Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Jeanius
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordhsire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anybody use the trade option in this expansion?

Just seems little point - but maybe I'm playing it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the ONLY way we play. Good trading helps both parties.

How many players do you usually play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 4 sticks (10) and 1 pot (3) {value 13}

You have 2 pots (9) and 2 sticks (3) {value 12}

I trades you 1 pot for 2 sticks.

Now I have 6 sticks (21) and you have 3 pots (18)

We've both benefited - I can buy that $20 item tech I want and you're in position to probably do the same on your turn.

Win-Win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JMCEE wrote:
does anybody use the trade option in this expansion?

Just seems little point - but maybe I'm playing it wrong!
Rules-wise, it implies that with the exp, you use trading. However, it doesn't seem to state that it's required.

The one benefit to NOT trading is trading will typically double the play time. Plus, some folks like to roll simultaneously to speed up gameplay, which I don't think can work if you integrate trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
I have 4 sticks (10) and 1 pot (3) {value 13}

You have 2 pots (9) and 2 sticks (3) {value 12}

I trades you 1 pot for 2 sticks.

Now I have 6 sticks (21) and you have 3 pots (18)

We've both benefited - I can buy that $20 item tech I want and you're in position to probably do the same on your turn.

Win-Win

This example is a good one of why trading can be win:win. But it also lengthens the game and, in combo with the Late Bronze ships, just seems like too much mechanistically for upweighting and imbalancing the competition for higher cost DVs. I eliminated both mechanisms for my Iron Age expansion - that may yet be published in an official expansion - instead favoring a goal for tighter competitive balancing and new DV victory ladders built around the core dice-rolling mechanism.

But that is my taste. The Late Bronze sheet has its attractiveness of fun, too, in the Ships, but trading as a mechanism doesn't really work the charm for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still want to see the Iron Age expansion. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Jeanius
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordhsire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Win-Win

I understand that trading may be beneficial, but we never seem to have anyone to trade with, because they use all their resources straight away, or they only have the first peg and don't have enough to trade away.

Maybe it is because you can see exactly what they have so you can work out trades that doesn't seem to work, because the people I played with never wanted to obviously help anyone out that much (we're all in it to win) where as maybe if it was blind trading it might make a difference?

Jean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.