Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

We've played the shadow elves twice now and both games we didn't know what the factions strengths were and what was a viable strategy for them. We understood that they are fast, but they are also very weak (easy targets for an opponent).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it depends on who you are playing against. They are really good at playing fast and furious. Take advantage of the three moves of the swordsman and the 4 of Xaserbane - plus the event cards that move all of your units 1 space. It can be very hard to block your possible attacks.

I also really like the Hydrake. I myself tend to build almost all of the scouts and rangers and summon all of the swordsmen, the Hydrake, and Xaserbane. Take advantage of the into the darkness event to make your opponents commons disappear just in time to strike with a swordsman, etc.

But that's just how I play them. I'd be curious to hear other feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hydrake needs to be the mainstay of the SE. He's the only true 'heavy hitter' and you probably need to have him out in most matchups to have a good chance of winning. As a disclaimer, I have not yet played with any of the SE reinforcements, so that may not apply if you mix them in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any of the reinforcements yet for SEs.

I agree about the Hydrake, it's certainly felt like the mainstay, the only problem was getting it to the board. The player went down to 1 unit and a summoner just to get it out. Though obviously this is our only example of playing with this faction. I'm sure in the future that will change!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My take on playing the Shadow Elves is that their commons are really weak, but their events are extremely powerful. I pretty much always build magic the scouts, because summoning them is almost like giving your opponent free magic. The Swordsmen are much better, but you have to be able to drop them and earn a kill immediately. They're too fragile to count on surviving a turn before they attack. Rangers are somewhere in the middle. Usually I build them, but sometimes you need an extra ping. Like a lot of races, you have to concentrate on getting your Champions out, and use your strong events to compensate for weak commons.

Also, this is purely speculation and my opinion based on playing them not that many times (so take it for what it's worth): Selundar needs to be attacking. He's a beast, but if you always hide your Champion in the back and never roll dice with him, I don't think Shadow Elves are the right faction for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
My take on playing the Shadow Elves is that their commons are really weak, but their events are extremely powerful. I pretty much always build magic the scouts, because summoning them is almost like giving your opponent free magic. The Swordsmen are much better, but you have to be able to drop them and earn a kill immediately. They're too fragile to count on surviving a turn before they attack. Rangers are somewhere in the middle. Usually I build them, but sometimes you need an extra ping. Like a lot of races, you have to concentrate on getting your Champions out and, use your strong events to compensate for weak commons.

Also, this is purely speculation and my opinion based on playing them not that many times (so take it for what it's worth): Selundar needs to be attacking. He's a beast, but if you always hide your Champion in the back and never roll dice with him, I don't think Shadow Elves are the right faction for you.

Good call on the events - they're very useful and pretty powerful. Selundar does seem like one of the best Summoners in the game, for combat stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, you should also say what are your problems with the faction. I have been playing them a lot lately to understand them (I was convinced they were the weakest of the Master Set) and the blind tips I can drop are this: Always go first if you can pick, cull your starting units to gain magic and prevent Catch Up Events (it's basically impossible to get rushed thanks to Into Darkness), if you rush you are pressing harder the luck of the draw (you NEED to draw shadows) so turtling is safer, try to summon Hydrake as your first UNIT, save Xaserbane and Stalking Advance x2 in hand until the end and go straight to the summoner (better combo it with Summon the Night or when the opponent has 0 Magic), Malidala sucks but she is useful as an opener to turtle (when you have no Hydrake in hand early on) or as a super late game unit, Swordsman is your best common so try to summon the 3 you have in deck.

Then it kinda depends on what faction you are facing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petejacko wrote:
I agree about the Hydrake, it's certainly felt like the mainstay, the only problem was getting it to the board. The player went down to 1 unit and a summoner just to get it out. Though obviously this is our only example of playing with this faction. I'm sure in the future that will change!

This is not a bad thing.

I refer to this as "doing it right."

edit: itwouldhelpifIcouldtype
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Against a low life summoner like Ellien these guys are really tough, they get so many chances to hit him with all their extra mobility. If you are playing a beefier summoner the game becomes trickier and you need to try to play a more control game using your speed to take out the right targets at the right time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

Many thanks for your comments to date.

I do agree that 'ideally' I should of given examples of where I'm struggling with them. But I am still quite new to the game and I genuinely felt a little lost.

Also, many thanks on the suggestions on building magic and using events. Plus timing attacks is something we are starting to learn.

I'm intrigued by the comment about going down to one unit is 'doing it right'. I feel that you are limiting the attacks possible on you and therefore reducing an opponents potential magic pool. But (and forgive my inexperience) doesn't that just leave your walls, and more importantly, your summoner exposed?

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL REPLIES, THERE IS EXCELLENT FOOD FOR THOUGHT HERE ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can put your summoner behind your wall where he should be relatively safe. Against some factions that wall can last quite long (like the BD, DD) but against others you need to defend it (like the MV, SO) so it depends. The good thing about culling your units is that it gives you magic, so although the opponent gets the first move to your side, you summon a strong unit and get the first hit on his.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
you can put your summoner behind your wall where he should be relatively safe. Against some factions that wall can last quite long (like the BD, DD) but against others you need to defend it (like the MV, SO) so it depends.

And best, if they're coming after you, put your Summoner in a defensible position so that they can't get to him this turn, but in chasing after him open themselves up to that four-die smack down (and also the Swordsman drop-in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, understand, there are some very good solid strategies but they are all tailored to the other faction you are playing (obvious really).

Now, all I need to do is leave work and go home and play Summoner Wars!!

Asking the impossible, is there one faction that you'd recommend to a newbie or against someone that hasn't seen or played the game before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I tend to use Guild Dwarves and Tundra Orcs when teaching someone. But if you're talking Master Set only, I'd go with MV and SE. Next would be the SG. But definitely not the SO, BD, and DD.

On a side note with SE, I felt they really benefited from their reinforcements. The base deck makes you want to rush the enemy, but not so easy to maintain it. However, reinforcement units like Hunters and the champ Melek make it easier to maintain the pressure without having to rely so much on the Hydrake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Bullock
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petejacko wrote:
I'm intrigued by the comment about going down to one unit is 'doing it right'. I feel that you are limiting the attacks possible on you and therefore reducing an opponents potential magic pool. But (and forgive my inexperience) doesn't that just leave your walls, and more importantly, your summoner exposed?

The Shadow Elves are one of the factions in the game with a "catch-up event" or a CUE.

The card in question, of course, is Into Darkness. The catch-up part means that its original intent was that if saves you if your opponent is crushing you, but in practice CUEs tend to encourage you to have less Units on the board particularly if you're playing against another deck with a CUE (in the Master Set, that's the Deep Dwarves and the Benders). If you keep your Unit count low, the Deep Dwarves and the Benders can't use either of their resource-gaining event cards (Summoning Surge and Magic Drain, respectively). In fact, if you're doing a really good job of it, those two cards can just clog up their hand. All of this is good and if you're building your Commons (I am not a big fan of either Scouts or Rangers), you'll get the Hydrake down on the table and use your awesome events (a double Stalking Advanced Hydrake + a Summon the Darkness to keep him safe while camped next to a Summoner is legitimately terrifying and crushed my DD at GenCon).

Now, against the Mountain Vargath and the Swamp Orcs, things are a little different. Obviously, Into Darkness is still an excellent tool. Getting rid of Hunters and Shamans without a Vine Wall spawning, or removing some of those pesky Brutes (the Shadow Elves can have some trouble with those 3 life Commons early). Into Darkness is also good for trying to set up assassination attempts on Sunderved, which are probably your best bet v. the big fella. (Though, I'd still build all my Scouts, because it's not like you're going to spend any time on their side of the board.) You don't want to play too many Units v. the SO, because you don't want to help them get too many Walls with your low-life Units, but you need to keep enough on the board so that you can clean up any Walls that come down (particularly if they kill their own Shamans to spawn some VWs). The thing is, the Hydrake is once again one of your best bets here, so killing some of your starting Units (the SE have an awful starting setup) and building hard and fast to get him helps speed up the game and helps you try to kill Mugglug before there are too many Walls for your low life to handle.

That's a Wall of text, but hopefully sheds some light on what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jackson
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkbladecb wrote:

Thanks so much for spending the time to write this 'wall of text' ... it certainly does more than shed some light, it makes the Shadow Elves sounds like a unique faction to play.

Also, it seems that their strengths might not be entirely obvious, but certainly sounds like a fun faction to play for experienced players ... challenges + rewards!!

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Boses
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petejacko wrote:
darkbladecb wrote:

Thanks so much for spending the time to write this 'wall of text' ... it certainly does more than shed some light, it makes the Shadow Elves sounds like a unique faction to play.

Also, it seems that their strengths might not be entirely obvious, but certainly sounds like a fun faction to play for experienced players ... challenges + rewards!!

Thanks again

+1 super helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mudmonkey wrote:

+1 super helpful!

Hhmmmm...wasn't it though...ninja

I'll get you yet, Simon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Boses
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalidor wrote:
mudmonkey wrote:

+1 super helpful!

Hhmmmm...wasn't it though...ninja

I'll get you yet, Simon!

Told you I read up on the strategies! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.