Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Global Game Jam is an event where video gamers across the globe gather in teams to create a game within 48 hours. This year, in 242 locations worldwide, 10,684 individuals participated and 2,209 game projects were created. I find this amazing!

The link for the main page is http://globalgamejam.org/

Inspired by this annual event, I am going to organize the first Global Board Game Design Jam. I am encouraging board game designers to create teams of interested individuals to participate in this event. I know similar local and regional events take place but I would like to take this to the next level.

So far, there are two teams (in only a couple of days). The team I am putting together in Kamloops, British Columbia and a team from Montreal, Quebec. I hope to persuade a group in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia and a group in Arizona to come on board.

Some of you may think the idea as impossible or ridiculous but I believe that from a simple idea incredible things can happen!

I have an initial website up and running and if this things grows as I hope then a more effective website will be created.

The event will take place sometime in September or early October of this year. If there are only two teams it will still happen but I believe there will be many more.

The group I am putting together will consist of Video Game Design Teachers, Design Students, Graphic Artists, Writers, Board Game Designers and Board Game Hobbyists. I will be contacting the local university to see if they are interested in partnering with us. Depending on the numbers that our group have, we will split into smaller groups for the game design challenge. Groups are only bound by their creativity and energy.

For more details check out http://boardgamedesignjam.wordpress.com/ or geekmail me.

Thanks,
Clive Lovett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
what a neat event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Pullman
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spoken to Clive at some length about this, and am confirming that there will be a Palouse group in this event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Mercer is going to want to hear about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't even aware that there was a Global Game Jam, so I looked it up:
Quote:
Overview

The Global Game Jam (GGJ) is the world's largest game jam event. A project of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA), it occurs annually in late January, and brings together thousands of game enthusiasts, participating in hundreds of local jams around the world. Attendance at each site might be anywhere from 1-300, though is typically 5-25 people, usually students, though many professional game developers and other interested hobbyists attend as well. The structure of a jam is usually that everyone gathers on Friday afternoon, watches a short video keynote with advice from leading game developers, and then a secret theme is announced. All sites worldwide are then challenged to make games based on that same theme, with games to be completed by Sunday afternoon. In January 2011, teams in 44 countries created over 1500 games in one weekend!

It looks like a lot of the games are for digital/electronic media.

A few, however, are not digital

http://globalgamejam.org/games?field_platform11_value_many_t...[]=nondigital&title=&tid_1=&field_screenshot_list=All

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I wasn't even aware that there was a Global Game Jam, so I looked it up:

It looks like a lot of the games are for digital/electronic media.

A few, however, are not digital

http://globalgamejam.org/games?field_platform11_value_many_t...[]=nondigital&title=&tid_1=&field_screenshot_list=All

This has been brought to my attention. There are many board game designs created at this event but in my view they are overshadowed by the video designs.

I hope by having a Board Game exclusive event that great ideas and designs will see the full light they deserve. I am not knocking the GGJ, it has inspired me. I think the challenge of working cooperatively in a team to create a board game in 48 hours is exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Four potential sites in a couple of days!

Kamloops, BC
Montreal, QC
Ann Arbor, MI
Pullman, WA

need some non-North American sites

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Countries that have visited the Global Board Game Design Jam initial webpage. Now only if we can the UK and Germany to have representation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who's in/doing the Ann Arbor one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SlimJim wrote:
who's in/doing the Ann Arbor one?

A lady name of Lorraine Hopping Egan has expressed an interest

Lorraine Hopping Egan
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Sams Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Soon to be published!
mbmbmbmbmb
Copenhagen Calling!

Is there a way in which you could make an email list, keeping us updated on the event? I'm unfortunately quite likely to miss any updates solely on BGG, and hence completely sweat the event

Regards
Asger Granerud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:
Copenhagen Calling!

Is there a way in which you could make an email list, keeping us updated on the event? I'm unfortunately quite likely to miss any updates solely on BGG, and hence completely sweat the event

Regards
Asger Granerud

go to the web page i have up and running and post a comment with your email address and also subscribe to page updates
thanks
Clive

the url is http://boardgamedesignjam.wordpress.com/

as the group grows I will start an email list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For any of you have Google+ accounts, I am creating a G+ Global Board Game Design Jam circle. Please add me to G+ and send me a message on G+ asking me to add you to this circle.

Anyone who is interested in participating in this Jam that has web design experience would you please contact me. I am going to get a domain name soon and am looking for someone to design the website (hopefully gratis ) - unless we get some kind of sponsorship over the next little while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Only one issue with this. How do you handle components/bits? With computer games, the participants provide their own computers with compilers, image software, etc. But for physical construction of board games are participants supposed to provide their own printers, paper, cardstock, glue, card sleeves, 1cm^3 colored cubes, 1/2" wooden discs, various 24x36 board sheets for creating boards, a copy of The Game of Life in case they need a really big spinner, etc.

Hauling a laptop, maybe a mouse and/or a drawing tablet, perhaps some kind of joystick, etc to a computer competition is no big deal. But hauling bits and paper and laptops and printers to a board game design contest seems like you have to at a minimum plan for there to be a lot more room for equipment and playtest space. (And you need a laptop and printer at a minimum to write and print the rulebook, don't you?)

Aside from tables and chairs (and hopefully inexpensive refreshments), what will the hosting sites provide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Clive65 wrote:
some kind of sponsorship

You might look into craft stores for sponsorship as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or some of the game component suppliers, like the Game Crafter or similar stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what I am thinking...and some of it has been suggested in posts.

Each area would have an organizer. This person would have a location in mind: an FLGS, a school, university, etc...

As the main organizer I will contact groups like Staples and a company like Board and Bits to see if they would provide either a certain number of dollars for each group to use or physical supplies.

I would encourage the groups to bring any 'bits' they have along with scissors etc...
Printers and laptops would depend upon location. If you are able to use a school or university then these might be readily available. In the Global Game Jam it seemed most video game designers were using their own laptops as these came with the software they needed. The same is true for board game designers - on my laptop I have photoshop, illustrator, powerpoint, word, excel etc...

My goal right now is to get a domain name site and to get the site up and running. I think once that is done and we have some confirmed groups beyond the ones we already have (Montreal, Kamloops, Pullman, and Ann Arbor), then we can contact Jam sponsors.

Lastly, depending on how energetic the local organizer is, each regional/local group could look for sponsorship or a partnership. I am going to try and hook up my local group with the local University. These partnerships would increase local, regional and potentially global awareness for your group and for the event.

Thanks for the questions and feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.