Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, I can't find this in the rulebook.

1) How many moves does it take to drop off goods, or is delivery a free action?

2) If I enter a city, can I turn around and leave the same way I came in? If so, is this all cities, or just large ones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Sleight
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Delivery of goods is a free action. After delivering the goods, you may then pick up goods to replace them, and/or continue moving.
2) Yes - you can reverse direction at any town/city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANK YOU! I was going crazy trying to find it, when it suddenly occurred to me that I could just ask here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
For some reason, I can't find this in the rulebook.

1) How many moves does it take to drop off goods, or is delivery a free action?

2) If I enter a city, can I turn around and leave the same way I came in? If so, is this all cities, or just large ones?

Both answers are on page 4 of the Empire Builder series rulebook. I have quoted the relevant rules text:

1) A player picking up or dropping off a load incurs no movement penalty and may still travel up to his full movement allowance. During the Operation Phase, a player may load, unload, and move his train any number of times in any order.

2) A train may only reverse direction if it is in a city (including all major city mileposts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One key point on delivery though. Before you can pick up additional goods, you have to pick up your next demand card.. in the periodic event that it is a derailment, it could cause you to lose a second load before you pick up new goods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so thematic that your train can be derailed while it is sitting motionless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Some play a variant in which load pickup and/or delivery consumes a certain amount of movement. I've never tried it. I suppose it slows the leader, who presumably is doing more pickups and deliveries, but it will also slow opponents trying to catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would favor larger loads, which already seem to be favored with the normal rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more questions that have popped up.

From what I understand, when putting track down, you only draw to one of the six exterior points, and each player is only allowed to draw track into/out of two of the six points. If I am correct, am I allowed draw track to a single point from multiple directions, or just one (and once I've drawn one track to that point, no other tracks can enter that point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I was able to decipher your question.

Any player can connect any two points on the map. Only one player's track can be between any two points. You may draw as much track as you wish to a single point from the other six directions.

The exceptions to this will be stated in the rules. For example, players must always be able to build into major cities, so there must be at least one possible connection for each player. Likewise, at least three players must be able to connect to large cities, and two to small cities. You can't intentionally block other players out of cities, however you can make it more expensive for them by forcing them to build inefficient track (although this is almost never worth the time, and banned in the WBC tournaments).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I think I finally have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the issues I've been having, combined with an inability to properly phrase the issues I was having, made me decide to go d/l the most current rulebook. I have the very first edition rules, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Things are clear, and concise. Vague rules have all but disappeared. No wonder I was having such an issue.

And to clarify what I was looking for earlier, I thought each player was only allowed to enter a major city at two separate points TOTAL in the whole game (Meaning that if I have a track touching the north point, and a different track touching the south point, I can't connect to any further points in the city), instead of leaving two separate points max PER TURN.

What a massive difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
figarojones wrote:
So the issues I've been having, combined with an inability to properly phrase the issues I was having, made me decide to go d/l the most current rulebook. I have the very first edition rules, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Things are clear, and concise. Vague rules have all but disappeared. No wonder I was having such an issue.

And to clarify what I was looking for earlier, I thought each player was only allowed to enter a major city at two separate points TOTAL in the whole game (Meaning that if I have a track touching the north point, and a different track touching the south point, I can't connect to any further points in the city), instead of leaving two separate points max PER TURN.

What a massive difference.

Indeed. It might be the difference between victory and defeat. Hell, it probably WOULD be the difference between victory and defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carrick
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
Indeed. It might be the difference between victory and defeat. Hell, it probably WOULD be the difference between victory and defeat.

I know for a fact that my wife lost because of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.