Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Potential to be very very good, but thoughts on balance and theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a sucker for variable player power games and games with seeming infinite replayability due to some form of random set-up or deck building. Some of my favorite games are Small World and Summoner Wars. Smash-up sounds like something right up my alley. Pairing up different fun personalities/races and trying to best use them is very similar to Small World (in terms of feel/concept but of course not in mechanics).

That being said, games like these have the tendency to create either wild imbalances due to some really powerful pairings. There are ways to work around this, Summoner Wars did it through rigorous playtesting and a game system that seems very easy to tweak and balance yet lends to factions that play differently. Small World implements a "pay-to-skip" mechanism in order to make weak pairings more lucrative, while more powerful pairings less viable the farther they are down the stack.

The thing with a balancing mechanism or any mechanism in particular is sometimes it can kill the theme. An example of such a game for me is Nightfall, an AEG release nonetheless. I cannot for the life of me get past the mechanics to see that I have a warring zombies, werewolves and humans. It just felt like chaining colors and disrupting chains. Smash-up sounds like the kind of game where it NEEDS the theme to shine through.

That being said, I'm hoping AEG was able to find the secret formula between a balancing mechanism and fun themey gameplay. I hope that the theme of playing dinosaurs or ninjas.. or DINO-NINJAS.. really do shine through rather than it feel like a mishmash of mechanics that feel pasted on.

Sorry just very excited about this game so I wanted to share my thoughts haha. Can't wait to learn more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited that people are concerned already!

Well, with regards to theme, the theme is expressed most intensely through the mechanics. For instance, almost every zombie card deals with moving cards to or from the discard pile. Almost every dinosaur card has huge power, increases power, or punishes those of less power.

Now not EVERY card in any faction is always exactly that focus. THere are some zombie cards that do things other than affecting the discard pile, but we felt each faction needs to diverge on a few cards, to keep things interesting. I mean, if Ninja were the ONLY group that had any kill effects, that wouldn't be terribly exciting. Ninja may have more, but pirates have a decent number what with their cannons and swashbuckling, though their primary focus is on movement to and from bases (often in surprising ways for your opponent).

Is there a "plot"? Oh heck no. They're just all together to mess up some cities/bases. Believe me, any attempt to explain how pirates, zombies, aliens, gnomes, and dinosaurs with laser beams came together would be fraught with more nonsense than the concept itself has naturally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how many expansions are planned for this. Don't get me wrong, I love expansions, I am hoping for expansions, I buy games because they have expansions. So how many expansions are lined up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
So how many expansions are planned for this. Don't get me wrong, I love expansions, I am hoping for expansions, I buy games because they have expansions. So how many expansions are lined up?

I "agree". Looks to me like it would easily expand because of the modularity of the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is indeed easy to expand, and one of the things we did for fun right when we started developing the game with Paul was to have every single employee at AEG create their own faction. Any theme, any mechanics. There were some that were... wacky. And there were some that were quite good and will probably appear in the future.

How many expansions? Honestly I don't have an answer there. We've got some interesting ideas, but we're mainly concerned with putting the best foot forward with the base game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for a Cowboy faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:

It has been discussed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Graeff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, if the games for 4 players then that means there are 8 different factions in the base set? Zombies, Dinosaurs, Ninjas, Aliens, Wizards and Pirates would be 6 - what are the last 2? Is one of them Gnomes ? Or will we see some fun L5R peeps popping up fighting with some Thunderstone monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you ought to look more closely at the cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edbolme wrote:
I'd say you ought to look more closely at the cover.

Is that an imp or a goblin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
I'm excited that people are concerned already!

Well, with regards to theme, the theme is expressed most intensely through the mechanics. For instance, almost every zombie card deals with moving cards to or from the discard pile. Almost every dinosaur card has huge power, increases power, or punishes those of less power.

Now not EVERY card in any faction is always exactly that focus. THere are some zombie cards that do things other than affecting the discard pile, but we felt each faction needs to diverge on a few cards, to keep things interesting. I mean, if Ninja were the ONLY group that had any kill effects, that wouldn't be terribly exciting. Ninja may have more, but pirates have a decent number what with their cannons and swashbuckling, though their primary focus is on movement to and from bases (often in surprising ways for your opponent).

Is there a "plot"? Oh heck no. They're just all together to mess up some cities/bases. Believe me, any attempt to explain how pirates, zombies, aliens, gnomes, and dinosaurs with laser beams came together would be fraught with more nonsense than the concept itself has naturally!

Excellent reply Todd! I did feel that factions will be represent a certain mechanic, which IS a staple in variable faction games.

Yeah agree that a plot is not as important. Rather it's just the feel that you really have warring dinos, ninjas, pirates, etc.

Can't you release this game already? Haha. Good luck! Hope it's another smashing success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Lakewood
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
Hockey Mask wrote:

It has been discussed.

Goth Kids

Lawyers

Grannies (I want to see Grannies fighting Dinosaurs. We'll see who's more ancient, now!)

Kung Fu Champions

The potential is really endless, here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Quick

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
It is indeed easy to expand, and one of the things we did for fun right when we started developing the game with Paul was to have every single employee at AEG create their own faction. Any theme, any mechanics. There were some that were... wacky. And there were some that were quite good and will probably appear in the future.

One of my contributions was Suffragettes -- a faction that demanded that you put things to a vote. Not clear whether Todd thought of that one as wacky or quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragkin wrote:
So, if the games for 4 players then that means there are 8 different factions in the base set? Zombies, Dinosaurs, Ninjas, Aliens, Wizards and Pirates would be 6 - what are the last 2? Is one of them Gnomes ? Or will we see some fun L5R peeps popping up fighting with some Thunderstone monsters?

You forgot Robots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kali Fitzgerald
United States
Black Earth
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jefftyjeffjeff wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

One of my contributions was Suffragettes -- a faction that demanded that you put things to a vote. Not clear whether Todd thought of that one as wacky or quite good.

That could be a slippery slope. Next there will be politicians whose main purpose is to sway votes (or worse).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Martín
Spain
flag msg tools
Jefftyjeffjeff wrote:
AEGTodd wrote:

Will its base be a Sufragette city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Rokugan is a base, right? Cause I'm totally ready to unload on lazersauruses with my Crabzerkers and Tattoed Monks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdul Rahman Ibrahim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Must... have... this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tater Salad
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjlykowski wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:
I'm a sucker for variable player power games and games with seeming infinite replayability...

Me too! I don't know if you're a sci-fi nut like myself, but if you like replayability you should check out my game Nova Cry--it's gonna be on kickstarter in just a few weeks!

At the beginning of the game, each player chooses 1 captain (from 15), 1 ship (from 15), 3 crew members (from 12), and 1 personal weapon (from 7), so there's tons of customization right from the get-go!

So...yeah...you can definitely play this game more than twice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thiago maia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
beautiful artwork, I was thinking to buy the call of cthulhu LCG, but now I will wait for this game to see if is good and balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Krassner
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
i see area control listed as a mechanism... Maps and figs would add extra awesomeness to a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warpspawngames wrote:
i see area control listed as a mechanism... Maps and figs would add extra awesomeness to a great idea.

It's area control in an odd way. Controlling the bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
Fayetteville
Tennessee (TN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sjlykowski wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:
I'm a sucker for variable player power games and games with seeming infinite replayability...

Me too! I don't know if you're a sci-fi nut like myself, but if you like replayability you should check out my game Nova Cry--it's gonna be on kickstarter in just a few weeks!

At the beginning of the game, each player chooses 1 captain (from 15), 1 ship (from 15), 3 crew members (from 12), and 1 personal weapon (from 7), so there's tons of customization right from the get-go!

So...yeah...you can definitely play this game more than twice!

...are there commercial breaks in the middle of unrelated game threads now? Can I DVR this shit and fast forward later?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmycrackcorn anidontcare
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I count at least 9 different factions on the box cover, more if the man in the black cloak/hat with the staff/book isn't a wizard or zombie.
1. Robot (2 showing)
2. Dinosaurs (T-rex and Trogs in the air)
3. Wizard (1 maybe 2)
4. Bat-winged gremlin thingie (between pirate and large robot)
5. Pirate
6. Ninja
7. Gnome (or Dwarf?)
8. Big bald-headed wrestler dude (zombie?)
9. Alien
10. ?? Depends on that the character about to strike the pirate is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Epic PvP on Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only 8 factions. Some do have more than 1 rep on the cover.

For instance the gnome and the gremlin both come from the same faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.