Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, I decided to give this game a go with my son, age 10 and daughter, age 9. Both are experienced gamers for their age but my daughter hasn't played this game and my son has only played once.

There is only one 3 player scenario, Yorktown.

The game took only about 5 minutes to explain and we were ready to go. I took the British, while my son was the French and my daughter the Americans. The Americans have to capture all 4 VP hexes and hold them simultaneously at the end of a turn. This must be accomplished on or before turn 16. The British win by avoiding the above victory conditions or by eliminating 6 opposing units.

Game 1: The kids were unfamiliar with the tactics and brought their troops up piecemeal. I quickly cut the troops to pieces and claimed a victory by earning 6 VPs.

Game 2: The kids immediately wanted to play again but my daughter wanted to be the British. I showed them some flanking moves and bringing up multiple units together. I was able to breach the entrenchments but the British still won by getting 6 VPs.

Game 3: My son was now the British. Both me and my daughter managed to breach the defenses and capture 2 of the 4 VP hexes but once again the British eliminated 6 units for the win.

Game 4: I was the British again. The kids attacked much more intelligently than they did in the first game, and both breached the defenses. They also captured 2 of the 4 VP hexes but once again the British killed off enough units for the win.

Aftermath: The kids really enjoyed the game and wanted to keep playing, but it was time for dinner. This seems to be a tough nut for the Americans and French to crack. With only 16 turns to accomplish your goal, you can't spend too much time shuffling injured units off the frontline, especially if you are getting poor AP rolls.
It seems virtually impossible for them to win without horrific play or die rolls from the British.

I may try to tweak the victory conditions but it is a shame there is only one 3 player scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Strabala
United States
Hiawatha
Iowa
flag msg tools
With a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!

It's great to see the kids picking up on the strategy & tactics involved! I also appreciate you taking the time to help your children develop in this area...

Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember right, the trick was getting your light
troops ready on the flanks; then waiting for a high
AP roll to start a mass charge....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Clemson 40 Oklahoma 6
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
If I remember right, the trick was getting your light
troops ready on the flanks; then waiting for a high
AP roll to start a mass charge....

Good idea. Unfortunately the French and Americans only have one Lt unit each so you have to plod in with the regulars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.