• [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe any of the airport restaurants are outside the terminal security checkpoints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dalley
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the dallas area and have often gone to DFW. There are no restaurants outside of security. However there lots of vending machines in the $2-5 range for a bag of chips. I'm sure that is cheaper than the food we could get at the hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:

P.S. You're the first person I've heard of that's allergic to stevia - that was a surprise!

I don't know anything about Cracker Barrel so you're safe... we don't have that chain out here.

I know three others who are allergic to Stevia... it's just a plant... any plant can cause allergies.

WebMD says:
Quote:
Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Stevia might cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants. This family includes ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many other plants.

gulp
JAZ

Food allergies can really take away a lot of restaurants out of your choices.
I am allergic to Rapeseed (Canola) oil and that removes a lot of restaurants from my choices. Unfortunately it is a cheap oil so many places like to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Awesome
United States
A-Nation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Part of the concern is losing game time if we have to go offsite daily due to foodcosts at the airport

Some of the most fun I've had is playing quick, portable games (typically involving dice, because that's how I roll) with a group of BGG'rs while out at restaurants.

There are always ways to maximize on game playing. Just ignore the stares that follow as each person stops to log their play when the food arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So.... local folks... I'll give someone $25 cash to bring a reasonably clean, functional microwave oven to me at the hotel on Wednesday... I don't care if it's a $10 microwave from Craigslist as long as it's clean and it works (though 1000+ watts moves to the front of the line)! Bonus points and smiles for the Dallas person who then wants to take it home with them, drop it off at Goodwill, whatever. I promise not to deliberately abuse it, so if you have an extra in your garage, you can make $25 and then take it home again Sunday.

Anyone? Let's work it out beforehand so we don't end up with 10 people trying to sell/rent microwaves at the hotel... unless there are others who do want them, of course.
laugh
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you asked the hotel if they offer microwaves? I know that we specifically booked a fridge for the duration of our stay because last time we had so much fun trying to keep a jar of mayonaise cool in an ice bucket (I ate a LOT of tomato sandwiches at the last BGG.con I went to)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmbmbmb
No time to eat, just game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the area, just wanted to say

1) The food in the airport is all inside security, as previously mentioned.

2) If you have a car, and go out the south exit (183) and down to Main Street (West) there is a ton of fast food options.

On William D Tate (where the Original Pancake House someone mentioned is) there is a large amount of chain restaurants. Be warned to get to it is a pain due to construction, traffic, etc (Sample of food there, Bostons, Red Robin, Hooters, Bone Daddys, Wild Wings, Pluckers, Freebirds, OPH, Californa Pizza Kitchen.... etc

3) I believe, but you should check this, that either the hotel or the airport does shuttles to Grapevine Mills Mall (which could also be driven to) it has a large # of restaurant chains outside, including a Cracker Barrel, as well as some generic mall food inside. (And a Warhammer 40k store for those who might be interested, but, they may be at the con themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice in the week or two before the con to compile a list of food options, especially those easily accessible from whatever shuttles are running from the hotel (whether those shuttles are provided by BGG.CON, the hotel or DFW) as well as the hours they're running and service frequency.

Restaurants could be grouped as follows:
--- Fast food (get food in 5 minutes; generally $8 or less a meal)
--- The upscale fast food options (Boston Market, Chipotle, Freebirds) - spend 20-30 minutes for the meal
--- Casual dining (CPK, Red Robin, Buffalo Wild Wings et al) - figure an hour for the meal
--- Family style (Denny's, IHoP)
They could be broken down further by food type (vegetarian, gluten-free and so on for those on special diets).

Is there any short-haul public transportation (other than taxis) that's easily accessible from the hotel? That might provide another option.

As for me, I'll probably partake of the hotel buffet for breakfast at least once; it would be nice to have other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If the restaurant bus works the same way as last year, there's no distinction between 5 minutes and 30 minutes: either your meal takes "one bus loop" or "two bus loops" to complete and you get back on the next time it shows up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was just speaking with the Hyatt DFW regarding the addition of the "Awaken Package" with BGG rate and it was a no go. If Aldie is interested in this idea perhaps he will have better luck.

Thankfully there seems like plenty of options available if we take the hotel bus for $5, or maybe the restaurant bus over to the Grapevine mall. We are going to be shipping some things to the Hyatt as well (preferred protein powder/all natural meal replacement powder from up here).

Just reserved a refrigerator as well so we should be good. Thank you for all your assistance and advice! I look forward to seeing what the BGG staff will have lined up as well once we are closer to the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
It would be nice in the week or two before the con to compile a list of food options, especially those easily accessible from whatever shuttles are running from the hotel

I would be glad to work on such a list, as I said i live close and eat over here all the time, that being said I don't know where the bus will take you from the hotels. I can for sure come up with some personal reviews/directions to most of the restaurants near the airport though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care what I eat and will plan on packing some healthy snacks and eating from the hotel when needed.

I'm coming to maximize game time and departing the game site for a bus ride doesn't sound like something I'm willing to do. When you figure in expense at the hotel--if that is the argument--and expense of my time away from the con, I'll buy hotel food.

There are healthy enough options inside the hotel or for delivery.

To each his own but so long as we have lots of water, we can live for days. Water and dice, that's all I need for this one!

Those 5 hour energy folks would be nice to invite back, too.

And I'm hopeful we don't have 7 more months of talking menus...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fowler
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
POPTARTS under $10 for a weeks supply vs $18/day at the hotel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yael Horowitz
United States
Colorado Springs
Co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea if the information is correct, but a quick look on mapquest indicates a Champps Americana across the street, a Dunkin Donuts down the street and everything from sushi to McDonalds within a 5 mile radius at most.

Of course, that means that having access to a vehicle is pretty helpful. If you have a car you can hit the Whole Foods Market about 5 miles away, Natural Grocers about the same distance or Sprouts, which looks a bit closer.

For me the plan is to bring a cooler, a bunch of healthy, easy traveling foods - nuts, fruits, veggies, good bread, etc, and just supplement from the hotel or a quick trip out to one of the markets listed above. I'm willing to take passengers.
grapecamelcaravanmintcamel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_f wrote:
POPTARTS under $10 for a weeks supply vs $18/day at the hotel?

One of those is food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamite wrote:
No idea if the information is correct, but a quick look on mapquest indicates a Champps Americana across the street, a Dunkin Donuts down the street and everything from sushi to McDonalds within a 5 mile radius at most.

Keep in mind that Champps is probably inside airport security, and not really an options. Yes, within 5 miles is a lot of options, but almost all of them will be as you said requiring a car, as most will be outside of the airport. Most of the restaurants you see listed in the airport will be beyond the security checks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Thanks - I've got a health nut of a girlfriend and she won't eat any of that. She just dictated that beside me as I'm typing it. Any other options? Thank you for the quick response.

Wait, what? She says "no" to granola for breakfast? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:
Thanks - I've got a health nut of a girlfriend and she won't eat any of that. She just dictated that beside me as I'm typing it. Any other options? Thank you for the quick response.

If you read the ingredients to most commercial granola you will realize that it is not a particularly healthy food, no matter how it is marketed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:

If you read the ingredients to most commercial granola you will realize that it is not a particularly healthy food, no matter how it is marketed.
My wife makes homemade granola - yummy! (though not cheap.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
For a quick breakfast, I have found that a Lara Bar is a pretty convenient option. They are fairly filling and are basically dates and nuts. Combine that with a vitamin B energy shot and I am good till lunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm planning on bringing a selection of fruit, nutrition bars and trail mix to essentially graze on. I'll protein-up at dinner. Save time & money. More gaming! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

My favorite is the yogurt with HFCS as the first ingredient. And the pink cancer donation tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
LennyS wrote:
Morganza wrote:
trenttsd wrote:
Kaizen Zanshin wrote:

My wife makes homemade granola - yummy! (though not cheap.)

Does she....I am intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.