nowhere near enough tiles had sunk for it to be a worry. On the second game we were a bit more careful about keeping some (useless) island above water for just that reason.

I guess it does, in the end, come down to how the tiles fall at the beginning (i.e. distance between temples/fool's landing etc), and the order cards come up. Possibly a bit too much 'luck' for my liking, I don't like losing for reasons you have no control over...

However, it is still a beautiful game, and if you were on a sinking island, you wouldn't have a lot of control over the rate, so I'll award some points for atmosphere! And - more importantly - my wife likes it and will play with me!

I think we might have to try some island variants, and certainly it will stand as route in for less experienced gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have found the solution - play with 4 people and not 2! The game came alive, and turned into the gem we had hoped it would be. Much more tense, much more challenging, much more satisfying - and still beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jellyfish1 wrote:
Gmaal wrote:

That seems strange. Why weren't you trying to shore up the rest of the island while waiting?

The same thing happened to me in my first game. I had to airlift over to an isolated Fool's Landing with my only helicopter card. With no sandbags or diver, I couldn't shore up. Made for an exciting last few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.