$10.00
Keith Bennett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I'd like to ask advice from people as to how they keep track of the plot when they play an adventure in this game. I mean, how many notes do you take, so you can follow where you are, what you're doing, etc, to make sure your following moves flow properly?
And that kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Google Doc, with notes about the mechanics of what happened. I keep the story pretty well in my head.

Here's a couple sample turns of a game:

Quote:
Ninth Adventure: a401 Earth - 2005 (8; Post Modern Era)
You have landed in the middle of London that is bustling with tourists and shoppers. Red London buses and black taxi cabs drive along the packed roads through familiar landmarks. Everything looks so normal and ordinary, but not everything is as it seems...
Special: If this is your first adventure your first Character event will automatically be e090 and when the Enemy is revealed, gain an additional +1DM. Any Human Characters without Aware are -1 to all Qualities here.

Turn 1: Explore
Rolled 7 => Nothing unusual
Event! Enemy
Rolled 6 => v516 Abzorbaloff (You have encountered the fat, repulsive Abzorbaloff (DM +2. Goals: 1-2: e156; 3-4: e178; 5-6: v516a). This creature comes from the planet Clom, in the same star system as the Slitheen. Roll 1D6 to see what you have encountered, adding +1 to the roll if the Turn Number is 7 or greater

Turn 2: Seek Information (Computers 3)
Rolled 9 => You discover some important information. Roll for a Plot event.
Goal: 516a Absorb! ((Goal 3) You discover that the foul Abzorbaloff just wants to absorb as many people as possible to sate its hunger. Take a -1DM. For each additional Character absorbed in this Adventure take another -1DM. If you have 2 Aware plus 20 Bravery, gain a +2DM.)
Event! Character e025 Harriet Jones (You have encountered Harriet Jones – a brave and straight-talking woman in her mid fifties- dressed in a smart suit. If you have encountered Harriet before, see e122. Otherwise, Harriet is MP for Flydale North - a loyal, hardworking and dedicated backbencher. She is Brains 6, Brawn 3, Bravery 8 (Aware, Bureaucrat, Charisma, History, Running, Thief). Harriet will join you as an Ally. If she can make a Brains roll, with a +1 bonus, Harriet knows some information that could prove useful – roll for a Plot event. If Harriet is killed, lose 1 Luck point.)
Brains roll: 11, fail

There's a lot of copying and pasting from the pdfs involved.

I also have a separate Google Doc that a I use as a character sheet to keep track of my stats, Companions, Equipment, Quests, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Bennett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Ah, well I've printed the playing sheets out, and use pen and paper. I find it more convenient sitting at a table than at the computer. I suppose I'm just kind of old fashioned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDoctor394 wrote:
I suppose I'm just kind of old fashioned?

Or you've got more ink and paper than I do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Character sheet available - plus loads of cards to represent Equipment, Companions, allies, Goals etc - you could try printing those.?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Bennett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
I've seen the character sheet, but cards?? Where are they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDoctor394 wrote:
I've seen the character sheet, but cards?? Where are they?

Check in the files section - loads to see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Bennett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Ooohhh, thank you. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radagast Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I keep an 'adventure sheet', as I call it, where I keep track of all the key things as they go on. I copy over the character details of my TARDIS crew, their equipment, and any spare Luck that I'm bringing in, and as I arrive at the Adventure, discover the Enemy and the Goal, etc I write down their specifics; as I meet allies or have significant events I add them to the list. The only things I don't put on that sheet are short, note-intensive activities - usually combat situations, but other calculations or things that need a quick jot down go on a scratch sheet.

I really should formalize my adventure sheet and provide it as a blank document - one of these days! -sigh-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Bennett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
RadagastWiz wrote:
I keep an 'adventure sheet', as I call it, where I keep track of all the key things as they go on. I copy over the character details of my TARDIS crew, their equipment, and any spare Luck that I'm bringing in, and as I arrive at the Adventure, discover the Enemy and the Goal, etc I write down their specifics; as I meet allies or have significant events I add them to the list. The only things I don't put on that sheet are short, note-intensive activities - usually combat situations, but other calculations or things that need a quick jot down go on a scratch sheet.

I really should formalize my adventure sheet and provide it as a blank document - one of these days! -sigh-

Yes, that's how I'm trying to do it, although I'm using a pad. I like pads. They're more ordered than loose sheets of paper. But I'm still working out what needs to be recorded, and in what way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Dean
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on the computer so I keep a text document open and enter in the die rolls, paragraph titles/codes, etc. It's very sketchy and is intended on just capturing enough detail that I can keep track of what's going on and, if necessary, pick the game back up later if I'm interrupted halfway. I note my running totals of DM and Luck at the end of each turn, as that seems to be easier for me than scrolling back up and adjusting something above. It also lets me make sure I've accounted for everything as I go along.

Lately, I've been leaving off the die rolls. I put them in there at the start so that I could double-check that I'd added in all the appropriate modifiers and such, but I've got enough confidence in my understanding of the system that I don't bother doing that double-checking anymore. It was handy when I was learning though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.