Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have fun!

What are some of your favorite moments in gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raimond
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götalands län
flag msg tools
Northern Lights
badge
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. (Carl Sagan 1934-1996)
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammer Man
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Michael!!!

Enjoy your week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

I throw games with my son all the time, the best ones are the ones where he wins by surprise, and I am amazed I didn't see it coming. (obviously not Candy Land)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maggie Ferrill
United States
oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Michael!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Do you believe in aliens?

I’m not sure what you’re asking here as I can see the question meaning two different things, so I’ll answer both.

1) I believe that aliens probably do exist somewhere out there in the universe. This belief is based purely on statistics and I realize it may be wrong.
2) I do not believe that aliens have visited Earth. Perhaps they have, but there hasn’t been any conclusive evidence to that effect.

Quote:
Does bigfoot exist?

Again, I’m going with a NO here. However, in the case of aliens I believe that many of the people who say they saw them actually believe what they are saying. I’m of a mind that Bigfoot sightings are all deliberate hoaxes.

Quote:
If you were a Smurf, which one would you be?

Pablo. Oh wait, wrong small blue cartoon creature…

Quote:
a) Have you ever been to Spain or The Netherlands?

Yes, I’ve been to Amsterdam. I never made it to Spain, but I went to Berlin, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Lucern, Avignon, and Paris.

Quote:
b) What game in my collection would you like to have in yours?

Absolutely none. I do own a few of the same games as you, but we are clearly on completely different gaming wavelengths otherwise. soblue

Quote:
c) What game in my collection you dont like?

See above.

Quote:
d) If you could save just three of your games... what games would you keep and why?

Save?! Why do I have to save them? Assuming a natural disaster is about to strike my home and I’m going to rebuild my collection eventually, I go for saving games that would be a pain to replace. That’d be my VS CCG collection (it’d be hell to collect the same cards again), League of Six (never printed in the US and the expansion was a bear to get a hold of), and Doom :The Boardgame (because I actually painted all of the pieces).

If, on the other hand, I’m trying to save three games because the zombiepocalypse has finally occurred, I’d want to travel light. I’m saving Race for the Galaxy, Innovation, and Qwirkle.

Quote:
e) Brunetes, blondes or redheads (boys or girls, whatever your taste is)?

While I am a big fan of hair on top of a woman’s head, I can’t say that the color has ever been much of a factor in my decision-making.

Quote:
What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?

RED! I feel so strongly about this that I have the appropriate microbadge.

Quote:
Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?

Hmmm. I’m going to go with Autumn although Spring runs a close second.

Quote:
Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?

No, I have absolutely no musical talent.

Quote:
What would have been your name if your parents didn't name you Michael?

My brother’s name was Patrick so perhaps I’d have his name and he’d have another? I’m pretty keen on the name I have though. It means “like unto God” and who wouldn’t like that?

Quote:
What is your favourite snack?

I’m not a snacker. I just require a constant IV drip of some beverage.

Quote:
What is your favourite day of the week?

Saturday is gaming day!

Quote:
What is your favourite time of day?

Evening.

Quote:
What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?

Hmmmm. I going to go with Dr. Bashir. I like the idea of being a genetically superior human and hiding it from everyone else.

Quote:
What makes you "tick" ?

Arthur does.

Quote:
What is your life-long dream?

Is this a sneaky way to gather data for the poll?

Quote:
What are some of your favorite moments in gaming?

I can remember various scenes from my role-playing days that were a lot of fun. While I can’t recall the details, I know that I’ve had a number of great “on the edge” moments playing Battlestar Galactica as the future of the human race hinged on one die roll or card flip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maura Denman
msg tools
Given the superpower to be able to pull it off, what gamer "ailment" would you cure first and why?

a) AP
b) fear of missing out while bathing or the more extreme Ablutophobia
c) gamer neuropathy - a condition that results in the inability to sense that clothing is no longer covering body parts - including but not limited to the midsection and the buttocks

Settlers will always be considered THE ORIGINAL "gateway game". If you had to pick a more modern gateway game what would it be and why?

What is one theme that you feel has never adequately been captured in a hobby game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! First I inspire Neil to post for the first time in two YEARS and now a new user seems to have cropped up as well.

Quote:
Given the superpower to be able to pull it off, what gamer "ailment" would you cure first and why?

a) AP
b) fear of missing out while bathing or the more extreme Ablutophobia
c) gamer neuropathy - a condition that results in the inability to sense that clothing is no longer covering body parts - including but not limited to the midsection and the buttocks

Hmmmm...

A) I don't think I'd choose this one because I can adapt to it. Usually by frequent teasing, but in more extreme cases I can sit at a different table next time.
B) As you know, I have an intermittent sense of smell at best. However, when it DOES work, it seems to work twice as hard. While BO usually wouldn't affect me, I think THIS is where I'd spend my efforts since it's AGONIZING when it does work.
C) I'd let this one pass. It's kind of like a gamer train wreck where you look without wanting to. The difference is that I don't usually have so many regrets after seeing an actual train wreck.

Quote:
Settlers will always be considered THE ORIGINAL "gateway game". If you had to pick a more modern gateway game what would it be and why?

It might depend a lot on the new person. If they really liked conventional card games, I can find something to relate to that. Or if I knew of a subject they really liked, I might choose something with a similar theme. From my own collection, and having nothing else to go on, I think I'd choose Around the World in 80 Days. It's not too hard to pick up and the nature of the game makes it easy to help new players through their first few turns.

Quote:
What is one theme that you feel has never adequately been captured in a hobby game?

There are three themes that are certain to catch my eye and I don't think any of them have been explored adequately. They certainly haven't been explored as often as trading goods in some earlier age of man has.

1) Superheroes - Will anyone EVER get this right? There have been some good tries, but no real wins yet. I've got a lot of hope in the game being developed by Plaid Hat Games (you guys need another playtester?). Nothing else on the horizon really has me very hopeful yet... but I'm watching.

2) Time Travel - Quite frankly, I'm not sure what I expect to see in a game related to this theme, but nothing's grabbed me yet. Chrononauts seemed like a good idea, but it was just too random for my liking. Khronos just wasn't very fun.

3) Mixed Genres - This has been done well, but there's certainly room for more. I just love mixing cowboys with pirates with jedis, etc etc. I was INSANE for Duel of Ages when it came out. I even have a playtest credit of some sort because I just wouldn't shut up on their message boards. Unfortunately, my opportunities to play the game faded and so did my love for the game. Heroscape was pretty good too, but it was WAY too much to set up and the cost started climbing more quickly than I liked. I see that AEG has Smash Up coming this year and I'm crossing my fingers on that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulation Michael!

Enjoy your week in the spotlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely do need a good superhero game!

Time travel I just think is so hard to implement but I good mixed genre game could cover this nicely I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmanw wrote:
I throw games with my son all the time, the best ones are the ones where he wins by surprise, and I am amazed I didn't see it coming. (obviously not Candy Land)

What I like to do is construct some sort of algorithm for how I play and see how it goes. Like when I play Go Fish with Madeline, I go through asking for only the even numbers in order, then the odd, etc etc.

madmanw wrote:
We definitely do need a good superhero game!

Time travel I just think is so hard to implement but I good mixed genre game could cover this nicely I think.

Duel of Ages sort of had time travel covered, but not in the way I'm thinking.

With the superhero games, I know Plaid Hat Games is working on something and that there's a deckbuilder called Midnight Men trying to get off the ground, but that's it. I can think of five published superhero games that are worth mentioning : X-Men Alert, Capes and Cowls, Heroclix, Marvel Heroes, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Michael,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Royal
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fellow Texan!
My wife and I live in Humble/Atascocita/Kingwood area of Houston.
We moved from Florida to Texas last April so we're still Texas Noobs.
Experienced the Houston Rodeo (4 times); BBQ cook-off, PBR, Shopping and Brad Paisley concert.
Now it's time for the crawfish festival (seriously, a month and a half of water bug festivities?).

We seem to have the opposite problem than you have in Katy, more FLGS than you can shake a stick at and just as much traffic.

Anyway,,,, my question revolves around some of the games you listed in your GotW bio. We seem to have followed a similar gaming path (although I'm a few years older than you) with RPGs and mini-games.

Do you still have/play any of the older games you started with (i.e. Task Force, TSR, OGRE, etc.)?

I loved playing those types of games although most of them were never rated very high, but they were simple and portable and easy to sneak into the chess club.

Congrats and do Texas proud as #341 Geek of the Week!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roosterfish wrote:
A fellow Texan! My wife and I live in Humble/Atascocita/Kingwood area of Houston.

Anyway,,,, my question revolves around some of the games you listed in your GotW bio. We seem to have followed a similar gaming path (although I'm a few years older than you) with RPGs and mini-games.

Do you still have/play any of the older games you started with (i.e. Task Force, TSR, OGRE, etc.)?

I loved playing those types of games although most of them were never rated very high, but they were simple and portable and easy to sneak into the chess club.

Humble, eh? You're a ways off from me. I know there's gaming in your direction though. Justo runs MagCon up there and I believe Corey games fairly regularly at his place. Maybe you've crossed paths with one of them before? No, I don't have any of those mini-games any more. A friend of mine might actually own a few, but I've never thought to ask. I've found that whenever I re-encounter a game from my past, it just doesn't hold up so well now. I had different tastes back then. Thematically, I suppose I haven't changed a lot, but I just can't tolerate pushing around a bunch of tiny little chits any more. I think the game I remember best from back then would be Gondor. If I were to revisit one of those old SPI games, that'd be the one I'd like to try again.

Karlsen wrote:

Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

1 - Race for the Galaxy (only because I play Keldon's game against the AI)

2 - Innovation (I also enjoy the 4-player partnership game but I don't play it that way nearly as much)

5 - Battlestar Galactica (not necessarily my favorite 5-player game but it is the game I most strongly associate with five players)

6 - Mall of Horror

7 - 7 Wonders (Of course)

Oh, and I do enjoy many party games, but I have a hard time getting them played nowadays.

Sorry, but there are just too many good games at 3 and 4.

Space ships = Galaxy Trucker
Witches = Wicked Witches Way
Trains = Train of Thought
Transport = Around the World in 80 Days
Building = The Castles of Burgundy
Pink = Punk Sucht Lady even though it simply has one pink deck of cards.
Theme = Battlestar Galactica
Ships = Vasco da Gama
Money = Filthy Rich
Government = 1960 - The Making of the President
Infrastructure = 7 Wonders
Dice = Escape (only because I've been watching this one with interest lately)
Gemstones = Incan Gold

Your other categories don't cause a game to leap to mind although I'm sure I could eventually match them up with something.

Karlsen wrote:

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

It'd be very easy to push one of the hot, new games, but I think I'd rather push something that everyone else ISN'T pushing right now. Actually, two games. One is Vasco da Gama. My group loves it and I think too many dismiss it as being similar to other games they know. I don't think it's similar to anything else I've played. If you think it's simply a worker placement/shipping game, you're wrong. This is a game of risk management. The other I'd push is League of Six. I don't know why this one was never picked up by a US publisher like Rio Grande, but it's a damned shame. I like it a lot more than Shipyard and I will probably like it more than Last Will over time, but Last Will does still have that new game smell.

Karlsen wrote:

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Hawaii - I can't get enough of this one right now. I wish the rules had been released before BGG Con last year so I could have known THEN what a great game it was.

Race for the Galaxy - It's one of my lunchtime games so it gets a lot of action.

Gloria Mundi - What possessed the publisher to say this game handles up to six players? This is a two or three player game. PERIOD.

Village - It sounded good on paper, but I find it a bit too clunky in actual play.

Last Will - I'm still sorting out my own feelings on this one, but it is undoubtably a crowd-pleaser amongst my group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Have a great week under the lime light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

Humble, eh? You're a ways off from me. I know there's gaming in your direction though. Justo runs MagCon up there and I believe Corey games fairly regularly at his place.

Justo moved to Florida like over a year ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirkerry wrote:
Trump wrote:

Humble, eh? You're a ways off from me. I know there's gaming in your direction though. Justo runs MagCon up there and I believe Corey games fairly regularly at his place.

Justo moved to Florida like over a year ago.

Oh! Did he just hand over Magcon to someone else to keep it going?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
frumpish wrote:

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naivete?

Truth
Speed
Justice
Flexible
Cynicism

And for what it's worth, only #4 caused me to pause in the least when answering. Hmmm, that probably ties in to #2...

I had the exact same reaction, also pausing at number 4 only! Is that a common geek thing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

Oh! Did he just hand over Magcon to someone else to keep it going?

Yep,
David Donohoo
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

runs MAGcon now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

1) Superheroes - Will anyone EVER get this right? There have been some good tries, but no real wins yet. I've got a lot of hope in the game being developed by Plaid Hat Games (you guys need another playtester?). Nothing else on the horizon really has me very hopeful yet... but I'm watching.

Speaking of Superhero games. Do you now regret selling Capes & Cowls: The Superhero Board Game, after seeing how much it is fetching now and what what did you not like about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gameguru wrote:
Trump wrote:

Speaking of Superhero games. Do you now regret selling Capes & Cowls: The Superhero Board Game, after seeing how much it is fetching now and what what did you not like about it?

I don't buy games to collect. It drives me nuts trying to trade a game with someone here on BGG and they're obsessed with game values being a few dollars off so they don't want to trade. I trade a game I'm not playing for one that I will play. That said, how can I not be happy to get all of my money back when I do sell a game? With Capes & Cowls, everything worked out just fine by me. Even if it's selling for $10,000 right now, that doesn't really matter. Would I have been happier just having it sit around here because it MIGHT go up in value? Nope.

I didn't really NOT like it as much as I didn't play it. It's really hard for me to be in a situation where I can play a two-player game and in those special circumstances, I can only get certain games played. C&C wasn't often one of them. I thought it was an interesting abstract superhero battle game, but ultimately I think I want a superhero game more akin to Marvel Heroes where you're managing a bit more. I want something that tells a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
gameguru wrote:
Trump wrote:

I don't buy games to collect. It drives me nuts trying to trade a game with someone here on BGG and they're obsessed with game values being a few dollars off so they don't want to trade. I trade a game I'm not playing for one that I will play. That said, how can I not be happy to get all of my money back when I do sell a game? With Capes & Cowls, everything worked out just fine by me. Even if it's selling for $10,000 right now, that doesn't really matter. Would I have been happier just having it sit around here because it MIGHT go up in value? Nope.

I didn't really NOT like it as much as I didn't play it. It's really hard for me to be in a situation where I can play a two-player game and in those special circumstances, I can only get certain games played. C&C wasn't often one of them. I thought it was an interesting abstract superhero battle game, but ultimately I think I want a superhero game more akin to Marvel Heroes where you're managing a bit more. I want something that tells a story.

Thanks for the great answer my friend. Not sure if you remember or not, but I'm the one who bought it from you and have always wondered why you sold it. I must say that I'm VERY happy that you did, as it's truely the grail game of my collection and I love playing it.

We surely could use a really good Superhero game, as you've explained. Afterall, we have 80 million train and civilization type games. Why not a few more super hero games?

Hope you're having a fun week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions:

coffee How did you meet BGG ?

tobacco What are the qualities of a good player ?

indigo What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

sugar Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

corn Do you have any unfulfilled dream ?

Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.