Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - the GF and I are looking into going this year (we've paid for the tickets) and we have been coming up short in the eating food area. If we are staying at the Hyatt Regency the only option is to eat at the on site restaurant, St. Jacobs. They are charging $17.50/person for the buffet breakfast, so your looking at around $40 with tip just for breakfast for two. Of course, we don't have to have the buffet, but the other options looking at the menu are not exactly cheap either ($8.95 for a cup of oatmeal not including coffee at $3.95)

There is an "Awaken Package" which includes breakfast for two but they want $995 for the stay - $1114.40 with 12% tax - OUCH! Part of the concern is losing game time if we have to go offsite daily due to foodcosts at the airport.

Can we get a BGG rate with the breakfast thrown in for a bit more? I know I would be interested in that!

What are the rest of you doing for breakfast, if your staying at the hotel with no vehicle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would suggest grabbing either someone with a car or hopping the restaurant bus and stopping at a market or convenience store (I think at least one of those is near the bus route) for supplies such as bagels, pastries, jam, granola, etc. and then eating in the room most mornings. There will be other folks breakfasting some mornings and you might want to socialize, but non-spoiling food in the room is a great cost saver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks - I've got a health nut of a girlfriend and she won't eat any of that. She just dictated that beside me as I'm typing it. Any other options? Thank you for the quick response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, bananas, oranges, apples and other fresh fruit keeps for a few days as well. I don't know about the new hotel, but most hotels have coffee makers that you can use to make hot water for instant oatmeal packs... I suggested the "usual" sorts of things, but there are also healthy options that keep a few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If stocking up on fresh fruit isn't enough, the 24-hour Starbucks snack bar thing in the lobby has (I think...) muffins, etc, too. You don't have to spend $20 for breakfast. And, yes, the rooms have the standard one-cup-at-a-time coffee makers, too. And then there's always room service. I believe it has breakfast choices in the $10 range...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell fruits at the con as well. Apples and bananas mostly. They also have hamburgers and pizza and the like.

As far as breakfast specifically, in previous years when the con was elsewhere there was a Denny's across the street. That was pretty convenient. Will have to figure out something this year, but I plan to play it by ear. I will have a car as well, so that makes things rather more convenient.

Does anyone know what the parking situation will be? You get parking passes staying at the hotel right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The past few years there has been a "food cart" type of station just outside the main gaming area with grab and go food. Any chance the new hotel will provide that type of option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's terrible, but: at the con, I go with a pop tart every morning for breakfast.

I'm not proud, but I'm not hungry either. I'll take that arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm bad at keeping up on eating. I usually end up eating 3 days of starbucks coffee, a few bagels and creme cheese, and if I'm lucky a BBQ lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol! Thank you for the help regarding this. I'm looking forward to seeing if a 3000 person potential of the convention can sway the Hyatt.

I'm a big fan of a nice hearty breakfast, a light lunch, and a simple dinner. As well I have a hard time going without my eggs for breakfast. I require a lot of protein (both a want and need) and without it I just don't feel 100%. Good on you guys for being able to tough it out. I'll just crash over a day or two without my good eats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Really, a 17.50 buffet is our only breakfast option? Wow. At least the other location had Denny's. It wasn't great, but it was an affordable breakfast each morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there are plenty of choices. Here is the menu of one of the restaurants in the hotel, there's room service, the hotel may run a cash-and-carry service like we had at the Westin (but cheaper?), and then there's always (as in, 24-7) the coffee bar in the lobby.

Quote:
Curb your hunger any time of the day, or night at our convenient main lobby coffee bar featuring your favorite espresso and gourmet coffee brews from Starbucks. Relax in our comfortable lobby seating area and enjoy bagels, pastries, cookies, fresh fruit and a variety of on-the-go items while you wait for your flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the menu I was looking at. Thanks for posting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
BGG.CON Est. 2005
badge
RV7 Progress: Empennage kit acquired. Working on practice kits.
mbmbmbmbmb
The hotel will most certainly be running a cash & carry option, but I don't know yet what prices and food options will be.

The 24 hour Starbucks also carries a variety of food options - muffins, sandwiches, etc.

The bus route will be a different route this year, but it will include similar dining and shopping options. I'll post more once some of the details are worked out.

Rest assured that our goal is to not diminish in any way the quality of service and options y'all have come to expect at BGG.CON.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the GF: "Screw Denny's, find a good Ihop" Lol

Edit: I look forward to seeing the options available to us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Lol! Thank you for the help regarding this. I'm looking forward to seeing if a 3000 person potential of the convention can sway the Hyatt.

I'm a big fan of a nice hearty breakfast, a light lunch, and a simple dinner. As well I have a hard time going without my eggs for breakfast. I require a lot of protein (both a want and need) and without it I just don't feel 100%. Good on you guys for being able to tough it out. I'll just crash over a day or two without my good eats

Kevin,
I need my protein too and have serious food allergy issues to contend with... but I love whey protein shakes so it's not too hard... I just bring my powder, get some ice water, and Bob's your uncle! Sometimes I'll have a banana too, but (a) that's optional and (b) it sounds like that will be easy at the hotel.

I will get some heat-and-eat shelf-stable stuff; there's got to be a microwave somewhere for popcorn!! Also, I grimace about it, but I actually kinda like Beanee Weenie right out of the can... LOL

I will eat bigger lunches, probably by going to off-site restaurants. Worst case, I'll just have another protein shake.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From up-thread:
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Thanks - I've got a health nut of a girlfriend and she won't eat any of that. She just dictated that beside me as I'm typing it. Any other options? Thank you for the quick response.

Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
From the GF: "Screw Denny's, find a good Ihop" Lol

IHOP is food suitable for a "health nut"? shake Where do you guys live?? I wouldn't feed IHOP food (or Denny's) to my dog if I owned one! It's full of soy protein and HFCS, just for starters...

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really!?! I should have known. Lol. We only have the omletes there and they work when we are on a trip. The protein powder is a really good idea though, I think I'm going to do that. Do you know by chance if there is a good place to pick up protein powder with stevia in it? I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners.

Thank you!

Edit: How long do protein shakes keep you from feeling hungry? I'm good for an hour or so on one. I'm also about 230 lbs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Really!?! I should have known. Lol. We only have the omletes there and they work when we are on a trip. The protein powder is a really good idea though, I think I'm going to do that. Do you know by chance if there is a good place to pick up protein powder with stevia in it? I'm allergic to artificial sweeteners.

Thank you!

Edit: How long do protein shakes keep you from feeling hungry? I'm good for an hour or so on one. I'm also about 230 lbs.

We really are Jack Spratt and co... LOL... I am allergic to Stevia!

This one is Stevia only and available at GNC: http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3678894 Insane expensive though.

I'd just get whatever you normally like/use shipped to the hotel. If you put "please hold for arrival date: " on the box, they'll hold it for you until you get there. All hotels will do that IME. Worst case, you could put "please hold for BGG Con 2012" but then it will go into the BIG pile of stuff shipped to the hotel for the con and the volunteer staff will have to deal with it and then with finding you... I'd avoid that if you can.

The protein I love is no longer made, so I'm using up what I've got of it for now. I also am buying (it's on order!) 50 lbs of plain unflavored organic whey protein concentrate and four different half-pound packages of sugar-free flavoring powders. I'm going to roll my own since what I love (Champion Pure Whey Stack) has been discontinued after the company changed hands. :-(

Anyway, I'm HWP and a protein shake made with water holds me for 90 minutes or so but often that's all I need to make me forget about eating for several hours (and then it will be time for lunch, so no biggie). If I suspect I'm going to be hungry too soon, a banana or apple gives my stomach something to do while still being marginally good for me. Sometimes I will make them with milk instead of water if I really need it to hold me for 2-4 hours, but I don't do it often since milk is just liquid sugar IMO.

Denny's and IHOP eggs are not edible for me... they mix pancake batter into them to make them fluffier, and that pancake mix has got soy flour in it. shake I've got to ask for "shell eggs" to make sure I'm getting REAL eggs, and then I have to order them fried or something so that I can see that the egg hasn't been mixed up with illegal ingredients... and I don't really like eggs cooked that way. LOL I am a pain in the neck... protein shakes are MASSIVELY easier!!

If anyone knows a breakfast place like this one http://www.yelp.com/biz/original-hotcake-house-portland#hrid... near to the hotel, I will be thrilled beyond thrilled. They have to make their own pancake mix FROM SCRATCH though... if they use anything from a Sysco or FSA truck, I probably can't eat there.

JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maia McGrath
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last year I went to My Fit Foods which is a weight loss place. They have pre made from scratch meals that are good for 4 or 5 days. Just microwave & eat. All natural, no preservative & healthy. Tastes pretty good too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you know a lot about Ihop! I too can't stand soy products. Like corn it's almost in everything we eat. I think I will look into shipping some protein powder to the hotel a week or two before the con.

Now the issue I have is that I can't in good conscience eat at Ihop any more! The other place we eat on trips is Cracker Barrel. Don't kill that one for me. It's my personal favorite.

Thank you for the info.

P.S. You're the first person I've heard of that's allergic to stevia - that was a surprise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:

P.S. You're the first person I've heard of that's allergic to stevia - that was a surprise!

I don't know anything about Cracker Barrel so you're safe... we don't have that chain out here.

I know three others who are allergic to Stevia... it's just a plant... any plant can cause allergies.

WebMD says:
Quote:
Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Stevia might cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants. This family includes ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many other plants.

gulp
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bring a box of Cheerios and grab some milk each morning from the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
If anyone knows a breakfast place like this one http://www.yelp.com/biz/original-hotcake-house-portland#hrid... near to the hotel, I will be thrilled beyond thrilled. They have to make their own pancake mix FROM SCRATCH though... if they use anything from a Sysco or FSA truck, I probably can't eat there.

JAZ

There's an Original Pancake House in Grapevine, which is just a couple of minutes from the airport. Seems that that particular establishment also started in Portland.

Couldn't find if they make their own mix from scratch, but given that they mention formulas and recipes on their website, I'm thinking you might be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the hotel is attached to an airport; the folks who run DFW run landside busses between all the terminals, and I believe this includes the Hyatt. There are plenty of dining options at DFW. The only catch is that I don't know how many are outside security, and you need a boarding pass for a flight the same day to get through security.

(Note: if one is desperate and has a high enough credit limit, one can buy a fully-refundable ticket on any airline to any destination from DFW departing that day, use the boarding pass to go through security, eat, and then get the ticket refunded. It usually takes a week or two to get the credit back on your credit card, and refundable tickets on the day of flight are often in the $1000-$1500 range.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.