Subject: Silverton, 1830 and the Colorado Midland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over in another forum If you could merge 2 games to 1, which should it be? the OP was asking about which two games we'd like to see combined. I answered, Silverton for the railroading theme and mining action, and 1830: Railways & Robber Barons for the backstabbing stock market action.

In the real world of Colorado Railroading the railroads were usually owned by partnerships. The men who invested in the railroads also typically invested in mines, toll roads, saloons, any number of businesses, with the success of each business often at least partially dependent on the success of another. Classic case would be the mine owner who invests in a railroad that will get at least some of it's traffic from his mine.

A really interesting case is that of the Colorado Midland RR and the Busk-Ivanhoe tunnel. The railroad build a spectacular track (The Highline) over the mountains to reach Leadville, but it was a very expensive section to maintain and operate on. One of the minority owners of the CO Midland then formed a new company to build a tunnel that the railroad leased and thereby saved itself the extra expense of the highline.

Of course the Tunnel Company charged the railroad just slightly less than the operating cost of the bypassed highline, so in effect the Tunnel Company was making most of the profit and the railroad gained only a little from leasing the tunnel.

What's interesting from a gaming perspective is that while all investors in the railroad benefited, they benefited only in proportion to their shares. So for Busk, with a minority share in the railroad, he gained very little on that side of the transaction, but as fifty percent owner of the tunnel he made out like a bandit on that side of the agreement..

So you have a win-win for everybody, but some investors are winning a LOT more than others. In the real world, you'd probably do it, in a boardgame the relative standings matter and some players would probably rather diminish their own profits than let somebody else profit even more. A (potentially) fascinating dilema that could come up in a combined game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
England
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullfrog Goldfield This sounds like the game that you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Link
United States
Snowmass Village
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Silverton is a great game. Please, if the concept is ever implemented, post it as a variant for Silverton here on BGG!

PS Bullfrog Goldfield was created by an excellent game designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullfrog Goldfield is great! Thanks Simon, I've been wondering who it was who gave me that recommendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
What you describe is what a railroading game would look like, if Phil Eklund designed it. Consider Silverton mating with Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), and having a baby. (Actually, Lords of the Sierra Madre may be exactly what you're looking for.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
simon craddock wrote:
Bullfrog Goldfield This sounds like the game that you want. :D

That's precisely why I jumped to get it.
The OP expressed a desire I've had for many years,
and BG looked like it incorporated it all (albeit in a shorter format).

Unfortunately, it doesn't play at the same level as either.
It's not the length which is the issue, but a predominance of luck -
especially at the end. Luck has more influence than in Silverton,
and the game doesn't have the rich story which comes with the
length.

Sad to say, the eurodesign principles which made it such a short game
also make it more difficult to tinker with, I think.

DarrellKH wrote:
What you describe is what a railroading game would look like, if Phil Eklund designed it. Consider Silverton mating with Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), and having a baby. (Actually, Lords of the Sierra Madre may be exactly what you're looking for.)

Wonderful game, but the military aspects (and the manner in which they
play out) may be dissuasive to many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.