Age of Industry» Forums » Strategy

Subject: how often do you develop compared to Brass? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hdp 0
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
In Brass it's not uncommon to e.g. develop away half your ports, or half your mills, and I don't remember the last time I wanted to play a level 2 coal mine.

In the industries where developing is not mandatory to play them, which industries and under what circumstances do you develop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Baig
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
What the Hell are YOU staring at?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I curious about this as well, develop seems to be a weaker action in AoI. It's necessary for Shipyards and Box Factories, of course, but other than that, I guess it might be beneficial to develop with an eye to overbuilding somebody's iron works or coal mine.

As a side note, I'm wonder why you rarely play level 2 coal mines in Brass. It's the single biggest income boost in the game (although a level one cotton mill might get the same or more selling to the distant market).

(Edited for clarity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can figure overbuilding should be more common in AoI than in Brass, due to the relaxed rules and lower costs. I made some rather lengthy arguments to this effect in another thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/533207/initial-thoughts-on-w...

For example:
Capoeirista wrote:
For one the cost of voluntary overbuilding is relatively small, usually 2VPs vs building the same industry elsewhere. On top of this, overbuilding provides fairly flexible placement allowing you to pre-empt other players without having to first draw cards or allowing you to repeatedly take advantage of a well connected part of the board rather than having to build more rails. It also ensures that cards remain useful even towards the end of the game when the board starts to fill up. To top it all off, save for coal and ports, you are no longer required to overbuild like for like, allowing you to do tricks like replacing potentially vulnerable iron mines with factories to stop your opponents doing the same. These factors should conspire to make overbuilding a far more attractive proposition, and therefore a far more common occurrence, in Age of Industry than it was in Brass. This has definitely been borne out by the two games I've played so far.

If I was being incredibly facetious, I might even argue that AoI is in essence nothing more than a land grab and whoever gets the most spaces on the board will eventually over develop them and win. This would be a grotesque oversimplification, but there is an element of truth there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hdp 0
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well, the same is true in Brass, except it's even easier to lock people out of certain parts of the map while grabbing land (hello, Birkenheard and B-i-F). There's less overbuilding, but you definitely have to extend your network or risk being squeezed out of places to play your eventual level 3 and 4 buildings. If anything, AoI is more forgiving here because of its region cards vs. Brass's location-specific cards, though that varies greatly by map -- Japan doesn't seem very good for a late-game airdrop of a level 3 cotton mill, but Germany often has spots open.

(Earlier I think I meant level 1 coal mine, but I can't remember -- I haven't played Brass in a year or so.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Springer
United States
Brooklyn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Capoeirista wrote:
As far as I can figure overbuilding should be more common in AoI than in Brass, due to the relaxed rules and lower costs

Much, much more common. I rarely see overbuilding in Brass (maybe twice per game) but it's pretty difficult to NOT be overbuilding at the end of a game of AoI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.