Popular Tags: [View All]
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just try and buy buildings every turn, any competent player will take the spot before you, and work to prevent you from getting gold to purchase buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
You do not really have enough workers to try to actively prevent anyone from doing anything without hamstringing yourself in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Except a lot of quests need gold, and purchasing buildings can be very good for people even without the 6 point bonus, so it's not like you're placing a worker solely to block someone else and get no benefit from it.

It's a choice between balancing what's the best move for you and preventing others from achieving their goals.

Also, the two player game is very different from the 3-5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Yeah, as long as you are able to turn the gold acquisition that also advances your position, then it shouldd be worthwhile, but taking moves just to stop someone seems counterproductive in the 3-5+ player game. Two player game is of course an entirely different beast, because you are unlikely to aid a secondary player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fippy Darkpaw
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Entertaining review and mostly agreed, except on the box part. The insert is one of the best designed of any game imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, shipping is a completely different matter, isn't it?

I think the average board game owner will not have problems storing and transporting the game to game nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Incoming Priority Message...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, Pete!

T.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
eknauer wrote:

Rather than not figuring it out, I’m pretty sure it’s a deliberate case of the Germans assuming family gaming should not be about making your friends and family angry by fucking them over in dickish ways.

Wonder if "Fuck You Asshole" and "Eat Shit and Die" expansions are in the works?

Yeah, those were pre-release expansions, done back in 1942. IIRC, they involved genocide and death chambers. Yeah, Ze Germans are no strangers to direct confrontation, I mean after all, they did start two fucking world wars. But thanks for sharing. It was peachy.

And if someone's family and friends are such wankers that they can't handle a little bit of confrontation, they're probably the same ones who grew up needing to be told how special they were every day, getting little trophies for pedestrian "achievements".

"Achievement Unlocked: Born a pussy, die a pussy, and live life as a pussy" sounds like the XBOX one a person like that might receive.

Let's face it, though, for real. German-style games have plenty of fuckery. It's just passive aggressive. I've seen many a time where people took the Reed in Gric, even though they only wanted to block someone else. That's fuckery. It's meant to be a dick. Same with taking a role in Puerto Rico that you don't really need just to deny someone else opportunity. It's fuckery, but it's weenie, passive aggressive fuckery.

And the people that do those sorts of things chortle little wankerish congratulatory chortles to themselves, so happy that they were so bloody clever that they could hose their buddy so nonchalantly, with plausible deniability.

Sack up, stick it to them. Look them in the eye. Snake them out. Don't be a pussy.

This is one of the best posts I have read on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.