Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Gold is a reworking of Giganten. It's good fun and scales well with the modular board. Auctions + some luck elements and bluffing. Decent deal, too. Saves a few bucks over other OLGSs and Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Gold is terrific. I reviewed it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Black Gold is a reworking of Giganten

I tried researching this when I saw tanga's email this morning and I was unable to find out what exactly is different between this and the original edition... I heard components are different and some reference to the new edition supporting 5 players vs. 4?

I have Giganten so wondering if any reason to also get and own the new edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
remus wrote:
Black Gold is a reworking of Giganten

I tried researching this when I saw tanga's email this morning and I was unable to find out what exactly is different between this and the original edition... I heard components are different and some reference to the new edition supporting 5 players vs. 4?

I have Giganten so wondering if any reason to also get and own the new edition?

I never played Giganten, but I heard the gameplay is pretty much the same. Black Gold has a modular board set up, so it scales 2 - 5 players. Fantasy Flight components. Unless you feel the need to play this game with 5 players, I don't think it makes sense to get this if you already have Giganten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Giganten, but I highly recommend Black Gold. I'd jump on this offer if I didn't just drop a ton of money on board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Black Gold is terrific. I reviewed it here.

Great review, thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How cut throat is this game? Aka backwards moving the other players engines? From the few reviews it would seem this isn't as bad as it was in Giganten?
I see some say there is a bit of randomness, I don't mind a little randomness, but does moving your opponents engines back dominate/spoil the game? Do you feel like you are being screwed over all the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone compare Black Gold to McMulti (aka Crude: The Oil Game)? Especially comments on how the market/economics engine works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
How cut throat is this game? Aka backwards moving the other players engines? From the few reviews it would seem this isn't as bad as it was in Giganten?
I see some say there is a bit of randomness, I don't mind a little randomness, but does moving your opponents engines back dominate/spoil the game? Do you feel like you are being screwed over all the time?

Black Gold does have the cards that move everyone elses trains backwards. Personally, this doesn't ruin the game for me. At most, one of those cards will come out in a round becuase this action is only on the red action cards. Not sure how many of them are in the game, but I think it's 3 or 4 cards with that ability. If they come up early in the game, it's not such a big deal because train movement is only 1 movement point. Towards the end of the game is where it can really screw people over since the train movement costs 3 movement points.

How powerful that card is not only depends on how early or late in the game you are, but what other cards are there for the choosing the round it comes out. Sometimes I've seen people screw themselves by taking that card and giving up better abilities; or all the other cards had so many movement points on them that the backwards train movement ended up being kind of moot. Also, it's possible you may not see all 3 or 4 of those cards in a game. Maybe it only comes out once or twice. So, no, it doesn't ruin the game at all. It offers tough choices when it's on the table, and that's a good thing IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:

It's one of those games where you'll probably be too busy prioritizing the short amount of time you have on your turns to do profitable things for yourself. Of course, there's always -those- players who will make a point to throw a wrench in your gears, even if it's not the best course of action. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RhodesN7 wrote:
danamark wrote:

It's one of those games where you'll probably be too busy prioritizing the short amount of time you have on your turns to do profitable things for yourself. Of course, there's always -those- players who will make a point to throw a wrench in your gears, even if it's not the best course of action. whistle

I see that you too have played games with my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
I see that you too have played games with my wife.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.