Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Alton Brown's granola recipe is intriguing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this is where she came up with the idea.

As an added bonus, the house smells heavenly while baking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, this is where she came up with the idea.

As an added bonus, the house smells heavenly while baking!

So are you bringing enough for the whole class?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went out, bought the supplies, and made granola with that recipe tonight. It is VERY tasty! It was good while still a bit warm with milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Simpson

Richardson
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything to indicate that anyone else had already pointed this out to you - I apologize if this is redundant by now.

Before I found out that my friend had already booked a room for the con, I was looking at rooms available via the "Book Rooms Online" link at http://boardgamegeek.com/bggcon - this link takes me to a search especially with the block prices. We were hoping for a suite, but they aren't included in the block and so he booked something else so BGGCon would get credit for his patronage.

While I do not know how the search results I found compare to the Awaken package you mention, I do see that two available possibilities in the block are the King and the Double Queen with breakfast for two at Jacobs' Spring Grille.

Another thing I noticed was that the Deluxe Double Queen room comes with a refrigerator. You cannot get a Deluxe Double Queen with breakfasts, though, and you will pay an extra $30/night for the privilege of a refrigerator. However, I was very tempted because of the opportunity it would afford me to bring healthful food choices.

(This would also suggest to me that folks who medically require refrigerators, to store prescriptions and such, should be able to work something out.)

Best regards,
FemmeLegion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Iacoucci
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic! Thank you for posting that. I've spoken with the Hyatt and have changed my reservation. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
All your base are belong to us
mbmbmbmbmb
If you call the Hyatt reservation line, they can add a fridge to the regular room reservations for $15.

edit - that's a one time charge of $15, not per day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting to the airport 4 days early to check the area out with me and my wife for a vacation before the Con. I like all the restaurant suggestions I am seeing.
I had wanted to take a day out and drive a day out to San Antonio to check out Chunky's Burgers and the Four Horsemen Burger but I do not know if I want a 5 hour drive down and back as that would take a whole day away. Are there any good food challenges in the Dallas Area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
tawnos76 wrote:
I am getting to the airport 4 days early to check the area out with me and my wife for a vacation before the Con. I like all the restaurant suggestions I am seeing.
I had wanted to take a day out and drive a day out to San Antonio to check out Chunky's Burgers and the Four Horsemen Burger but I do not know if I want a 5 hour drive down and back as that would take a whole day away. Are there any good food challenges in the Dallas Area?

YMMV

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2011/may/25/dallas-fort-wort...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ikiru wrote:
tawnos76 wrote:

YMMV

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2011/may/25/dallas-fort-wort...

I suggest skipping Pluckers. They aren't even Austin's best wings.

I can't imagine that you'd want to drive down to San Antonio for burgers while passing right past what Austin offers, though. Stick to DFW and plan a separate trip to San Antonio. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilbia wrote:
Another thing I noticed was that the Deluxe Double Queen room comes with a refrigerator. You cannot get a Deluxe Double Queen with breakfasts, though, and you will pay an extra $30/night for the privilege of a refrigerator. However, I was very tempted because of the opportunity it would afford me to bring healthful food choices.

Wait, I missed this the first time through. $30 a night for a refrigerator? Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat = $120 for the chance to borrow a fridge for a few days?

For $99 with free Prime shipping I can buy
http://www.amazon.com/Danby-DAR0488W-Diplomat-1-7-Cu-Ft-Refr...

and just cart it into my room. Anyone with Amazon Prime could do that and have it shipped ahead to the hotel. At the end of the week I could donate it to Goodwill and still be ahead. (Or keep it to use at work, whatever.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:

And, even better, most of the reviews have one star!

This type of refrigerator will chill drinks, but it doesn't get cold enough for storing fresh food that can spoil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
Kilbia wrote:

Wait, I missed this the first time through. $30 a night for a refrigerator? Wed-Thur-Fri-Sat = $120 for the chance to borrow a fridge for a few days?

...but did you see this?

MungSu wrote:
If you call the Hyatt reservation line, they can add a fridge to the regular room reservations for $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff morales
United States
Near Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Lets Eat!
badge
I also live
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Digren wrote:

And, even better, most of the reviews have one star!

This type of refrigerator will chill drinks, but it doesn't get cold enough for storing fresh food that can spoil.

I agree. I think it would probably be better to go to WalMart and pick up a 5 day cooler and fill it with ice. Maybe something like a Coleman 70qt Xtreme cooler.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/480...
http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler-Blue/dp...

Pick up a few bags of ice while you at WalMart and I bet they are still mostly frozen by the end of the con!

Ill also be willing to take any cooler donations after you are done with them blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:

...but did you see this?

MungSu wrote:

We added a fridge to our reservation for $30 (I think - my wife made the arrangements) for the entire length of our stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Digren wrote:
Kilbia wrote:

...but did you see this?

MungSu wrote:

I thought that was per night.

Nodecam wrote:
LennyS wrote:

...but did you see this?

MungSu wrote:

We added a fridge to our reservation for $30 (I think - my wife made the arrangements) for the entire length of our stay.

Ahh, gotcha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura, just Laura
United States
Silicon Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kilbia wrote:
Before I found out that my friend had already booked a room for the con, I was looking at rooms available via the "Book Rooms Online" link at http://boardgamegeek.com/bggcon - this link takes me to a search especially with the block prices. We were hoping for a suite, but they aren't included in the block and so he booked something else so BGGCon would get credit for his patronage.
As of this moment, the web site shows BGG block rate of $209 available for a "One Bedroom Executive Suite" but only for certain nights: namely Tues, Fri, Sat, and Sun nights. To see what nights are available by the time you read this, uncheck the box for "Show available rates only" after searching for any dates within the conference parameters, and then repeat the search.

And so as not to completely hijack this thread, I will mention that when I called the hotel I got the following info (if it's wrong, please don't blame me, it's what someone at the hotel told me...I don't remember whether I mentioned BGG when I called):
Refrigerator is $15/stay, not per night.
Microwaves are not available.
Even the Executive Suite doesn't have a refrigerator or microwave (disappointing--the old hotel's suites had both).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LauraTheLabRabbit wrote:
I don't remember whether I mentioned BGG when I called):
Refrigerator is $15/stay, not per night.

I just got off the phone with them and the rep added a request for one to my reservation and indicated it was $15/stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
So.... local folks... I'll give someone $25 cash to bring a reasonably clean, functional microwave oven to me at the hotel on Wednesday... I don't care if it's a $10 microwave from Craigslist as long as it's clean and it works (though 1000+ watts moves to the front of the line)! Bonus points and smiles for the Dallas person who then wants to take it home with them, drop it off at Goodwill, whatever. I promise not to deliberately abuse it, so if you have an extra in your garage, you can make $25 and then take it home again Sunday.

Anyone? Let's work it out beforehand so we don't end up with 10 people trying to sell/rent microwaves at the hotel... unless there are others who do want them, of course.
laugh
JAZ

You need to talk to
Dale Wiegert
United States
Weatherford
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

He has brought a microwave to the hotel every year along with tons of microwave friendly food.
He is also easily swayed by $$$
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricin Prime
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I am really interested in this because I am flying directly into DFW and I hope to not have to survive on the hotel restaurant alone. It looks like if you are not driving you are stuck.

Also of you are going to the trouble of getting a microwave just buy one from a Costco. use it for the week and then return it, you get a known functional microwave and with their very nice return policy you get a full refund.

All I ask if you do this that you clean the microwave.

Ricin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricin wrote:
I hope to not have to survive on the hotel restaurant alone. It looks like if you are not driving you are stuck.

There will be a restaurant shuttle for those foolish enough willing to sacrifice precious gaming time for better meals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia Ziobro
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricin wrote:
I am really interested in this because I am flying directly into DFW and I hope to not have to survive on the hotel restaurant alone. It looks like if you are not driving you are stuck.

Also of you are going to the trouble of getting a microwave just buy one from a Costco. use it for the week and then return it, you get a known functional microwave and with their very nice return policy you get a full refund.

Ricin

Ricin,

I know you mean well, but as a Costco member for about 14 years now, I consider what you've just recommended to be "stealing" since they don't offer gear rental like REI does. Never mind the fact that I'm not going to have a car, and I doubt there's a Costco at the airport, so we're right back to the "transportation is a problem" scenario.

(BTW, what do you think happens to returned microwaves at Costco? I can promise you that they DON'T check them to make sure they're clean and then just return them to the warehouse sales floor; they are returned to the manufacturer as defective units with all the high transportation, material, and labor costs associated with the return of a single product. All for a few days' use? Hm.)

We're flying into DFW as well and will not rent a car. Some people say the resto shuttle takes too long, but I look at it this way:
d10-1 A change of scenery is good for a person
d10-2 Outside ("fresh") air is arguably also good for you
d10-3 A hot, non-instant, not-from-frozen meal tastes really good after multiple meals of sandwiches, beans from cans, and frozen food
d10-4 We'll make new friends and see old friends at the CON, and we can ride the food shuttle WITH those people to meals that we then eat together. I know I will really enjoy those social times even if we don't play heavy games (there will be small games tucked into bags for the time that we spend waiting!)
d10-5 All games and no food makes the hypoglycemic go "thud". That includes me. You can't win if you're asleep or if you feel terrible.
d10-6 Hotel food is always really expensive and if I want to have more money to spend on games and pimped-out components, then I should avoid paying hotel prices for meals.
d10-7 One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is the Original Hotcake House in Portland, OR, and they have a franchised location a few miles from the hotel: http://www.originalpancakehousedallas.com/ We are SO there, at least once and maybe every day if it's easy from the shuttle -- it's practically at the end of one of the runways so you could walk, except that it's 6.4 pedestrian-unfriendly miles. LOL They're even open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday! (Note to self: find someone with a car to go there late at night... that is SUPER entertaining as well as delicious).

All in all, I figure we'll go off-site once a day, and we'll look for ways to maximize those couple of hours while recognizing that it's also a healthy break.

See you on the shuttle!
JAZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricin wrote:

Ricin

You can afford to attend the con, but can't afford $50-$75 for a microwave and would instead stiff Costco for it ? Bad form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JuliaZ wrote:
d10-7 One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is the Original Hotcake House in Portland, OR, and they have a franchised location a few miles from the hotel: http://www.originalpancakehousedallas.com/ We are SO there, at least once and maybe every day if it's easy from the shuttle -- it's practically at the end of one of the runways so you could walk, except that it's 6.4 pedestrian-unfriendly miles. LOL They're even open 24 hours on Friday and Saturday! (Note to self: find someone with a car to go there late at night... that is SUPER entertaining as well as delicious).
JAZ

Looks awesome and is on my food itinerary now. Seriously, look at the menu. They have bacon pancakes and bacon waffles! http://www.originalpancakehousedallas.com/Breakfast.aspx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin in Kansas wrote:

Looks awesome and is on my food itinerary now. Seriously, look at the menu. They have bacon pancakes and bacon waffles! http://www.originalpancakehousedallas.com/Breakfast.aspx

Fair word of warning, I don't know where the construction will be at that point, but William D Tate is right in the middle of a huge construction project (unwinding 2 major highways, 121 and 114) It's mostly an issue at nights but getting to airport from there and back may require some creativity if you are unfamiliar with the area and relying on a GPS

but they are pretty good food there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.